Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GreigM)
    Is it true that If you get 100% in an exam then you get an extra reward from the SQA as well as an A? Some of my friends are saying the £50 gets rewarded to every candidate that scores 100%.

Can someone tell me if this is true of false please?
    It is true at least for Maths AH. I was with one such person when he deposited his cheque for £100 (although the cheque was possibly not directly from the SQA) at the bank.

ReputationRep:
    My school gave prizes to those who got the highest mark in each course. Usually it was gift vouchers but I think if you got the best grades in the year you get money.

Dunno if the SQA do anything.
    I won the 'Duncan Perry (?) award for Higher Computing' and got a £20 HMV voucher haha.
    Luckily that was before they almost closed down. :P

ReputationRep:
    mate of mine got 100/100ums in 5 of his 6 maths modules and he never even got anything from the school let alone from the board.

As for the home econ thing I took it at gcse, the subject was so stupid they probably got chefs to mark it tbh.

ReputationRep:
    This guy at got 99% in his AH maths and got an award from some institute and the SQA. I think it was something like £100.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xStaceyy)
    My school gave prizes to those who got the highest mark in each course. Usually it was gift vouchers but I think if you got the best grades in the year you get money.

Dunno if the SQA do anything.
    I won the 'Duncan Perry (?) award for Higher Computing' and got a £20 HMV voucher haha.
    Luckily that was before they almost closed down. :P
    They wouldn't be much use now :ahee:...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    mate of mine got 100/100ums in 5 of his 6 maths modules and he never even got anything from the school let alone from the board.

As for the home econ thing I took it at gcse, the subject was so stupid they probably got chefs to mark it tbh.
    We're discussing Scottish qualifications. Our exams aren't modular - it's just one big final exam at the end of the school year.

ReputationRep:
    How is anyone supposed to get 100% in AH Biology or Chemistry, the projects are always marked harshly

(Original post by Bubblyminty)
    This guy at got 99% in his AH maths and got an award from some institute and the SQA. I think it was something like £100.
    How annoyed would you be at losing a single mark.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)
    How is anyone supposed to get 100% in AH Biology or Chemistry, the projects are always marked harshly

It's very frustrating...

ReputationRep:
    A member on this website got 99% in his AH Maths prelim

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shengis14)

The guy got into Cambridge to study mathematics so I guess he wasn't to bothered in the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    A member on this website got 99% in his AH Maths prelim
    I feel so stupid compared to these people...my prelim results ranged from 74% in english to 95% in history.

These people who get near full marks must be geniuses. Seriously, they make me feel ashamed of myself .

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I couldn't get 95 % in a History Prelim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bromaldehyde)
    Trust me, I couldn't get 95 % in a History Prelim.
    I just have a good memory and I worked hard on my essays during the year. I did put a lot of time researching and writing them up. That was it. I am pretty dumb underneath that though compared to all these people that get 100% at advanced higher.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so stupid compared to these people...my prelim results ranged from 74% in english to 95% in history.

These people who get near full marks must be geniuses. Seriously, they make me feel ashamed of myself .
    For me this year its 60% -> 89% for Biology and Maths (although, I lost 7% in Maths unfairly, and I will continue to argue this!)

Look at it this way, you got AAAAA. If that was your final you'd be in the top 2.6% of your year group in Scotland. Pretty big accomplishment in my opinion! Also your history result is near enough for me to consider it near top marks, due to the subjectivity of the subject

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    For me this year its 60% -> 89% for Biology and Maths (although, I lost 7% in Maths unfairly, and I will continue to argue this!)

Look at it this way, you got AAAAA. If that was your final you'd be in the top 2.6% of your year group in Scotland. Pretty big accomplishment in my opinion! Also your history result is near enough for me to consider it near top marks, due to the subjectivity of the subject
    Well if I add on my extended essay, which my teacher think should get 30/30, then I will get 97%. But he took off a couple of marks on each of my timed essays because he didn't want to award them full marks so that I could have "something" to improve on. It just made me feel even dumber to be honest that my essays weren't good enough. Anyway the whole history department at my school then had a dispute as to whether they marked me too harshly. They went looking for extra marks in other people's papers who got like 40% to try and get them a pass. But they are supposed to mark equally -_-.

I think for history all you need is a good memory and decent essay skills. Oh and lighting fast writing skills.

So I can sympathise with you in your maths. If you should have been given your marks then you should be received them. The examiner will mark fairly so I am sure that you will get your Band 1 A . Nobody in my school got over 75% for their maths prelim so you have done amazing.

I do biology as well but I only managed to get 81%. I am not great at science but hopefully some more revision will boost this up to at least 85%.

I really want 5 A's this year but as my exams loom closer, I feel less confident . I am not going to lie. I may have a mental breakdown this week tehe.

ReputationRep:
    Well if I add on my extended essay, which my teacher think should get 30/30, then I will get 97%. But he took off a couple of marks on each of my timed essays because he didn't want to award them full marks so that I could have "something" to improve on. It just made me feel even dumber to be honest that my essays weren't good enough. Anyway the whole history department at my school then had a dispute as to whether they marked me too harshly. They went looking for extra marks in other people's papers who got like 40% to try and get them a pass. But they are supposed to mark equally -_-.

I think for history all you need is a good memory and decent essay skills. Oh and lighting fast writing skills.

So I can sympathise with you in your maths. If you should have been given your marks then you should be received them. The examiner will mark fairly so I am sure that you will get your Band 1 A . Nobody in my school got over 75% for their maths prelim so you have done amazing.

I do biology as well but I only managed to get 81%. I am not great at science but hopefully some more revision will boost this up to at least 85%.

I really want 5 A's this year but as my exams loom closer, I feel less confident . I am not going to lie. I may have a mental breakdown this week tehe.
    What did you write your EE on? I'm intrigued.

ReputationRep:
    My prelim results ranged from a mediocre 56% in English (f****d up the second essay) to 99%.

ReputationRep:
    I just have a good memory and I worked hard on my essays during the year. I did put a lot of time researching and writing them up. That was it. I am pretty dumb underneath that though compared to all these people that get 100% at advanced higher.
    Seriously, the fact that you're predicted 30/30 for your extended essay is pretty damn impressive. Our teacher has only ever had one student in his 12 years of teaching achieve such a mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Seriously, the fact that you're predicted 30/30 for your extended essay is pretty damn impressive. Our teacher has only ever had one student in his 12 years of teaching achieve such a mark.
    Haha I don't think that I will get 30 in the final exam. I dunno, I just worked hard on it I guess and the topic choice was pretty easy. Maybe 28 at the most?

I did mine of votes for women and structured my essay around a old NAB question. It wasn't particularly lengthy: I would say around 2,700 words when I typed it up and I wrote about 17 sides of paper in the 2 hours. But my writing did become increasingly bigger so that would explain the ridiculous number of pages I used. What did you write the essay on?

What did you manage to get 99% on? Amazing btw!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    My prelim results ranged from a mediocre 56% in English (f****d up the second essay) to 99%.
    Work on close reading and you will get an A, it is only around 65% to get an A. Sometimes this gets lowered and it was 63% two years ago so I am hopeful hehe.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.