Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today was bicep day but it'll probably be the last one as I'm going to group it with abs I think. I did:

Chin Ups - 3 4 5 5 4
    Dumbbell Curls 7.5KG - 3 x 10
    Barbell Curls 18KG - 3 x 10
    Dumbbell Curls (Alternating) - 5 x 5

I'd really like to get an EZ curl bar but I think that's just going to have to wait. I'm going to update the first post with my one rep max for each exercise and that can be my starting point to look back on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    I think he meant what you weight you are actually lifting for all the major lifts.
    I don't really know what I can bench, squat, deadlift etc at the moment as I haven't really tried but I've started updating the first post and will carry on as I find my max for each exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    I don't really like posting pictures of myself but I think it'll be good to look back to see the improvements so I'm going to try and post one each month.

Attachment 209274
    I feel quite vain now.:rolleyes:
    Damn you look young bro... What's your bench/squat/deadlift like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick1sHere)
    Damn you look young bro... What's your bench/squat/deadlift like?
    I don't have a bench so I don't know but I'm going to the gym tomorrow for leg day and I think they've got one now. I'll be able to find out my max for squats as they've just got a power rack and hopefully deadlift too but I can do that at home if not.

It won't be much though, I'm pretty weak. Last time I benched anything my max was only about 25KG but that was last summer so I'm hoping for an improvement.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a bench so I don't know but I'm going to the gym tomorrow for leg day and I think they've got one now. I'll be able to find out my max for squats as they've just got a power rack and hopefully deadlift too but I can do that at home if not.

It won't be much though, I'm pretty weak. Last time I benched anything my max was only about 25KG but that was last summer so I'm hoping for an improvement.
    Give it some time, you're only 16. People who start at 18-19 will have had a couple years extra on you on filling out naturally due to the post-puberty increase in testosterone. Males will get a lot stronger between the ages of 15-16 and 25-28 even if they do not resistance exercise for this very reason.

ReputationRep:
    Leg day today, didn't feel as good as last week's though. I was disappointed they got a machine instead of free weights and power rack for squats but what can you do?

Leg Raises 40KG - 3 x 10
    Calf Raises - 2 x 30 (+18KG), 1 x 30 (one leg)
    Squats 40KG - 5 x 5
    Dumbbell Lunges 10KG - 3 x 10

ReputationRep:
    Updated the my routine in the first post, I've swapped bicep day with shoulder day and combined abs and biceps making Friday a rest day as I'm usually busy anyway.

I don't think I'll be visiting my local gym again any time soon, the new equipment is disappointing and there's a strange atmosphere in there (though I should add the staff are nice). It feels like everyone's watching you when you're working out and lots of people just sit around doing sweet **** all.

ReputationRep:
    How are you going to progress in muscle gain ect if your not returning to the gym any time soon? Your basic home gym wont get you very far.

As for the new equipment, ask the nice staff to teach you how to use it if you are unsure. As for the people that sit there and do nothing, well there's always those that come to the gym for years and see no progress and wonder why they have not got any decent gains.

Keep going, maybe go with a friend, or get a an ipod or mp3 player.

ReputationRep:
    I was tired today but I still managed to put in a decent session.

Pull Ups - 3432
    Bench Dips - 3 x 10
    Tricep Pull Downs (Multi Gym) - 3 x 13
    Bent Over Rows 22KG - 3 x 10
    Deadlift 25KG - 5 x 5
    Lat Pull Downs (Multi Gym) - 3 x 13

Set a new ORM for deadlift, I don't know if I could have gone further as that was all the weight I have but I managed 40KG.

ReputationRep:
    I was tired today but I still managed to put in a decent session.

Pull Ups - 3432
    Bench Dips - 3 x 10
    Tricep Pull Downs (Multi Gym) - 3 x 13
    Bent Over Rows 22KG - 3 x 10
    Deadlift 25KG - 5 x 5
    Lat Pull Downs (Multi Gym) - 3 x 13

Set a new ORM for deadlift, I don't know if I could have gone further as that was all the weight I have but I managed 40KG.
    A healthy untrained male can probably pull about a body weight deadlift as a 1RM so you'll probably find you can lift in the region of 65kg for a single but that should improve quickly (I doubled my 1RM in 4 months training).

ReputationRep:
    The gym doesn't really have any free weights besides dumbbells so I think I'd rather just do what I can with my equipment for the time being and hopefully accumulate some more gear. It's not really a case of not being able to use it (though they do give useful advice) but you almost feel like you're putting someone out by doing your workout and there's just a general bad feeling.
    (Original post by llegend)
    How are you going to progress in muscle gain ect if your not returning to the gym any time soon? Your basic home gym wont get you very far.

As for the new equipment, ask the nice staff to teach you how to use it if you are unsure. As for the people that sit there and do nothing, well there's always those that come to the gym for years and see no progress and wonder why they have not got any decent gains.

Keep going, maybe go with a friend, or get a an ipod or mp3 player.

Well I'll keep at it and my dad's mate said he had some 20s so maybe I could borrow them.
    (Original post by In One Ear)
    A healthy untrained male can probably pull about a body weight deadlift as a 1RM so you'll probably find you can lift in the region of 65kg for a single but that should improve quickly (I doubled my 1RM in 4 months training).

At what point do you know you've trained too hard in terms of muscle ache? My glutes and calfs are a little sore from yesterday but I'm hoping this just means muscle growth.

ReputationRep:
    The gym doesn't really have any free weights besides dumbbells so I think I'd rather just do what I can with my equipment for the time being and hopefully accumulate some more gear. It's not really a case of not being able to use it (though they do give useful advice) but you almost feel like you're putting someone out by doing your workout and there's just a general bad feeling.

Well I'll keep at it and my dad's mate said he had some 20s so maybe I could borrow them.

At what point do you know you've trained too hard in terms of muscle ache? My glutes and calfs are a little sore from yesterday but I'm hoping this just means muscle growth.
    There's never such a thing as too much ache (though it can stop you from training again which is the only problem). You'll find you should be really sore from all the big compounds the first few times you do them, and then slightly sore for maybe a couple more weeks of doing them. After that you'll probably rarely be sore at all (I'm never sore from any movement I'm used to doing the day after a workout, including things like heavy deadlifts).

The only thing you should ever be worried about is if you get sharp pains when moving in certain ways or obviously irritated/pulled muscles. Muscle ache in itself is completely fine and a normal part of the process.

ReputationRep:
    That's alright then, my calfs and glutes are still sore from Wednesday. Would it help if I trained legs twice a week to condition them?

ReputationRep:
    It would. As an added bonus you should make faster progress too.

ReputationRep:
    Bicep and Abs Day, I've done my arms and the abs will come later on.

Standing Barbell Curls (Wide) 24KG - 5 x 5
    Standing Dumbbell Curls (Together) 8KG - 3 x 10
    Seated Dumbbell Curls (Alternating) 8KG - 3 x 10

Are there any other good bicep exercises? Endless curls gets a little dull.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Didn't spend long on abs as I find them the most boring group to train but I did half sits, crunches, side to sides and more. I'd like properly defined abs but it's really monotonous working them.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to look like a god, google Zyzz workout plan, the guy went from basically an Ethiopian to a god look in 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to look like a god, google Zyzz workout plan, the guy went from basically an Ethiopian to a god look in 4 years.
    Impressive transformation!

ReputationRep:
    He also took steroids from the get go.

edit: Oh and he's also dead -'heart complications'

ReputationRep:
    You think his workout plan will make you look like him? Okkaaaaay...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.