Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Taking off is brilliant, but the rest of the flight will probably be uneventful, unless you're hijacked or you crash or something.

The only other thing I'd suggest you worry about is comments from other stupid passengers - some of what I've heard:
    "Funnily enough, it never rains when I fly" (you're above the clouds, moron)
    “Can’t you turn off the engines? It's too noisy, I can't hear myself speak.”

ReputationRep:
    I've been on 3 Easyjet flights recently, all I can say is always overestimate how long you'll need in the airport - getting through security can take ages! Once you're on the plane, it's fairly crowded; if you're claustrophobic at all try and get an aisle seat. (Having said that easyjet is all assigned seating so your seat number will be on your boarding card, which you can print out at home). The pilot will introduce himself (herself) via the tannoy system and speak to you at the start and end of the flight. Cabin crew are really friendly. Takeoff can leave you with a sinky feeling in your stomach but other than that the journey's pretty uneventful. Just follow the signs in the airport and give yourself plenty of time, it'll be fine. Hope you have a great holiday!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ryanair charge you extra to land.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    Ryanair charge you extra to land.
    Ahh, aviation...

Takeoff is optional,
    Every landing is mandatory.

One other thing to remember is that you can usually book your seats 24 hours in advance, and it's usually a good thing to do so. You can also do a bit of a pre-check-in and it will make it a bit faster going past the desk. I can't remember how you do it online, I think you just print out some boarding information and then you scan it and your passport at the terminal. It will just save a bit of time.

Be super careful to check the weights and dimensions regulations for BOTH of your flights. Some airports have slightly different limits on what they'll handle, so you can have the awkward situation of travelling out with more stuff than you can actually take back. It's usually not a major problem, but check the airport information from where you're travelling and you can look for dimensional information. Check what you can take with you in the aircraft (sometimes one bag, sometimes two) and weigh it before you leave. Some airlines are okay with overweight bags and others will go crazy about it. Be safe and be under the limit. You'll bring back stuff anyway and so you'll want space for those things.

Just be prepared to give a lot of time before your flight. It's inevitable that you'll go through security quite quickly, but there can be major delays. It's not like hopping on a bus and just going somewhere, you have to go through several desks, security and then find your flight. I've very rarely had problems and so we just go and grab some food before the flight.

Flying is quite uneventful. Take off and landing are the only exciting bits as you accelerate, climb and then descend and decelerate on the ground. Shorter flights probably won't have a TV, but I take headphones just in case... On some flights they won't work, so I have a flight adapter on my headphones too. Bring some money on the plane for drinks too - For long haul (British Airways, etc) you can usually get free drinks, but shorter flights will probably not offer this and may not offer food. Just check those sorts of things out.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    My gran and papa are paying for my holiday since its my 21st and my mum got a fancy diamond ring for her 21st lol. My papa is coming up to my flat tomorrow to book it. The best deal we have seen for a joint flight and hotel deal is for 3rd-10th June 2013. My passport came back a few days ago thankfully but my boyfriend applied for his the same time as me and put down that it was his first passport but the passport office said he had one when he was 10. He didn't know about it because he never got to use it and his mum died when he was 11 and he moved in with his dad so it probably got lost with all his mum's things. He filled out a form explaining what happened and told the passport office. Do you think his new passport will come thru in time for 3rd June? I'm worried about booking it for then just in case it isn't through in time!

Thanks for your replies btw, you are making me all more excited to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    Ahh, aviation...

Takeoff is optional,
    Every landing is mandatory.

One other thing to remember is that you can usually book your seats 24 hours in advance, and it's usually a good thing to do so. You can also do a bit of a pre-check-in and it will make it a bit faster going past the desk. I can't remember how you do it online, I think you just print out some boarding information and then you scan it and your passport at the terminal. It will just save a bit of time.

Be super careful to check the weights and dimensions regulations for BOTH of your flights. Some airports have slightly different limits on what they'll handle, so you can have the awkward situation of travelling out with more stuff than you can actually take back. It's usually not a major problem, but check the airport information from where you're travelling and you can look for dimensional information. Check what you can take with you in the aircraft (sometimes one bag, sometimes two) and weigh it before you leave. Some airlines are okay with overweight bags and others will go crazy about it. Be safe and be under the limit. You'll bring back stuff anyway and so you'll want space for those things.

