Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If it was me, I'd keep the £1000, save up for a few more months and buy a Planet X or a Cervelo time trial bike. iMacs are a waste of money and a way for students to look pretentious and think they are some corporate ******* who lives in London.

Unless of course you're a photographer. Owning an Apple product is pretty much a necessity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    What's that?

Is there another refresh in November ?
    They always have a discount day in November

End of

(thinking on it is probably on Thanksgiving)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    They always have a discount day in November

End of

(thinking on it is probably on Thanksgiving)
    Ah yh but students get discounts always ?

And you can only get £65 itunes voucher during summer I believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Ah yh but students get discounts always ?

And you can only get £65 itunes voucher during summer I believe
    Trues but the discounts in Nov are often big

The £65 is probably a winner though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c3rys)
    I think you've pretty much answered your own question.

I love my Macbook, it's so easy to use, and it's fast. I think for the time being, it would hurt to get rid of your iPad. You can save up for another - I have an iPad mini which I much prefer to the standard iPads. A Macbook would also be useful for uni work. Notebooks and iPads are handy but you are capable of a lot more on a Macbook, and they are faster.

Download Apache OpenOffice (just google it and you will be able to download the whole suite). It's pretty much identical to word and it's free. It has powerpoint, excel etc. I use it and I have no problems at all, it works fine on my mac. Opens word documents no bother also. I use it for all my uni work.
    I have Microsoft Office on my macbook. I meant there isn't anything decent for the iPad that is free. Unless you can use Open Office on the iPad which i doubt.

Also, iPad2/3 are going for £250+ on eBay at the moment. Sell it on there. Even iPad 1's with Wifi & 3G are going for £200+ (ex condition ones)

ReputationRep:
    Neither. get a proper windows laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knalchemist)
    I have Microsoft Office on my macbook. I meant there isn't anything decent for the iPad that is free. Unless you can use Open Office on the iPad which i doubt.

Also, iPad2/3 are going for £250+ on eBay at the moment. Sell it on there. Even iPad 1's with Wifi & 3G are going for £200+ (ex condition ones)
    Ah I see my bad! I don't think I could use an iPad for word documents, so time consuming! There is an app called 'Documents Free' which has good reviews. I don't have it though so I personally wouldn't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gunit123)
    I thought the iPad does not have flash - how can you live stream?
    I meant through Lovefilm, Netflix etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.