Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If I study medicine in Romania,will I find a job/specialty in UK?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofiama)
    dear Hippocrates, of course the patients won't be English!Why?u got a problem with that?you study the language in the uni.THAT WASN'T MY QUESTION!
    It's just that medicine's hard enough without having to learn a completely new language fluently. Why don't you want to study in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    Well as long as the Tories aren't re-elected and the country votes to leave the EU, you should be fine in getting a job, that is if they don't figure out some clever way to discriminate against EU graduates without breaking EU laws. As for specialty training, well it's competitive so there's no guarantees there.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    It's just that medicine's hard enough without having to learn a completely new language fluently. Why don't you want to study in the UK?
    maybe she wants to travel? or didn't meet the uk requirements? *just guessing, not saying that is the OP's reasons, I just know a few peeps who, for said reason go abroad to study*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippokrates)
    I suspect we have a troll here, given the way they're writing. At least I hope.

ReputationRep:
    dear Hippocrates, of course the patients won't be English!Why?u got a problem with that?you study the language in the uni.THAT WASN'T MY QUESTION!
    Hippokrates point is very relevant. All UK medicine courses involve contact with patients, because there is more to being a doctor than academic learning. If the Romanian course is taught in English, it implies there is no patient contact, which would make your background unattractive if/when you seek an F1 post. Even if you speak Romanian (you didn't say, but your name Sofia suggests you might) the course may not give you an opportunity to get the experience that UK hospitals would expect you to have (and which your competitors will have).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    Hippokrates point is very relevant. All UK medicine courses involve contact with patients, because there is more to being a doctor than academic learning. If the Romanian course is taught in English, it implies there is no patient contact, which would make your background unattractive if/when you seek an F1 post. Even if you speak Romanian (you didn't say, but your name Sofia suggests you might) the course may not give you an opportunity to get the experience that UK hospitals would expect you to have (and which your competitors will have).
    should do just fine..

ReputationRep:
    So you plan to learn the language from scratch? People are just curious- that is quite a challenge on top of passing the exams

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine abroad (all
    6 years) and I am interested in
    romanian universities (with courses
    in engish only),does anyone have
    information about what are we gonna
    do after graduation?I don't wanna
    enter a uni whose degree will just
    hang on my bedroom's wall.I want to
    be sure,before I spend my family's
    last penny,that after I graduate I
    will be able to find a place for the
    specialty I'll follow.Is UK gonna
    like my romanian degree or the
    struggle to medicine will continue?
    :confused:
    I will assume you're not a troll and you are genuinely interested in this.

First of all, I will admit I do not know the exact requirements for practising medicine in the UK with a Romanian diploma, but I can promise you it's not going to be easy at all, otherwise everyone would go there and do medicine as the admissions process is a joke and costs (both living and fees) are nowhere near the ones in the UK.

In addition, do not ignore what some people in this thread have already said about having to deal with Romanian patients. This may seem trivial at the moment, but Romanian is not an easy language to learn and most of the patients you will be dealing with will not have a good knowledge of English (old population overall). Also, if you will be studying everything in English, how will you know what is what in Romanian? (i.e. when you read charts/lab results/etc.)

One last thing to think about is the poor quality of teaching (and this is putting it nicely). I personally chose to come to the UK, do an extra 3-year degree and now a 5-year degree (paying bucketloads of money I do not have in the process), rather than going through the cake-walk that is the admissions process for med schools there with a quarter of the costs.

tl;dr make absolutely sure you know what you are getting yourself into!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran.Williamson)
    It is GMC approved and taught in English. In response to these allegations there has been a number of inspections, which is required for GMC approval and they have passed with flying colours.... I've spoken to a few doctors in the UK that have had dealings with pupils that have gone there and come back and they are apparently found to be better trained that the uk counterparts, due to the elimination aspects of the course. (i did my homework)

I shall be choosing a Romanian uni over my UK choices

Also due to the GMC approval and the EU harmonisation of the training, it is relatively simple to move back and get on the register.
    Out of interest, what offers do you have in the UK that you are turning down to go to Romania?

ReputationRep:
    It is GMC approved and taught in English. In response to these allegations there has been a number of inspections, which is required for GMC approval and they have passed with flying colours.... I've spoken to a few doctors in the UK that have had dealings with pupils that have gone there and come back and they are apparently found to be better trained that the uk counterparts, due to the elimination aspects of the course. (i did my homework)

Also due to the GMC approval and the EU harmonisation of the training, it is relatively simple to move back and get on the register.
    If you are willing to put in the work and are a good student, you can finish medicine in Romania and come back very well prepared. But then again, if you're willing to work hard and are capable of doing it, why go there in the first place?

