Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dealing With Housemates Who Won't Pay Their Bills Watch

ReputationRep:
    I swear you have to have a parent put down if you can't pay the bills. So if your housemates don't pay up aren't their parents legally responsible? If you leave it too long you'd get a late fee from britsh gas, it's not like if you fall behind on rent it will come up of the deposit until you pay up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I'm white. My other two housemates are black.

After Housemate 1 rang the police, I left, because I didn't fancy being arrested for racially aggravated assault, or whatever else Housemate 1 was trying to accuse me of.

This afternoon, Housemate 3 told me that after I left, Housemate 1 accused him of 'colluding with the white boy'.
    lol at the bold bit
    Ah, how on earth did this housemate get to live with you guys anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I'm saying that's why he's pissed at you. You three need to agree together who pays what, and not just two people deciding. Surely you see how it looks if two people decide how to split the bills and the absent person ends up having to pay more than the others?

You're right, and I think he ought to have paid a third and said no more, but I think it's fair enough to kick up a fuss if he wasn't consulted on how much to pay, especially when the other two have decided he owes the most.
    Sorry mate, but I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say.

We can't consult him on anything because whenever we try to talk to him, he either ignores me, or shouts over Housemate 3. He never listens to anyone, instead he shouts over us.

As I've explained several times, him paying the most money is because he's spent the most time in the house, and therefore used the most gas and electricity, so he should have to pay the most. I understand how it looks, but we've tried to explain this all to him and he just won't have any of it.

If the bill was split into thirds, I'd save money. Instead, a fairer system of billing has been implemented that only charges people for actually being in the house (and therefore using gas/elec).

I appreciate where you're coming from but I do not understand why you keep saying that the bill should have been split into thirds - that's an unfair way of working the bill out and means that housemate 3 has to pay a third of the gas/elec use for when he wasn't even at the property.

The worst thing is, he's a grown adult. He's 31. He has a wife and kids back in Nigeria. He told me that he's a landlord himself. I can't believe a grown man would act this way. He frequently calls me a 'small boy' and when challenged on things, he presents his University ID from Nigeria where he was a lecturer. During an argument he also once shouted that his brother was a medical doctor, then went back to his room. MASSIVE language barrier issues. I need someone who speaks his language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mukhabarat)
    lol at the bold bit
    Ah, how on earth did this housemate get to live with you guys anyway?
    Long story short, I broke up with my gf and had to move out of the place we were sharing. This was the only available place, so I had no choice over housemates.

Just my luck to get stuck with one person who is financially unable to pay the bills, and one person who refuses to pay the bills. Moving out July 5 at the latest.

ReputationRep:
    I was just worried about being arrested. He was accusing me of trying to kill him (didn't even throw a punch) and of hating him because he wasn't English. In my mind, that's an accusation of violence against him because of his race, something I know the police have to take seriously.

The police, when I spoke to them later on, didn't seem interested at all. Their advice was 'ignore your housemate'.

Tried to show him. Wrote our calculations down. Put them on a note under his door. His response was that I have "no business" communicating with him and that he was ignoring me and wouldn't speak to me. It was written down in plain English with the British Gas log-in details.

I can't understand what his issue is, and because he seems incapable of having a conversation, it's getting quite difficult.
    I hear you, I have a nightmare Nigerian flatmate myself, although we're in Halls so no bills to worry about.

We had complaints about his hygiene, as we found out he uses his hands in the toilet instead of toilet paper, and doesn't wash his hands afterwards :eek: then proceeds to cook very odd things (not a problem in itself, of course), but uses our pots, pans and cutlery, all without washing his hands in any way.

Of course, we complained about this - he literally won't speak to us - every time we try he ignores us as though we're not even there. When we went to the student centre about this, he accused us all of racism.

I dread to think about what his housemates are going to have to put up with next year (not me or other friends in our hall, thankfully!)

