Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Russia in Revolution and Stalin's Russia (EDEXCEL AS History) - Predictions! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has Social Realism or The Cult of Personality ever been asked before? I think that could come up for D4 this year.

ReputationRep:
    A question for Soviet Culture was asked in June 2010, and the Jan 2013 paper had a question on Totalitarian Society, which probably includes the Cult of Personality.

ReputationRep:
    My predictions are either economy or 1905 for D3, with 1917 rev as another. For Stalin... FYPS? Women? Terror?

ReputationRep:
    What about Russia as a Superpower?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dead End Street)
    What about Russia as a Superpower?
    My history teacher said he thinks it could be that because it's never come up
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Does anyone think there's a good chance of the causes of the 1905 Revolution coming up? I would be so happy

ReputationRep:
    Unit 1 Past Questions

January 2009
    D3: Russia in Revolution 1881-1924

• How far were divisions amongst its opponents responsible for the survival of Tsarist rule 1881-1905
    • How far was the Provisional Government responsible for its own downfall?

D4: Stalin’s Russia 1924-1953

• How far were economic problems responsible for Stalin’s decision to replace the NEP in 1928 with the Five Year Plan?
    • How far was the dramatic development of a war economy responsible for the USSR’s victory in the Second World War?

June 2009

• How far do you agree that the economy of Tsarist Russia was transformed in the years to 1914?
    • To what extent were the weaknesses of their opponents responsible for the survival of the Bolshevik government 1917-1924?

• How far do agree that the collectivisation of agriculture made a significant contribution to Stalin’s transformation of the Soviet economy?
    • To what extent did Stalin establish a personal dictatorship 1929-1939?

January 2010

• To what extent did Russia undergo economic and political reform 1906-14?
    • How far was Lenin responsible for the Bolsheviks holding on to power 1917-24?

• How significant were the personalities of the contenders to succeed Lenin in accounting for Stalin’s defeat of his opponents 1924-29?
    • How far did Stalin’s social policies change the lives of women and children in the years to 1945?

June 2010

• How far do you agree that the use of repression was the main reason for the

weakness of opposition to Tsarism 1881-1914 ?

• To what extent does the impact of the First World War explain the outbreak of two revolutions in Russia in 1917 ?

• How successful were the Five Year Plans in transforming Russian industry in the years to 1941 ?
    • To what extent did Soviet culture perform a political role in the USSR in the years 1924-53 ?

January 2011

• Why did Tsarism survive the Revolution of 1905 but not that of March (Feb) 1917 ?
    • How far do you agree that the brutality of the Bolsheviks was the main reason why they remained in power 1917-1924 ?

• How far were divisions over the continuation of the New Economic Policy responsible for the contest to succeed Lenin in the years 1924-1928 ?
    • How far do you agree that the most important result of the repression of 1934-38 was the strengthening of Stalin’s political dominance ?

May 2011

• To what extent was the Tsarist system of government modified 1881-1914 ?
    • How accurate is it to say that Lenin’s leadership was the most important reason for the Bolsheviks’ success in the revolution of 1917 ?

• How accurate is it to say that the most important result of the collectivisation of agriculture was that it imposed Communist control on the countryside ?
    • Why, despite the disasters of 1941, was the USSR able to defeat Germany by 1945 ?

January 2012

• How accurate is it to say that the growth of reformist groups in the years from 1881 was the main cause of the 1905 Revolution ?
    • Why was the Provisional Government so short-lived ?

• How far did the aims and key features of the Five Year Plans change in the years 1928-1941 ?
    • How accurate is it to say that the lend-lease programme was the most important reason for the USSR’s victory in the Second World War ?

May 2012

• How far was Nicholas II responsible for the fall of the Romanovs in 1917 ?
    • How far do you agree that Trotsky’s leadership of the Red Army was

responsible for the survival of the Bolshevik government ?

• Why were Stalin’s opponents unable to prevent him from becoming the

leader of the USSR by 1929 ?

• To what extent did collectivisation improve Soviet agriculture 1928-41 ?

January 2013

• How accurate is it to say that Tsarism survived 1881-1914 mainly because its opponents were too weak & divided to challenge it effectively ?
    • How far do you agree that the Bolsheviks consolidated their hold on power in the years after the October/November Revolution mainly through the use of violence against their opponents ?

• To what extent was a totalitarian state set up in Russia in the 1930s ?
    • To what extent was the strength of the Soviet economy responsible for the USSR’s victory in the Second World War ?

