Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I am having the worst time of my life at uni help please watch

ReputationRep:
    Also dropping out should be your absolute last resort because you paid so much to be there! don't leave just because these nasty girls

ReputationRep:
    The people you live in are a piece of poo, don't even waste your time and efforts trying to be friends with you because they are not worth to be your friend, you are much much better person then they are You should really change the place where you live now and if possible, swap the course.

Don't drop out the University just because of pathetic people out there, don't let people ruin your life.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry you're being bullied, at our age it's utterly ridiculous that people would still behave in such a childish and nasty way.

First, talk to the halls of residence office and ask for a transfer - tell them everything and explain that it's beyond reconciliation or ignoring it, you are extremely unhappy and if you cannot be transferred to another halls you feel that you will have no choice but to drop out of university (even if that's not true, say it).

Second, if the course is proving too difficult purely because of your learning difficulties, get in touch with your student liaison officer or academic advisor about help with your special needs - at my uni (I also study law) lecturers are obliged to send dyslexic and special needs students the lecture slides/notes in advance so that they can have a bit of extra time to digest what they will be taught (as well as extra time in exams etc).

If however, you thino you made the wrong choice with law - it gets worse, not better (the workload I mean - I speak from experience). There is NO SHAME in admitting it's not for you and transferring to another course for next year and starting again - you can even do this internally at your same university.

It does sound to me like you'd benefit from going to a university a bit close to home, so you can live at home and commute. That way you can stay in touch with friends at home outside of uni so it's not such a big deal if you don't make friends in uni, and also if you don't like any of the people on your course you can go home at the end of the day and forget they exist! It provides a bit of escape from "unay" people and life (again, speaking from experience - I have a handful of acquaintances on my course but my proper friends are all outside of university and most either already graduated or never even went to uni).

I wish you the best of luck, stay positive!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I thought uni was going to be this amazing experience where I met lots of friendly open people. where I could be myself and not be judged and where I'd hopefully recieve help in fact its **** I hate it im going back next week and ive been crying myself to sleep everynight for the past 2 weeks about it, I feel sick even thinking about it.

I am struggling at uni because :
    1) I was in a flat of 10 yet I was put in a flat with 8 foreign students, non of whom have any intention of mixing with the British people. Ive tried my hardest since i started in septmeber trying to talk to them, invite them out half the time they dont even acknowladge my existance or say hello to me, i dont even know the name of one girl as she wont talk to me
    2) The *****ing is horrendous, the only english girl in my flat who i thought was a friend became best friends with 3 girls from the flat below who couldnt make it any more obvious they dont like me, they laugh when i leave the room stop talking when i enter and just stare at me, when i try to say hello and ask how they are they pretend they didnt hear me. One called me fat (im only a size 10 but have struggled with eating problems for years) and they all take the mick out of how i look. They met my boyfriend when he came to stay once and the girls told there whole flat he was ugly and a horrible which resulted in the whole of her flat talking about my boyfriend is a nasty way which upset me
    3) my flatmates have parties till 5/6am outside my room, they eat all my food they literally ate over £30 worth of my food in a day, my things just go missing somebody smahsed my plates and just left them on the floor without saying anything
    4) My 2 friends who i am living with next n year, take the piss out of me constantly im all up for a good laugh but sometimes i find it really hurtful when they spend the whole night laughing about me not with me, they take the piss and mimick me and find it hilarious but i dont. They call me names pretending to be joking but sometimes it really hurts me like 'thick head' and 'stupid'
    5) Ive got chronic fatigue syndrome glandular fever and other health issues sometimes i cant even move it gets so bad and being so unhappy and stressed at uni only makes it worse
    6) Im doing a law degree which was the biggest mistake of my life I cant cope with the amount of work I have i cant do it i cant do the work its to hard i cant cope with the volume or work and when i told my uni i was ill nothing has changed.

