Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

49% of northeners think Margaret Thatcher was a good/great PM watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Upper Echelons)
    YouGov / The Sun Survey Results.

They asked 466 people from the North, and we have no idea where exactly they were from. They could have all been from rich and affluent areas, or they could have been from old mining towns.

The sample and survey is pathetic, you can't take any of its conclusions seriously.
    As a northerner (not from a rich and affluent area) I feel the survey represents us quite well from knowing/speaking to people.

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the north and I would only ever vote Tory. Not everyone in the north is working class, and not all working class people hate Thatcher; the anti-Thatcher brigade are simply very loud. Still cant get over the fact they lost and were proven wrong

ReputationRep:
    What poor methodology.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Id and Ego seek)
    What poor methodology.
    I'm what ways could one of the world's leading polling organisations improve it's methodology?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    I'm what ways could one of the world's leading polling organisations improve it's methodology?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Change the polling techniques to benefit what the left is saying. That's the normal approach of the left.

The left lost. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    Thatcher was a champion of the true working class - those who aspired to better themselves and their family.

All non-unionised working class benefited from Thatcher and there is great respect for her even in manufacturing professions (realise that power cuts due to the NUM would cost manufacturing employees their jobs as machinery ceased to work.)

ReputationRep:
    As much as i don't agree with the left wings silly melodramatic hate of Thatcher the sample size should have still been bigger to actually be taken seriously that being said i'm not that surprised that it is around 50% of Northerners like Thatcher strangely enough they are pretty similar to people in the rest of England...

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty silly to completely disregard something just because it isn't particularly strong evidence. TSRians are clueless sometimes. Some evidence is better than no evidence. If you can make an opposing argument using statistics then fair enough, but frankly nobody's offered anything so by default the survey wins - at the very least, opposing TSRians don't win.

The loudest are often a minority and that's always been the case with Thatcher. The vast majority (I'm talking 90%+ at times) of the country supported her and the government through her trade union battle if you will. Yet nowadays you'd get the impression everyone hated her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    The success of ding dong the witch is dead seems to indicate otherwise. 466 people is a pathetic sample.
    Success? They were planning that for SIX years, had wall-to-wall media coverage and still failed to get it to no. 1.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.