My point is, I hear your predicament, and how delicate the situation is. The suggestion above of involving the uni's international student services sounds like a good suggestion though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askew116)
    I hear you, I have a nightmare Nigerian flatmate myself, although we're in Halls so no bills to worry about.

We had complaints about his hygiene, as we found out he uses his hands in the toilet instead of toilet paper, and doesn't wash his hands afterwards :eek: then proceeds to cook very odd things (not a problem in itself, of course), but uses our pots, pans and cutlery, all without washing his hands in any way.

Of course, we complained about this - he literally won't speak to us - every time we try he ignores us as though we're not even there. When we went to the student centre about this, he accused us all of racism.

I dread to think about what his housemates are going to have to put up with next year (not me or other friends in our hall, thankfully!)

My point is, I hear your predicament, and how delicate the situation is. The suggestion above of involving the uni's international student services sounds like a good suggestion though.
    :eek:

Housemate 1 emits a very strange odour and keeps a bottle of water in the toilet. I really hope he washes his hands. He does have a bar of soap in the bathroom but I've never once heard him use the shower.

He also cooks some strange stuff, but I'm sure he thinks fried eggs or chicken nuggets are strange. Mind you, the microwave absolutely reeks of the food he makes.

I'm sure the vast overwhelming majority of Nigerian people are nice (as most people are) but I don't understand why the two that we've met come across as so aloof and volatile. I've never once brought up race with him, but he has quite a few times with me.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry mate, but I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say.

We can't consult him on anything because whenever we try to talk to him, he either ignores me, or shouts over Housemate 3. He never listens to anyone, instead he shouts over us.

As I've explained several times, him paying the most money is because he's spent the most time in the house, and therefore used the most gas and electricity, so he should have to pay the most. I understand how it looks, but we've tried to explain this all to him and he just won't have any of it.

If the bill was split into thirds, I'd save money. Instead, a fairer system of billing has been implemented that only charges people for actually being in the house (and therefore using gas/elec).

I appreciate where you're coming from but I do not understand why you keep saying that the bill should have been split into thirds - that's an unfair way of working the bill out and means that housemate 3 has to pay a third of the gas/elec use for when he wasn't even at the property.

The worst thing is, he's a grown adult. He's 31. He has a wife and kids back in Nigeria. He told me that he's a landlord himself. I can't believe a grown man would act this way. He frequently calls me a 'small boy' and when challenged on things, he presents his University ID from Nigeria where he was a lecturer. During an argument he also once shouted that his brother was a medical doctor, then went back to his room. MASSIVE language barrier issues. I need someone who speaks his language.
    I don't see how you could have signed the contract to rent with him if you absolutely can't talk to him. I understand why you want him to pay the most, but I also understand why he's not accepting a decision made without him. Did you not discuss these things prior to getting a place together?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how you could have signed the contract to rent with him if you absolutely can't talk to him. I understand why you want him to pay the most, but I also understand why he's not accepting a decision made without him. Did you not discuss these things prior to getting a place together?
    Ah, perhaps I should have explained, then.

We signed individual contracts separate of each other. I had no idea who he was when he moved in. I didn't agree to him moving in, nor did Housemate 3, and I presume Housemate 3 didn't agree to me moving in either. The letting agents don't consult us. I only found out we had a new housemate the morning he moved in.

Unfortunately we were just lumped with him.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Yes, I know that's easier, but as I explained, if we divided bills equally, Housemate 3, who spent three weeks away from the house, would be subsiding three weeks energy usage by Housemate 1 and myself. How is that fair on housemate 3?
    Why is that the other housemate's problem? He still pays the same rent on the place regardless of whether he's there or not. I've always just split it equally amongst housemates even when some are there for longer because it avoids argument and I've never had any objections. Else what's to stop you charging people more because they use more electricity by being out of the house less in the daytime etc. That way unresolvable conflict lies.

ReputationRep:
    How does one go about this?

