Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, it's going super well ! Just stay open-minded, try everything, enjoy getting used to things that seem to weird at first, speak as much Chinese as possible ... China has so much to offer, it's totally worth it. It has its flaws - the bathrooms stink, people spit, blablabla - but which country doesn't ? Enjoy the amazing things which make China so special.

Sorry it's all very general, I'd be happy to help if you have more specific questions though
    Thanks, I am very open minded otherwise I would not have came. The only thing that is hard so far is the language I am learning very slow but it will get easier as time goes on.

Thanks for the advice anyhow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevenishungover)
    If i'm being honest China was not my specific choice for my getaway but now that I am here I am glad I had enough time to get everything sorted about 1 month or so I could have got things done faster but I dragged my feet a little and I worked alot before I came. The worst thing is the time difference and jet lag its hard to sleep the first few days and to get into a proper pattern because of different timezone, excitement and nerves etc. Apart from that no problems.

Question for any of the guys in China; Anyone of you use FB and have a way to access it? I brought along a program but it is not working and would appreciate some help.
    I'm not in China right now, but I think you can use either VPNs or proxies to bypass the firewall.

Try this proxy and download it on this website: http://www.wujieliulan.com/. The link is on the top right hand side with the green icon.

If not, you can try this out: http://gpass1.com/gpass/ or http://www.hotspotshield.com/en.

Hope it works!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zero_Gravity91)
    I'm not in China right now, but I think you can use either VPNs or proxies to bypass the firewall.

Try this proxy and download it on this website: http://www.wujieliulan.com/. The link is on the top right hand side with the green icon.

If not, you can try this out: http://gpass1.com/gpass/ or http://www.hotspotshield.com/en.

Hope it works!
    Thanks, I already had hotspotshield but it did not work and the other two sites I cannot access in China, I shall try and get a few when I go back to HK in a few months. Thanks for help anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I am very open minded otherwise I would not have came. The only thing that is hard so far is the language I am learning very slow but it will get easier as time goes on.

Thanks for the advice anyhow
    You'd be surprised by the number of narrow minded people who come here.. Yeah the language is hard but it's get better. Try to write lines of characters at least 5 minutes a day and watch local tv shows, it helps a lot

As a VPN, I bought Astrill and it's perfect, but you won't be able to access the website if you're already in China..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    You'd be surprised by the number of narrow minded people who come here.. Yeah the language is hard but it's get better. Try to write lines of characters at least 5 minutes a day and watch local tv shows, it helps a lot

As a VPN, I bought Astrill and it's perfect, but you won't be able to access the website if you're already in China..

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can access Astrill, il give it a try once I reach my school and settle in see how it goes. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I can access Astrill, il give it a try once I reach my school and settle in see how it goes. Thanks
    Oh good ! I hope you'll be able to download it, I'm pretty sure it's one of the best VPN, if not the best

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambirina)
    Oh good ! I hope you'll be able to download it, I'm pretty sure it's one of the best VPN, if not the best

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Already downloaded it, but il wait until I reach my school before using the trial and see how it is. Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just wondering how you went about getting the job in china/did it require anything in particular. Stuff I've looked at on job site advertisements say they generally require a 2:1 degree and teaching experience, is that closely true or is there leeway? Also if you are not with a group to help you out with the language, do you think you could still have managed?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I already had hotspotshield but it did not work and the other two sites I cannot access in China, I shall try and get a few when I go back to HK in a few months. Thanks for help anyway.
    Oh darn it. Well, as you suggested, you can download it once you are in HK. No problem!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supertoaster)
    Hey, just wondering how you went about getting the job in china/did it require anything in particular. Stuff I've looked at on job site advertisements say they generally require a 2:1 degree and teaching experience, is that closely true or is there leeway? Also if you are not with a group to help you out with the language, do you think you could still have managed?
    Hey, no you do not need any formal qualifications to teach you will earn less money though but still enough to live on easily. Yes you will need a group or team to support you with Chinese and translation otherwise you will be in danger. What I will say is when you talk with whatever company you choose to go with don't take everything they say for 100% truth they will gloss it up and make it sound like its all sunshine and rainbows out here. Do some reasearch and be very open minded before considering coming here, it is a amazing country and I love it. Just know what you are getting yourself into and have some common sense.

For instance a guy I live with from England was told money is not an issue for the start so he only brought £100 which is not enough since you will not get paid for 2 months (lay in month then after) make sure you are prepared for worst case scenario eg. you do not like it and want to come home fast.

Summing up; I love this place it is amazing but be careful the companys will say pretty much anything to get you here so do some research and reallly thing it through. China is amazing.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    I am using Witopia to get on Facebook in China and it works fine, though sometimes the connection gets lost after a while. Only works on my computer though. Besides that, China is amazing! I just spent 2.5 Pounds on a pretty decent dinner, two beers and a subway ticket home yesterday. Cant beat that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by woooolf)
    I am using Witopia to get on Facebook in China and it works fine, though sometimes the connection gets lost after a while. Only works on my computer though. Besides that, China is amazing! I just spent 2.5 Pounds on a pretty decent dinner, two beers and a subway ticket home yesterday. Cant beat that.
    Yea, I use Freegate it works but sometimes loses connection/it's slow but does the job. Yea food and beer is so cheap like 30p for 600ml bottle from the shop can't beat that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iommi)
    How long did it take you to learn the language? If you didn't already know it that is
    Hey! I lived in China for a year just to learn the language. When I arrived I already new a little bit, but to be honest it is quite a difficult language, so after a year there even if I could communicate with local my Chinese wasn't that good.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, tomorrow I go to my school. It's near Shanghai so I have to take a train which will take 20 hours!! I thought the flight was bad. Although considering the distance the price is good its around £26 so can't complain with that.
    Where are you teaching? Shanghai it is a really nice city, I lived there for a year. Very close to it there is two cities that I liked a lot, Hangzhou and Suzhou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalo8)
    Where are you teaching? Shanghai it is a really nice city, I lived there for a year. Very close to it there is two cities that I liked a lot, Hangzhou and Suzhou
    I am teaching in Gaoyou, have not had a chance to visit those cities yet but hopefully I will soon

ReputationRep:
    Which group did you go with to get the job? Or do you know any still offering places?

ReputationRep:
    Which group did you go with to get the job? Or do you know any still offering places?
    It's hard to say currently people are getting deported alot for teaching with the wrong visa. Alot of people are working on tourist visas and it is making the whole industry a bit scary when the police walk into schools grab the teachers and bring them to the airport for a plane ticket home.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I have posted a few replys on some threads about China but I thought I may make this thread to try and answer any questions anyone has about China.

Myself- I have landed a few days ago in HK and now I am in mainland China and will be for the next 6 months atleast I am teaching English to kids.

It is all very new to me but exciting so as I learn new things I would like to maybe share them with you guys so if you are thinking about coming to China give me a shout and il try my best to reply to you guys
    How much (in pounds) are you being paid monthly?

ReputationRep:
    Chinese Electric Batman!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    How much (in pounds) are you being paid monthly?
    Around 4,000 RMB which is at least £400 per month. Sounds very little especially since I used to earn around £1,400 per month but it is a lot over here. The more experience and qualifications you have the more money you will get obviously.

One word of warning I will say is this; You will not get paid straight away, I have to wait 2 months before I get paid. Month in hand then pay month so make sure you have enough funds to support you for that time. A guy came with only £100 which he was told would be fine which was a lie by the agent (they will tell fairytales alot of the time). The school will support you though he has borrowed 2,000 rmb (£200) for the 2 months he gets paid tomorrow but will obviously have to pay the money he owes back.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.