ReputationRep:
    I'm hopeing so much that the 1905 revolution comes up! I'd like to think that the great terror or Russia being unprepared for war would come up as well! They would literally be the perfect questions!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by GeorgieM)
    I'm hopeing so much that the 1905 revolution comes up! I'd like to think that the great terror or Russia being unprepared for war would come up as well! They would literally be the perfect questions!
    Couldn't agree more

ReputationRep:
    I just hope 2 causation questions come up and I'll be happy

ReputationRep:
    I just want two causation questions to come up and I'll be happy
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Don_oz)
    I just want two causation questions to come up and I'll be happy
    Causes of the 1905 Revolution would be amazing

ReputationRep:
    I doubt theres really enough content on the personality/ lifestyle topics to really warrent a full question is there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fs1205)
    Can Someone please help me with structure of causation and change qns for this unit 1 paper. I'm ok with content but structure is a problem for me. (I blame my teachers for this!)Please can someone help me. Any help would be much appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I structure it like so:

Paragraph 1:
    Other than factor of Q, give 3 other reasons why so-so/or something happen
    State these 3 reasons in brief (1 or 2 sentences)
    Judgement at end; although (factor in Q) was an important reason for so-so/event happening, this factor (one of your 3 stated) was more important for several other reasons (setting up for exploration in essay)

Paragraph 2:
    Address factor in Q with a PEE (point, evidence, explain) relating to the Question. At end, round up your judgement by referring to factor you stated (in detail, PEE)

Paragraph 3:
    Now address another factor using the same process as paragraph 2 for your MAIN factor (judgement). You could counter-argue here, giving you another PEE.

Paragraph 4:
    Now use your other factors and use the formula from paragraph 2, referring back to your judgement always!

Paragraph 5:
    Conclude properly, another PEE is needed, and do not rehash your points. Tell the examiner strongly hammer home why you think it and you're done!

Should be 3-4 sides I think.

Hope this helps, I made this frame myself and my teacher thinks its good. See what you think.

ReputationRep:
    hey what do you guys think will come up?

I'm hoping for the early stuff something on the 1905 revolution, or the civil war?

And for the stalin stuff something on the FYP's like what caused them, and something on the great retreat e.g women, education etc

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/41702

ReputationRep:
    [B]Hey guys...My examboard is AQA I dont think there areany threads on Stalin from my examboard so can you guys help me plz?
    I wrote anessay onStalin and wanted your feedbacks and a grade if poss or a mark our of 12 plzz??
    Thank youuuu [/
    B]

Why was Stalin able to achieve total power in the USSR by the end of the 1920’s?

Stalin was able to achieve total power in the USSR by the end of the 1920’s because of his strengths and ruthlessness, the weaknesses of Trotsky, the suppression of Lenin’s Statement, the roles of others in the Politburo and Stalin’s luck.

Stalin was seen as a leading figure in Lenin’s last years when he had suffered a series of strokes and was speechless. This made Stalin seem like the next successor. They believed that Lenin liked Stalin too. Being the general secretary of the Communist Party meant that Stalin used his power to appoint junior officials. They all supported him as they owed their jobs to him so when electing the Politburo; Stalin had control of the organisation. This gave Stalin even more power as he only chose people who he thought were loyal to him. Additionally, Stalin had tried to make him seem close to Lenin as Lenin was seen as a hero by Russians and they were glorified by him. Therefore Stalin altered some photographs to make him seem like Lenin’s right hand man. Stalin organised Lenin’s funeral and he made sure he seemed like he loved Lenin by writing a book called ‘foundation of Leninism’ in which he praised Lenin’s ideas specially the NEP, this again favoured the ordinary Russians who had had enough of the low economic situations. Furthermore, Stalin’s strengths helps him achieve total power as he was seen as a grey blur and therefore when he lied to Trotsky about the funeral date, Trotsky trusted him and didn’t turn up to the funeral and therefore was seen as someone who didn’t really care about Lenin, the hero of USSR. He also changed the name of the city from Petrograd to Leningrad in Lenin’s honour.

Trotsky’s weakness was a reason why Stalin was able to achieve total power because Trotsky was very arrogant and believed that there were no opponents against him so he would be the successor. Though he saw Stalin’s good organising skills as a grey blur and he felt that Stalin was dull and boring though he knew little about Stalin’s intentions behind his actions and the way Stalin was accumulating power through good organisation. As a result, Trotsky trusted Stalin and never realised that Stalin might be plotting against him and therefore listened to the wrong date of funeral Stalin had told him and didn’t come to Lenin’s funeral, this made Stalin look more committed to Lennie than Trotsky and this made members of public almost dislike Trotsky because they loved Lenin and even embalmed his body and wept openly on streets. Additionally, Trotsky was too occupied in spreading communism and he wanted “Continued Revolution” and he didn’t really care about what the members of public wanted because the members of public wanted to have a period of stability and enjoy the communism in the country a bit. His idea of fast economic development went against Lenin’s ideology of the New Economic Policy. This again made Trotsky seem as though he didn’t’t really care about Lenin. As well as, Trotsky leading the Red Army made the members of public fear that he will begin military dictatorship.

