Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Matt Smith's Doctor defeats every enemy by talking.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Absolutely right. Either by talking or by love. It's not like the good old days any more...
    Yeah, Doctor Who has grown up. It's not enough to just 'love' or talk to your enemies in reality, sometimes you have to use force, this is the reality that the Doctor has understood.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Miracle Day)
    This is really annoying. Almost every enemy is defeated in some psychological way in the Moffat era, where he uses talking or a passive method. In contrast to Davies's - Destroying the Daleks in a multitude of ways, destroying the slitheen which a missile, destroying the Krillitane's with K9 and his lazer, destroying the cybermen by blowing them up or destroying their leader, defeating the sycorax in a sword fight.. etc.

Anyone picked up on this?
    Funny you should mention that, as I was just listening to this:

I can't say I particularly mind this trend tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Same.

But if this theory is true, Moffat becomes amazing again.

http://who-lligan.tumblr.com/post/47...d-clara-theory
    OMFG. That's even better than the one I saw about her being the daughter of Jenny (doctors daughter) and Captain Jack, instead of regenerating or coming straight back to life she reincarnates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrbrox)
    OMFG. That's even better than the one I saw about her being the daughter of Jenny (doctors daughter) and Captain Jack, instead of regenerating or coming straight back to life she reincarnates.
    Or they could possibly be three seperate entities?

ReputationRep:
    I think it should have a proper in-show send off for Sarah Jane too.
    Gosh, that would be wonderful. She sure does deserve one.

ReputationRep:
    I loved david's episodes. they linked together, had real depth and easter eggs in and there was on the edge of your seat moments and scary moments like the weaping angles. Also which ever episode the big demon thing was in with the drilling and that. and the "stay out of the shaddows". twas awesome.

ReputationRep:
    I actually got tingles whilst reading that link... If it is true then I've ruined it for myself

ReputationRep:

The Doctor defeats the Cybermen by James Corden's love for his son, defeats the Ice Warrior by "negotiating", defeats that Sun thing by feeding it his memories, Defeats the Daleks through negotiation once, the rest of the time he doesn't defeat them ..
    It always frustrates me when people complain about this - the entire episode was so blatantly a parody of Doctor Who cliches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by forfrosne)
    Yeah, Doctor Who has grown up. It's not enough to just 'love' or talk to your enemies in reality, sometimes you have to use force, this is the reality that the Doctor has understood.
    Eh? That's the opposite of what we are saying here - that in the old days the Doctor used to actually stop things and used creative and varied solutions, whereas now it's all about talking and love. It *isn't* enough just to love or talk to your enemies, but the show *hasn't* grown up, because that *is* what's still happening...

ReputationRep:
    It's becoming boring in a way. I prefer a more direct way of dealing with danger. E.G. Huge ass weapons, obliterating opponents in seconds
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    BTW: http://yudkowsky.net/singularity/aibox demonstrates the potential power of talking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh Smart One)
    It's becoming boring in a way. I prefer a more direct way of dealing with danger. E.G. Huge ass weapons, obliterating opponents in seconds
    Perhaps Doctor Who is not a show for you then if that is what you want.

That is kinda of the point of the Doctor. He talks his way out of situations if he can and only uses violence as a last resort (most of the time).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    How about the Doctor having to sacrifice a little child (obviously a special one, possibly one of the one's Clara nannies for) to save the world from a sinister child eating monster prepared to eat all the worlds children. He could make the child the centre of a more permanent energy source to stop the child-eating monsters but of course the childs family would have to watch this child being killed. We need a good old greater good storyline.
    Didn't that laready happen in Torchwood?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politics Student)
    Perhaps Doctor Who is not a show for you then if that is what you want.

That is kinda of the point of the Doctor. He talks his way out of situations if he can and only uses violence as a last resort (most of the time).
    Let us go back a few series. With the last episodes of the season with rosé Tyler, he, and his friends used a huge gun to destroy the cyber men and darleks. My point being that recently, the doctor has changed considerably. Personally, I love the story of doctor who and it never disappoints me, however, I prefer his older work rather then his new one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siric)
    Gosh, that would be wonderful. She sure does deserve one.
    I think the actress who played her died last year :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teh Smart One)
    Let us go back a few series. With the last episodes of the season with rosé Tyler, he, and his friends used a huge gun to destroy the cyber men and darleks. My point being that recently, the doctor has changed considerably. Personally, I love the story of doctor who and it never disappoints me, however, I prefer his older work rather then his new one.
    The doctor did blow up a space ship in this series.

The point is the doctor only uses violence as a last resort. That end of series was a situation where violence was the only solution well the solution was a magic particles.

Still. I don't really see there has been any significant change in the Doctor between the change in head writers.

The old Doctor Who series would frequently have the Doctor trying to talk his way out. In the Horror of Fang Rock the Doctor has a 5 minute chat with the creature that had killed nearly everyone in the lighthouse only when getting no where did he resort to violent actions with the plan B they had set up.

ReputationRep:

The point is the doctor only uses violence as a last resort. That end of series was a situation where violence was the only solution well the solution was a magic particles.

Still. I don't really see there has been any significant change in the Doctor between the change in head writers.

The old Doctor Who series would frequently have the Doctor trying to talk his way out. In the Horror of Fang Rock the Doctor has a 5 minute chat with the creature that had killed nearly everyone in the lighthouse only when getting no where did he resort to violent actions with the plan B they had set up.
    I guess we will have to see what's going to happen later on in the series. The ghost episode looks pretty good.

ReputationRep:

The change has been pretty big. And blowing up those space ships says nothing because that accounted for like a minute of the episode.

Oh and I'm not referring to that far back, but comparing series 1-4 with 5 onwards.

ReputationRep:
    It is a bit annoying, but it would be unfair to pin it on the actor. Matt Smith (in my opinion) does a pretty good job, but he can only work with the stories and scripts he's given.

ReputationRep:
    Same.

But if this theory is true, Moffat becomes amazing again.

http://who-lligan.tumblr.com/post/47...d-clara-theory
    oh my sweet jesus. definitely convinced by the date on Clara's mother's headstone

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.