Just be prepared to give a lot of time before your flight. It's inevitable that you'll go through security quite quickly, but there can be major delays. It's not like hopping on a bus and just going somewhere, you have to go through several desks, security and then find your flight. I've very rarely had problems and so we just go and grab some food before the flight.

Flying is quite uneventful. Take off and landing are the only exciting bits as you accelerate, climb and then descend and decelerate on the ground. Shorter flights probably won't have a TV, but I take headphones just in case... On some flights they won't work, so I have a flight adapter on my headphones too. Bring some money on the plane for drinks too - For long haul (British Airways, etc) you can usually get free drinks, but shorter flights will probably not offer this and may not offer food. Just check those sorts of things out.
    I'm 90% sure that you can still plug your normal headphone plug into the aircraft ones. I know the planes have two holes, but I think if you plug your headphones into one of the holes it works fine (Or it may be mono, not sure)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I'm 90% sure that you can still plug your normal headphone plug into the aircraft ones. I know the planes have two holes, but I think if you plug your headphones into one of the holes it works fine (Or it may be mono, not sure)
    Yeah, it can produce a mono sound and you have to wiggle it to make sure it picks up the signal. For like, a quid, I just bought an adapter and I stick it in my earphone pouch whilst flying. BA usually use the stereo 3.5mm jack though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    I fly every few months or so, and have travelled quite extensively.

If you have never been on a plane before, takeoff can be quite unnerving, especially when the plane climbs or banks in a turn, and particularly if you aren't keen on heights, and you have never experienced such a thing before.

I'm not a big fan of heights, but I love flying, this is because I have complete confidence in the flight crew and the machinery, and the scientific principles behind it. You're actually more likely to die whilst driving to and from the airport.

Easyjet operate (relatively speaking) smaller aircraft of about 180 seats, give or take a few extra, these are almost exclusively the A319. There will be about thirty rows of six, seats in 3-3 (ABC DEF) layout. A and F are window, C and D are aisle.

As you haven't flown before, I recomment that you get a window seat so you can see what is happening outside. Therefore you are less likely to be bothered by the movement of the plane as you will have a visual frame of reference of what the plane is doing.

Unless you pay to get on the plane first though, you had better get to the front of the queue at the boarding gate, as the window seats all go first, and people start queueing as often as 45 minutes before the gate opens.

At the Airport - you arrive, hopefully early. You should aim to be at the airport 2 hours before an EU departure and 3 hours before something long haul. You will have either a printed boarding pass or need to pick it up at the desk. With Easyjet, it is better to check in online and print your boarding pass at home on a good quality printer. B&W printing works.

Ensure you scrupulously abide by the rules, including all the airline's rules designed to part the unwary or unprepared with their money - bag too big? Check it in for £60 extra at the gate. No jokes or banter about bombs. Make sure your luggage meets the size and weight restrictions and has no prohibited items, especially in hand baggage (by the time you discover that you can't take something on the plane at the airport, your checked baggage will already have been stowed and it will be too late to transfer it) - obviously knives and sharp pointed objects (with exceptions), but also there are restrictions on liquids or gels, no liquids, aerosols, creams or paste foods like chocolate spread over 100ml or 100g in your hand luggage, except where contained within a transparent 1l resealable bag which must not be so full that it won't reseal. UK airports charge a lot for these, so get one before you travel.

At security, you will have to scan your boarding pass and then queue at the security check (often you will be queueing here for an hour or more, so arrive early) your bags scanned and you will be asked to walk through a metal detector/scanner (I'm not 100% sure if the body scanners at Manchester and Heathrow where the operator can see you pretty much naked have been scrapped, although I have a feeling I read somewhere that they had been.

Make sure you take out your laptop from its case (if you have it) and the transparent resealable bag containing liquids and place those in a separate tray from your coat/boots*/belt and any metal items you might be carrying. Often a coin or watch is enough to set off the metal detector and this will mean you get a pat down/wanding from security. Make sure all this is sorted before you get to the scanners. *You don't always have to take these off unless asked to do so.

Then you are in the departures area with loads of shopping and other stuff designed to extract money from you. Shop as you please, but bear in mind that Easyjet and many other airlines will still be enforcing number of bags, weight and dimension guidelines at the gate.