Another reason why Stalin was able to achieve total power is through the suppression of Lenin’s Statement. In 1922, Lenin feared about Stalin’s growth of power within the Party. As his last will, he wrote a Statement about who he thought was suitable to be his successor. In this statement Lenin had made clear that he believes that Stalin was too rude and impolite and that he shouldn’t be allowed to be his successor and that even though Trotsky was arrogant, he was the most able man in the Party to be the next successor. Even though, Lenin’s wife wanted to publish this statement, Stalin persuaded the Politburo not to publish this statement and Kamenev and Zinoviev’s timidness led to the suppression of Lenin’s Statement. This was an obvious advantage for Stalin as the Russians would take Lenin’s words as law so if they saw the Statement which strongly criticised him, he would never have had the change to achieve total power over USSR.

Stalin was able to achieve total power because of the propaganda and his organisation of the policies. Stalin used propaganda to make himself seem as the natural successor. This appealed to many people as they thought it was Lenin’s wish to have Stalin as the next successor. Stalin’s organisation of the policies was very clever. He sided with the NEP at the start and gained Kamanev and Zinoviev’s support against Trotsky, so he was able to dismiss Trotsky as Commissar of War and he was dismissed from the Communist party. Then, when Kamenev and Zinoviev began to favour the fast economic development, he dismissed both of them from the politburo and the communist party claiming they were going against Lenin’s ideologies. Instead of Trotsky, Kamenev and Zinoviev, Stalin appointed new members who were loyal to him in the Politburo, such as Bukharin. Later on, in 1928, Stalin put an end to NEP and used the idea of fast economic development to develop USSR’s economy, in this case, Bukharin was against Stalin as he supported NEP but he was too weak to understand Stalin’s plans and ended up being expelled from the Politburo. This left Stalin and his supporters being in charge of the Politburo and to achieve further power, Stalin exiled Trotsky out of USSR. This left Stalin with total power over USSR.

Overall, Stalin was able to achieve total power over USSR because of many different reasons including the weaknesses of all the members of Politburo and public around him and his ruthlessness and ability to be an opportunist at times. One of the main reasons for his achievement would definitely be the belief that “he was a grey blur”.

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone got their results back for this exam now? I did absolutely ****- E! Luckily I got a high B in my other exam so brought my grade up to a C. But was still absolutely gutted, was such a good exam too!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by GeorgieM)
    Has everyone got their results back for this exam now? I did absolutely ****- E! Luckily I got a high B in my other exam so brought my grade up to a C. But was still absolutely gutted, was such a good exam too!
    Aw that's such a shame, but at least you managed a C! Well done

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Dan Stow wrote:

These deplorable scenes shamed our football club last night, and marred what should have been a fantastic match. As a young Bromley FC fan (not affiliated with the mindless thugs who attended last night), one can only feel saddened and shocked with the awful scenes witnessed at last night's match. Whilst the violence can never be justified, and must be condemned in the strongest possible terms, these are not Bromley FC 'fans' - the large group who attended last night's match rarely, if ever, attend home matches (only Dartford FA Cup in recent weeks/months). The mindless hooligans tarnished the reputation of a small and proud football club last night, whilst attending the football simply to cause hurt and trouble. They are shameful and one can only hope to see them banned from Bromley FC. However, it must be emphasised that these 'fans' are a small minority of what is otherwise a club which has no reputation of supporter misdemeanours, and I feel that although last night's scenes were absolutely shameful, one can only hope that the family/community aspect of Bromley FC is not forgotten - a reputation for good sportsmanship, good behaviour, families at football, and not mindless thugs and hooligans who wish only to hurt the reputation of our football club. As a fan of the same age as these fools who travelled with two other friends, one can only apologise to the families and supporters of Ebbsfleet United FC, the majority of Bromley FC supporters home/away have never behaved/witnessed scenes such as last night, and wish never to see them again. Football is for football, not for violence, and whilst a friendly and competitive rivalry must coexist between these clubs for the benefit of football, violent scenes should never have to be witnessed by anybody within a football stadium. Disappointing that the focus was not on a fully deserved crucial three points from the players, who did do our club proud last night.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.