Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    It's a great movie, saw it not long ago, so tightly directed and with Edward "ice box on legs" Fox doing his incredibly stiff upper lip icy thing. His son is a total hottie. I would probably visit the Thatcher Library if the Fox's were running the place. We digress.
    Slightly off topic, but a great book is a zillion times better than a great film.

ReputationRep:
    The recent ones are not comparable at all. The Thatcher thing is a US-style Heritage Foundation / Reagan Library type project with a staff, a centre and a well-funded propaganda thinktank.
    Every US President, for the last half century or so, gets a publicly funded Presidential Library, which as I said, is primarily a repository for his papers.

There is no chance of that sort of institution in the case of Thatcher because her papers are at Churchill.

The national memorial type institutions of the ones in the list are for Churchill, Gladstone, Disraeli, Attlee and Heath. Bonar Law's was set up on that basis but Ashridge has evolved over time and is no longer a training college for Conservative agents. The others are smallish local museums or houses that would be open to the public regardless of the association with a Prime Minister.

In the case of Arundells there is a fight for its soul amongst rival groups.

http://www.arundells.org/
    http://www.thefriendsofarundells.org.uk/

In the case of Attlee House, the Queen opened it.

The point is that you are blinded to the fact that memorials to dead Prime Ministers are not uncommon in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Every US President, for the last half century or so, gets a publicly funded Presidential Library, which as I said, is primarily a repository for his papers.

There is no chance of that sort of institution in the case of Thatcher because her papers are at Churchill.

The national memorial type institutions of the ones in the list are for Churchill, Gladstone, Disraeli, Attlee and Heath. Bonar Law's was set up on that basis but Ashridge has evolved over time and is no longer a training college for Conservative agents. The others are smallish local museums or houses that would be open to the public regardless of the association with a Prime Minister.

The point is that you are blinded to the fact that memorials to dead Prime Ministers are not uncommon in the UK.
    I note that you're not still trying to pass off Ramsey Macdonald's fish museum as a major Prime Ministerial library.

ReputationRep:

In the case of Arundells there is a fight for its soul amongst rival groups.

http://www.arundells.org/
    http://www.thefriendsofarundells.org.uk/

In the case of Attlee House, the Queen opened it.

They aren't the same type of thing. This new one is a political propaganda centre, along the lines of the Heritage Foundation and is only supported by the Tory Right and the US Right.

You mention Heath again as if it proves your case - it's just a HOUSE, that's all.

ReputationRep:
    I note that you're not still trying to pass off Ramsey Macdonald's fish museum as a major Prime Ministerial library.
    Of course not. MacDonald's papers are in the John Rylands

ReputationRep:
    They aren't the same type of thing. This new one is a political propaganda centre, along the lines of the Heritage Foundation and is only supported by the Tory Right and the US Right.

You mention Heath again as if it proves your case - it's just a HOUSE, that's all.
    This is what the Incredible Sulk himself thought about it
    (2) The “Charitable Objects” shall mean for the public benefit:

(i) the preservation and conservation of Arundells and its associated amenities as a building of both special architectural and historical interest being the home of Sir Edward Heath;

(ii) the preservation of the furniture pictures memorabilia and chattels ordinarily kept at Arundells (excepting such items as the Trustees consider inappropriate) and such of any other furniture pictures memorabilia and chattels as shall form part of the Charitable Trust and which the Trustees consider appropriate to preserve;

(iii) the administration maintenance and preservation of such of my papers as shall form part of the Charitable Trust Fund including the papers relating to my early career, the papers relating to my period as Leader of the Opposition and my personal Prime Ministerial papers (together referred to as my papers);

(iv) the advancement of education by the facilitation and encouragement of access to and the study and appreciation of Arundells and its contents by the general public in particular in relation to the study and research of my papers and the publication of the useful results of that research;

(v) the advancement of education of the public in the artistic appreciation of music by the promotion development or improvement whether at Arundells or elsewhere of the knowledge understanding and practice of all forms of music and the performance recording study composition instruction or training in all forms of music;

(vi) such other purposes which are exclusively charitable according to the law of England and Wales..

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. MacDonald's papers are in the John Rylands
    This thread isn't about where Thatcher's papers are. It's about the creation of a new right-wing indoctrination centre in London, a sort of Reaganite Heritage Foundation for persuading children and the gullible.

ReputationRep:
    This is what the Incredible Sulk himself thought about it
    Music and the genteel admiration of Ted's furniture. It's all a far cry from the sort of vicious, left-baiting, smearing lies we can expect to see in the future Thatcher Centre. I expect they will have a floppy Scargill you can kick around the room and videos comparing Neil Kinnock with Mao and the like.

