Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If There Were A Pill That Completely Eliminates Sleep, Would You Take It? watch

• View Poll Results: If A Daily Pill Existed That Eliminated The Need For Sleep, Would You Take It?
    Yes.
    32.95%
    No.
    42.05%
    Not yet, but I'd wait several decades until the long term effects were fully understood.
    25.00%

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    God no. I struggle to fill all my free time as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, man. I lurve to sleep.

ReputationRep:
    This already exists. It's called speed.

ReputationRep:
    No, what would be the point if I felt tired all of the time and could not, as a consequence, function effectively

ReputationRep:
    No;

- I find sleep gives the day shape. You don't have to sleep for that long.
    - Sleep is a good time for your thoughts to work themselves out, and settle. You can realise a lot whilst you're asleep, and also cement any revision in your memory. I don't think any pill could replicate this.
    - Similarly, it's a time for physical repair. It would have to be a pill that could instantly mend the stress of constant muscle use.
    - Finally, if anything mildly (obviously not seriously) bad happens you can go to sleep and shut it out, then wake up feeling fresh and with a totally new perspective.

Good for emergencies, and possibly exam periods, but I wouldn't use it casually and voluntarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    Say, a pill existed that completely eliminated the need for sleep (and it was cheap and had to be taken daily), would you take it?

EDIT:

- Whilst it would eliminate the need for sleep, it would not completely erase feelings of fatigue/mental tiredness, it would only mask such feelings.

- It would also be extremely, extremely hard to fall asleep when on it.
    Yeah definitely. You could be so productive at night. Do all your work and chores then and have the day free to do what you want.

You make some very interesting thread btw

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. I love sleep. What kind of life would it be without dreams? Or time for rest, relaxation and reflection?

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Life is way to short, not enough hours in the day to do everything, would be so helpful during exam periods!

ReputationRep:
    I would love such a pill considering I barely sleep much currently because I hate the thought that I'm wasting my life away. Although I'd be concerned about this whole only 'masking' fatigue, so when off the pills would I just feel completely exhausted as all such feelings become apparent again? In which case it may be a no go.

ReputationRep:
    No. I like my dream world and sometimes there's no better way of temporarily forgetting something horrible than sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    No, I love sleeping.

ReputationRep:
    Insomniacs would love this.

ReputationRep:
    No because when sleeping your memories of that day are stored/processed etc. so if you were for example revising for something, it would not stay in your mind as well without sleep. It's also when the body repairs itself. Sleep also relieves the body of stress and hypertension.

Overall, sleep is massively important so no I would not take such a pill .

ReputationRep:
    I probably would. I don't mind sleeping when I'm not at uni, but sometimes when I'm at uni there simply isn't enough time to do everything that I need to.

ReputationRep:
    If the pill enabled my body to still have that time to process and recover without me needing to enter REM then yes, absolutely. I already don't have enough minutes in the day.

Otherwise, no, because I'd hate to feel fatigued all the time, it already sucks.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.