Look at the departure boards to find the details of your flight. These don't always show immediately, particularly if you arrive early. There are often many gates, and sometimes up to fifteen minutes walking time between where you go through security, and your flight departs (yes, Dublin, I'm talking about you)

At the gate, get in the queue early, particularly if you want a window seat. Easyjet doesn't assign seats, unless you pay, or pay for priority boarding. At least people in the UK respect the queing system (yes Poland, I'm talking about you) and if you are at the front of the queue, you will not be queue jumped until you get onto the tarmac, but then you will be ahead of the rest of the rabble and once you get to the bottom of the jetway or the steps, no one will be able to pass you.

Anyways, you are in the queue at the gate and when you get to the front, your passport and documents will be checked by the airline personnel. Have them ready. Keep them ready for when you get on the plane as they will want to see your boarding pass at the door to the plane. If bossible board the plane from the steps at the back, this way you will avoid all the parents with children and pushchairs (or at least most of them) holding up everyone getting on the plane at the front.

Find your seat and stow your luggage above in the provided compartment. Don't sit in the exit rows in the middle of the plane, people have to pay extra for these. Conversely, if no-one has taken these by the time everyone is on the plane, you may be asked if you want to move to one because by law they need someone to sit here in case the exit needs to be opened on emergency landing. Do so, these are premium seats, its considered an upgrade. Children may not sit here though.

Sit down and fasten seatbelt. Turn your phone off. Obey the instructions of the flight crew, that is no electronic equipment usage is permitted until the plane is in cruise, along with keeping your seat upright (not reclined) seatbelt fastened window blinds and tray tables up. When the pilot turns off the fasten seatbelt sign, you may fiddle with all these things and get up to use the toilet.

Depending on weather conditions, the thing that is most likely to bother travellers is turbulence. This is perfectly normal and poses little to no danger to the aircraft. Unless you happen to be flying through a typhoon like I was last year over the South China Sea, although these are not common on the way up to Iceland.

Onboard the plane, Easyjet staff will walk up and down providing hot beverages, sandwiches, toasties, beer, wine and snacks - judging by the interminable announcements - at extortionate prices. My advice, bring your own. Particularly be aware though that you will not be able to bring any drinks onto the plane purchased before you get through security.

After several hours, the plane will arrive at the destination. Again, depending on the weather, the landing can be a little exciting, but any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Get off the plane along with everyone else, along to passport control. Since the UK is not in Schengen, your passport will be checked when you arrive.

Walk through the passport check area, pick up your bags and exit through the GREEN channel (arrivals from EU) although in practice, the BLUE one is fine. You are unlikely to have anything to declare (goods upon which duty is payable, like large amounts of spirits or tobacco, so don't use the RED channel unless you do.

Oh, and last but not least, before your flight, make sure your passport is in order, and you are arriving at the right airport (and terminal if applicable).

A few years back I was flying on Easyjet out of Luton and I was stuck behind a woman at the counter. Apparently the reason why she couldn't find the gate her plane was departing from on the boards was because her flight was actually departing from London Stansted, and she expected the guy at the desk to be able to sort it out for her.

"But I followed all the signs that said 'Airport' on the motorway" isn't going to help you out of that at all.

Have a nice trip.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone. I am going on my first ever holiday abroad in June for my 21st and yip, I've never even been on a plane before!

My mum was never keen on travelling so hence why I've never been on a plane.

I'd just like to know what it is like on a plane and what to expect at the airport. Basically any advice or info you could give would be fab!

I'm going to Reykjavik and flying from Edinburgh with EasyJet.

Thanks peeps!
    Just thank God that you're not flying with Ryaniar.

EasyJet is generally a nice airline to fly with as they're often really friendly and the plane journeys are nice as they fly smoothly. Being in a plane is like being in a car except the flight is smoother and the engines are a lot louder. The take off and looking outside the window whilst flying (if you're not afraid of heights) are probably the most exciting parts.

Be careful about what liquids you take too. You can't take any liquids over 150ml (including bottled water) with you. If you do have liquids, you have to put them in a see through plastic bag.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Boring and uncomfy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    Just thank God that you're not flying with Ryaniar.

