Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    I fundamentally disagree with this. Everything in life is art, it's seeing it for the art it is that counts. Go outside and look around it's all art. Some nature's art, some the art of humans. Some intentional, most unintentional.
    Art is fundamentally objective, right? "look around it's all art." Everything is art. Thus, the very idea of an artist is pointless because whatever they (and anyone and anything) do it will be artistic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Nonsense. Science cannot exist without imagination.
    Not all imagination is art.

Thus,

science can exist without art.

Btw, the bolded bit does not make any sense.
    The syntax is correct, it makes sense.

If Science cannot exist without imagination, then surely something created the science?

Art is creation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kat_woman)
    No you're just mincing words in an attempt to sound superior.
    Prove me wrong then using the tools of reason. You have not replied to anything that I said but just dismissed my words.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're making a bit of a generalisation.
    I agree that there's some artists who are completely over the top and and only do what they do for attention, but then, as someone else mentioned, there's other artists who make artwork for themselves as a form of self expression. If they're not showing their work off, and making it purely for shows, the media, etc. how are they attention seeking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Prove me wrong then using the tools of reason. You have not replied to anything that I said but just dismissed my words.
    Because your argument makes no sense. "Artists are attention seekers. Discuss" That's effectively what you've done. A debate generally works by you at least giving some context to the thing :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Faberry)
    The syntax is correct, it makes sense.

If Science cannot exist without imagination, then surely something created the science?

Art is creation.
    Science cannot exist without imagination.
    Science exists.
    Thus,
    imagination exists.

Art is irrelevant here unless you can show me that art and imagination are the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily115)
    I think you're making a bit of a generalisation.
    I agree that there's some artists who are completely over the top and and only do what they do for attention, but then, as someone else mentioned, there's other artists who make artwork for themselves as a form of self expression. If they're not showing their work off, and making it purely for shows, the media, etc. how are they attention seeking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The user who said that got a reply few posts below. Check it.

ReputationRep:
    Art is fundamentally objective, right? "look around it's all art." Everything is art. Thus, the very idea of an artist is pointless because whatever they (and anyone and anything) do it will be artistic.
    Yes, if it's viewed with the right mindsight. However some art is better. The ability for art to be better than other art means it is far from pointless.

ReputationRep:
    The user who said that got a reply few posts below. Check it.
    Yeah, what's your point? You've started a thread asking people to discuss whether artists are attention seekers & I gave you my opinion..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because your argument makes no sense. "Artists are attention seekers. Discuss" That's effectively what you've done. A debate generally works by you at least giving some context to the thing :rolleyes:
    1. If you can't discuss something in the absence of some guidelines I can't help you.

2. "Because your argument makes no sense. "Artists are attention seekers. Discuss" That's effectively what you've done." That is not an argument. Can't you differentiate between topic and argument? I have given a broad statement to give people freedom to start from there. When you replied to me, I gave you an argument tailored to you which you have not tackled yet.

3. This is a discussion not a debate. Please make you sure you know the difference before using the words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Yes, if it's viewed with the right mindsight. However some art is better. The ability for art to be better than other art means it is far from pointless.
    The criteria under which some forms of art are better than others is totally subjective.

ReputationRep:
    1. If you can't discuss something in the absence of some guidelines I can't help you.

2. "Because your argument makes no sense. "Artists are attention seekers. Discuss" That's effectively what you've done." That is not an argument. Can't you differentiate between topic and argument? I have given a broad statement to give people freedom to start from there. When you replied to me, I gave you an argument tailored to you which you have not tackled yet.

3. This is a discussion not a debate. Please make you sure you know the difference before using the words.
    1 I can discuss something fine but you aren't making your argument clear.

2 Again I can differentiate fine it;s your argument that is non existent :rolleyes:

3 Semantics.

Unless you come up with a valid point, people aren't going to be able to have a discussion with you.

ReputationRep:
    The criteria under which some forms of art are better than others is totally subjective.
    Not totally but mainly subjective, which allows such a diverse amount of art and allows such a contribution to our society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily115)
    Yeah, what's your point? You've started a thread asking people to discuss whether artists are attention seekers & I gave you my opinion..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My point? I just asked people to discuss something. You gave me your opinion and I gave you mine.

ReputationRep:
    Are you maybe confusing attention seekers with narcissists?
    They want attention to their work, so obviously.
    But are they narcissistic? Some of them yea, but we scientists aren't much different

(Original post by Redolent)
    Pretty much all human beings are attention seekers. It's just that a lot of us are smart enough to not be too obvious and annoying about it.
    Quite often I seek attention up to the point I get it, then I want everyone to look away .

ReputationRep:
    Art is irrelevant here unless you can show me that art and imagination are the same thing.
    Google is a great friend, and verifies my point:

"Imagination, also called the faculty of imagining, is the ability to form new images and sensations that are not perceived through sight, hearing, or other senses"

Therefore, imagination is creation. Creation stems from creativity (in the form of imagination, for example), which results in art, be it an embryo or painting.

ReputationRep:
    1 I can discuss something fine but you aren't making your argument clear.

2 Again I can differentiate fine it;s your argument that is non existent :rolleyes:

3 Semantics.

Unless you come up with a valid point, people aren't going to be able to have a discussion with you.
    1. My argument is quite clear: art is not that important to society. Maybe you can't understand this?

2. My argument is quite clear: art is not that important to society. See my argument again.

3. Fair enough. I will repeat it again: State your views on the question: "Are artists attention seekers?".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I am Ace)
    Are you maybe confusing attention seekers with narcissists?
    They want attention to their work, so obviously.
    But are they narcissistic? Some of them yea, but we scientists aren't much different
    Fair enough.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    This is not directly relevant, just a comment: At least scientists make an actual contribution to society.

ReputationRep:
    1. My argument is quite clear: art is not that important to society. Maybe you can't understand this?

2. My argument is quite clear: art is not that important to society. See my argument again.

3. Fair enough. I will repeat it again: State your views on the question: "Are artists attention seekers?".
    But you're just saying it without explaining it or backing it up. You're just regurgitating a load of bullet points instead of making it into a debate, or discussion.

But anyway, art is very important to society. Art helps create and shape the world we live in, and it is a form of self expression. Art is almost magical, it;s the ability to create something out of purely your own head. Science just discovers. Art creates.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.