I'm sure they passed their GMC examinations, but there's a few dodgy things going on. Now, I don't know if this is the case with the english course, but on the normal course, you have stuff like lecturers telling you to come back for re-sits because they can't be arsed to assess you now (for oral/practical examinations), people in your year that are really 'good friends' with the lecturers and seem to not read a single page of anything but still get top marks all the way through. Poor overall facilities (I know this for a fact), and unless you can go practice outside the country, the health system in Romania is an absolute nightmare, and this I speak from experience.

Again, I'm not trying to put anyone off and I don't know about the english course, but what I said above come from living there for most of my life and having my entire family involved in the healthcare system.

ReputationRep:

Does this make anyone else think about the pseudo-science concerning the "elimination of toxins"?

ReputationRep:
    I'm going their because my romanian gf, who is finishing law at king's the same time i finish biochem is going back to bucharest so she can finish her law degree there and do a masters at the same time, this means we don't have to do the distance relationsh. The lifestyle in bucharest compared to London in relation to the standard of living as a student for a given amount of money cant be compared, £300 per week rent in London gets me an ok flat, whereas in Bucharest I couldn't find many flats for that price, and the ones that were that price are beautiful and huge. I want to learn the language, and ifnally I would like it to be cold and snow in the winter and be hot in the summer, not stay in a middle the whole year.
    That I can completely agree with. Well then, enjoy Bucharest!

Oh, also, cinema tickets are £2 and beer is around £1 for 2 litres.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going their because my romanian gf, who is finishing law at king's the same time i finish biochem is going back to bucharest so she can finish her law degree there and do a masters at the same time, this means we don't have to do the distance relationsh. The lifestyle in bucharest compared to London in relation to the standard of living as a student for a given amount of money cant be compared, £300 per week rent in London gets me an ok flat, whereas in Bucharest I couldn't find many flats for that price, and the ones that were that price are beautiful and huge. I want to learn the language, and ifnally I would like it to be cold and snow in the winter and be hot in the summer, not stay in a middle the whole year.
    As someone from an eastern european country (though fortunately one that is about 3 times as wealthy as Romania), I can't quite see your point about the health system and the associated education being good, having had experience with the health system back home and having heard a lot of detailed stories about the medical education. I can see how a good relationship and social life could outweigh the elaborate downsides, and with that in mind I wish you good luck.

But when you're really upset about a professor who fails you in a viva a number of times, and who seems to be quite arbitrary and perhaps a bit corrupt, don't say we didn't warn you.

You will save a lot of money though.

ReputationRep:

This poster has it spot on.. I go to university in Romania and just the other week we had inspectors from around the world, including England come to check our universities.. We passed with high marks. People obviously have looked into studying abroad and coming back to the UK.

I wouldnt have gone abroad if I didnt think I could get a job here

ReputationRep:
    Sorry can I just add that all Romanian medicine courses have an FY1 year... So technically you can go into an FY2 post. So if you do apply to do an FY1 year you would already had some experience in doing so

ReputationRep:
    Study medicine in Romania?

here is some things you should think about.

Don't apply to UMF University of medicine and pharmacy Gr.T Popa in Iasi

this is the worst university in Romania, even though it is ranked as nr.2.
    The teachers won't let you pass the exam unless you pay 300-700 £ for each exam. They can still fail you after you payed. The school fee is 5000€. the teachers can just publish that you have the final exam today, without warning you be in advance.

I've studied there, but transferred after bad experiences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pastaferian)
    I really need to correct you! :eek:My family friend from Sweden studied at Romania in English and surprise surprise the students have clinical experience for 3 whole years thats the reason they have to be able to speak Romanian by then! So that they can interact with the patients! This goes the same for English degrees in Czech (uncles friend studied there as well) and other European countries. Or else the GMC would never accept their degrees!
    By the way im not romanian!

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine abroad (all
    6 years) and I am interested in
    romanian universities
    ,does anyone have
    information about what are we gonna
    do after graduation?I don't wanna
    enter a uni whose degree will just
    hang on my bedroom's wall.I want to
    be sure,before I spend my family's
    last penny,that after I graduate I
    will be able to find a place for the
    specialty I'll follow.Is UK gonna
    like my romanian degree or the
    struggle to medicine will continue?
    :confused:
    Whilst you should be ok (based on UK and EU relationship in 5-10yrs) entering the foundation programme I personally would be more worried about securing a specialty training post you want.

The UK post graduate medical careers are currently being reorganised with a strong focus on Community medicine (GP) and active recruitment into mental health - both areas that struggle in the UK to meet demand.

Other specialties are being scaled back - especially hospital based and surgery.

It is something to consider - would you happy being in the UK but not able to secure your desired training post?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.