Im on the verge of dropping out i cant express how unhappy i am i use to be such a happy confident person but being at uni has made me doubt everything about who i am and i just cry constantly any help or advice would be great

you've got to get yourself some comfortable living arrangements, this is everything. Sort that out and your happiness will definitely get a boost. In the mean time you could probably shame these people on reddit or something perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    You know what? Literally just tell those people to **** off. In those words. I put up with some similar **** from my 'mates' at uni, just because they were pathetic, jealous dweebs. I let it fly for that reason plus worries about alienating a larger group we were a part of who they never seemed to do that stuff around (or at least toned it down to look like merely fun) but in the end it took its toll. Thinking back, I should just have told them to **** off. I'd have regained a lot of self-confidence by doing that. There are literally thousands of people at your uni. Tell this lot, explicitly, to get stuffed and find some nice friends - I wish I'd spent more time with the people I knew were decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CommerceDressedAsRebellion)
    You know what? Literally just tell those people to **** off. In those words. I put up with some similar **** from my 'mates' at uni, just because they were pathetic, jealous dweebs. I let it fly for that reason plus worries about alienating a larger group we were a part of who they never seemed to do that stuff around (or at least toned it down to look like merely fun) but in the end it took its toll. Thinking back, I should just have told them to **** off. I'd have regained a lot of self-confidence by doing that. There are literally thousands of people at your uni. Tell this lot, explicitly, to get stuffed and find some nice friends - I wish I'd spent more time with the people I knew were decent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I wish I had had the confidence to do this as well and I wish I had found some nice friends who didn't talk down to me because I'm shy or ridicule and bully me cause I'm too nice, but unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way. Uni's been bad for me as well, though OP's experience sounds awful, like others have said you have to get out of there (the accomodation I mean) and speak to student services at your uni to get help, tell them everything that's been going on and change to different accomodation and if you can help it try and resist the temptation to drop out, that should be your last resort. If you can manage to get through and put up with all that and stay at uni then fair play to you, I hope it gets better and you can find a way to enjoy uni.

ReputationRep:
    Ask to be moved, or ultra passive aggressive mode.

Might I suggest operation ghost bulk

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to mention this (must have been tired!) - I was living with these 'mates' in the third year of uni and stuff just got a lot worse. So because I didn't want them to affect my finals I actually moved out of the flat and back into halls. Best decision I made at uni. Just take the plunge, move out and you'll be so much happier for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Talk to your advisor/tutor/student services/a councilor at the uni and show them how upset you are. They're trained to help.

I had problems at uni and spoke to my advisor and he was super helpful, offered advice, gave me loads of people to talk to, told me not to worry too much and assured me my circumstances would be taken into account when results came through. Honestly, it's perfectly normal to experience difficulties when you come to uni, and they know that. It's really difficult and you can have really bad luck with it, as you have. Just talk to them and ask for help!

ReputationRep:
    You need to report it! Bullying is bad enough but thieving is a criminal offense! Have you tried confronting them? Say, "what the **** is your problem?"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessica_T)
    I'm so sorry you're being bullied, at our age it's utterly ridiculous that people would still behave in such a childish and nasty way.
    lol, people behave like that as adults in the workplace, high school never ends.
    As others have said talk to your tutor about repeating the year/transferring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronic_fatigue)
    lol, people behave like that as adults in the workplace, high school never ends.
    As others have said talk to your tutor about repeating the year/transferring.
    Doesn't make it less ridiculous. People who do that above the age of 18 are horrendously mentally and socially immature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michaelj)
    You need to report it! Bullying is bad enough but thieving is a criminal offense! Have you tried confronting them? Say, "what the **** is your problem?"
    Trust me when I say reporting only makes things worse.

I lived with quite possibly the most immature bunch of idiots ever until just before Easter.

In fact, if the OP wasn't in bigger halls than I'm in, I'd be convinced they were the same people.

Spoiler:
    Show
    However, just before Easter, they got drunk and when I went into my kitchen after I left, there were racist comments about myself and a friend written EVERYWHERE. I rang security and then I rang the police.

The police came and took our statements but because the whole group of idiots were out killing their livers we had no idea who had actually written the stuff. The morning after (obviously) none of them were willing to talk to the police about it.

The police couldn't take it further because of a lack of names. Accommodation services, just didn't give a damn, as per usual for my university and the group in question have got away with it.

To the point now that I've had to move into private accommodation to avoid them. My friend is leaving university completely and in the eyes of the group, her leaving is my fault because I caused trouble by ringing the police.

Whilst I agree that the OP needs to tell the group where to go, and she needs to move. Reporting this is more likely to make the group in question more angry and more *****y than before.

Talk to your course rep if you're struggling with the work load. We're here to help you out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 29, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.