ReputationRep:
    This thread isn't about where Thatcher's papers are. It's about the creation of a new right-wing indoctrination centre in London, a sort of Reaganite Heritage Foundation for persuading children and the gullible.
    But there is no problem about having a left wing one in Manchester

http://www.phm.org.uk/

or Rochdale

http://www.rochdalepioneersmuseum.coop/

(I have been to the Rochdale one and would thoroughly recommend it).
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Now comes the news that Tories are planning to build a Thatcher Library in London, similar to the US Presidential Libraries.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-memorial.html

The project will cost £15m (with much of the cash coming from America - surprise!) and will also be a 'training centre', similar to US right-wing bodies like the Heritage Foundation.

Conservative Way Forward and Eric Pickles (lol) are amongst the very high quality supporters of the project. Free literature extolling the Thatcher way will be sent to schools and school children will be brought in for indoctrination.

One wonders if there is any limit to the scheming, hubris and zeal of the Resurgent Right.
    The Margaret Thatcher Library, whose backers aim to raise £15 million in private funds to endow it for generations to come

Pretty sure individuals are free to do whatever they like with their money.... We get it you hate the Tories, really don't understand the problem with private money being used to fund a Right themed library. Anyone on the Left could happily do the same

ReputationRep:

So why's that a problem? Are the right aren't allowed an opinion?

ReputationRep:
    Music and the genteel admiration of Ted's furniture. It's all a far cry from the sort of vicious, left-baiting, smearing lies we can expect to see in the future Thatcher Centre. I expect they will have a floppy Scargill you can kick around the room and videos comparing Neil Kinnock with Mao and the like.
    It is that attitude that alienates so many people away from the political left who can see the extent to which left wingers wish to give their viewpoint a privileged position in political discourse.

ReputationRep:

Unlike the left banding around fascism to describe the right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    The Margaret Thatcher Library, whose backers aim to raise £15 million in private funds to endow it for generations to come

Pretty sure individuals are free to do whatever they like with their money.... We get it you hate the Tories, really don't understand the problem with private money being used to fund a Right themed library. Anyone on the Left could happily do the same
    Partly I'm anxious about it because it is bound to start seeking public funds of various kinds before long - the Tory agenda for their sort of 'approved' voluntarism and state funding for charities - plus the support of all those Tory ministers - means it is almost certain to secure some kind of public funding. Secondly, it's worrying because of the role it will play in forming and perpetuating myths about the Thatcher government. Everything we are seeing this week is part of a myth-manufacturing plan, designed to make people feel There is No Alternative to the absolute rule of the Free Market and the Austerity Programme.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Pretty sure everyone on the Far Right says the same about Left leaning Think Thanks and vise versa

ReputationRep:
    You are actually barmy! Completely, totally and utterly barmy.

ReputationRep:
    Partly I'm anxious about it because it is bound to start seeking public funds of various kinds before long - the Tory agenda for their sort of 'approved' voluntarism and state funding for charities - plus the support of all those Tory ministers - means it is almost certain to secure some kind of public funding. Secondly, it's worrying because of the role it will play in forming and perpetuating myths about the Thatcher government. Everything we are seeing this week is part of a myth-manufacturing plan, designed to make people feel There is No Alternative to the absolute rule of the Free Market and the Austerity Programme.

hich myths are you talking about? The one that counter the left wing myths?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    Pretty sure everyone on the Far Right says the same about Left leaning Think Thanks and vise versa
    They do and they have been out in spades this week. You get the impression that someone of them would like to make gloating over Maggie's death a capital offence but I have highlighted the key word.

The vast majority of people consider such behaviour distasteful but perfectly lawful. You can't make someone like her, or at least you can't this side of Panmunjom.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Well it has not done any of the sort so are and till it does you sound like a leftist paranoid loon assuming it will.

Wow three whole cabinet ministers, might as well call it government supported....

So what if it wants to spin a positive view of Thatcher? It's well within its right to. The left (a meaningless term but it serves the current purpose) are free to create their own thatcher myths and are currently doing so. The way you go on you'd think anyone who opposed Thatcher was being rounded up and shot.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    They do and they have been out in spades this week. You get the impression that someone of them would like to make gloating over Maggie's death a capital offence but I have highlighted the key word.

The vast majority of people consider such behaviour distasteful but perfectly lawful. You can't make someone like her, or at least you can't this side of Panmunjom.
    Starting to get the impression that some think to merely attack Thatcher's legacy should be criminalized. I can't wait for her funeral to be over and for the country to move past her death. This boxing match between diehards on the left and right, many of whom are so polarized their views are meaningless, is getting tiresome.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.