EasyJet is generally a nice airline to fly with as they're often really friendly and the plane journeys are nice as they fly smoothly. Being in a plane is like being in a car except the flight is smoother and the engines are a lot louder. The take off and looking outside the window whilst flying (if you're not afraid of heights) are probably the most exciting parts.

Be careful about what liquids you take too. You can't take any liquids over 150ml (including bottled water) with you. If you do have liquids, you have to put them in a see through plastic bag.

Good luck.
    Nothing wrong with Ryanair. The only people who have problems with Ryanair are those who don't scrupulously read the rules designed to part you from as much money as possible, and apply whether the airline is Ryanair or Easyjet.

And it's 100ml.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    Nothing wrong with Ryanair. The only people who have problems with Ryanair are those who don't scrupulously read the rules designed to part you from as much money as possible, and apply whether the airline is Ryanair or Easyjet.

And it's 100ml.
    No, when I went through to the airport, they said it was 150ml.

ReputationRep:
    My gran and papa are paying for my holiday since its my 21st and my mum got a fancy diamond ring for her 21st lol. My papa is coming up to my flat tomorrow to book it. The best deal we have seen for a joint flight and hotel deal is for 3rd-10th June 2013. My passport came back a few days ago thankfully but my boyfriend applied for his the same time as me and put down that it was his first passport but the passport office said he had one when he was 10. He didn't know about it because he never got to use it and his mum died when he was 11 and he moved in with his dad so it probably got lost with all his mum's things. He filled out a form explaining what happened and told the passport office. Do you think his new passport will come thru in time for 3rd June? I'm worried about booking it for then just in case it isn't through in time!

Thanks for your replies btw, you are making me all more excited to go!
    Should be fine for the 3rd of June, thats over 7 weeks away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    No, when I went through to the airport, they said it was 150ml.
    I can assure you that you are mistaken or just plain wrong. It is 100ml or 100g.

I'm told this every time I fly, so far this year* which has been at least eight times.

*January to April

ReputationRep:
    I can assure you that you are mistaken or just plain wrong. It is 100ml or 100g.

I'm told this every time I fly, so far this year which has been at least eight times.
    I'm sure I heard that it was 150ml...

Or I've just misheard and it was my wonky ears at work again. :facepalm:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Should be fine for the 3rd of June, thats over 7 weeks away.
    Thanks. Looks like I'll be booking it for the 3rd then! Ahhh, not long away at all! ...but long enough for his passport to come through though haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Take off and landing seem to be the most worrying thing for a first time flier. You'll be pushed back into your seat (a lot more than if you were lying on your back) then the plane will leave the ground and you'll be pushed down into your seat even more than you were being pushed back. It's also pretty damn noisy on take off. Once you're up and away it's fine. You might find your ears are under pressure as you ascend and descend, eating a boiled sweet or three might help.

When you descend you'll feel a lot lighter than normal (makes your stomach feel funny). As the back wheels hit the runway there's a loud bang and you'll feel it too. Again - that's normal. Sometimes it's barely noticeable and sometimes it's really bad, depends on the weather mostly.

If you hit turbulence you'll go between feeling very light and very heavy. It feels worrying, but until the air stewards look nervous you've nothing to worry about (that's never happened in the thirty or so flights I've been on). But remember that even if you drop a thousand feet in turbulence, you're still maybe 29,000 feet from the ground!

ReputationRep:
    There is plenty of videos of the flying experience on YouTube.

I recommend Travelader (not me, btw). Search his name in YouTube, and watch his flight reports.

ReputationRep:
    This situation is bizarre to me, I thought air travel was about as fancy as eating prawns these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gary Barlow)
    i lol'd
    I had a 14 hour flight from Kuala Lumpur to London a while back, that was dead boring, but I did connect a GPS to my laptop and used it to track the path of the plane over the world map in Microsoft Autoroute. Loads of people kept coming to check where we were, and query which city it was they could see that we were flying over.

Also, as I had seen that the layout of the back few rows of the plane was 2-3-2 whereas everywhere else was 3-3-3, I booked myself into one of the window seats near the back in the hope that I would be pretty much the only one flying solo on such a long haul flight and it worked, no one was seated next to me and I had two seats to myself for the whole time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.