In short:

The British Gas bill was £519.23. There are three of us. One of the housemates is rather surly and sulky and doesn't really talk to us much (well, he hates me actually but I'll get back to that) so we couldn't include him in our discussions over how to split the bill. Here's how we split the bill.

£519.23, divided by the days in the billing period = daily rate. The daily rate was then split into three sub-rates: the daily rate for one person in the house, the daily rate for two people in the house and the daily rate for three people in the house. We worked out who had spent time in the house with who and charged them the daily rate accordingly.

This meant that housemate 1 owed £202, housemate 2 (me) £183, and housemate 3 £133.

Housemate 1 has paid £100 of his share but refuses to pay more. Housemate 3 has no money at all but has recently got a job, so I'm optimistic he'll pay soon.

Housemate 1 is the real problem. He's Nigerian and his English is poor. A lot of the time he sounds like he is speaking in riddle/code and he uses a lot of metaphor.

Last night, an argument became physical and I came very close to hitting him, but didn't because I wasn't going to hit him unless it was in self-defence. He thinks I hate him because he isn't English and he thinks I'm trying to kill him. So, he rang the police and told them this.

Now, at the moment I'm having to balance university, my job and the bills that my housemate are incapable of paying. I'm having to put up with aggression and racism from housemate 1.

I'm at a complete loss for what to do and feeling very, very stressed.

What on earth can I do?
    Hahahahahaha Nigerian's are hilarious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    Why is that the other housemate's problem? He still pays the same rent on the place regardless of whether he's there or not. I've always just split it equally amongst housemates even when some are there for longer because it avoids argument and I've never had any objections. Else what's to stop you charging people more because they use more electricity by being out of the house less in the daytime etc. That way unresolvable conflict lies.
    Well rent is a different matter entirely.

Like I said earlier - this is the same system used in the only other student house I lived in. Nobody there had an issue with it, and it meant that people living there over the holidays weren't being subsidised by people not living there.

If we were to split the bill three ways, then Housemate 3 would be paying another £40 to subsidise the gas and electricity usage of Housemate 1 and myself, which IMO, isn't fair.

As I say, no language barrier issue, no problem. Unfortunately this guy just can't understand me and responds to everything in a riddle. He was shouting "That song has already been sung" at Housemate 3 last night. Repeating it over and over.

Any idea what that means? :confused:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well rent is a different matter entirely.

Like I said earlier - this is the same system used in the only other student house I lived in. Nobody there had an issue with it, and it meant that people living there over the holidays weren't being subsidised by people not living there.

If we were to split the bill three ways, then Housemate 3 would be paying another £40 to subsidise the gas and electricity usage of Housemate 1 and myself, which IMO, isn't fair.

As I say, no language barrier issue, no problem. Unfortunately this guy just can't understand me and responds to everything in a riddle. He was shouting "That song has already been sung" at Housemate 3 last night. Repeating it over and over.

Any idea what that means? :confused:
    In which case it should have been made absolutely clear to all 3 housemates what they were going to be paying and a written record kept. I imagine 'the song has already been sung' means that the discussion is over and the decision has been made.

ReputationRep:
    In which case it should have been made absolutely clear to all 3 housemates what they were going to be paying and a written record kept. I imagine 'the song has already been sung' means that the discussion is over and the decision has been made.
    God knows. Your guess is as good as mine. That's whats so hard about talking to him, he speaks like that all the time.

I have written it down for him what he's being charged and told him to speak to me if he had an issue. I've done this three times now. Not once has he told me had an issue, he just refuses to acknowledge me.

Maybe I should play the race card
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    God knows. Your guess is as good as mine. That's whats so hard about talking to him, he speaks like that all the time.

I have written it down for him what he's being charged and told him to speak to me if he had an issue. I've done this three times now. Not once has he told me had an issue, he just refuses to acknowledge me.

Maybe I should play the race card
    It's no good writing down what he owes if he doesn't know how that's been decided and it wasn't explained to him initially (personally, is I was charged more and it was expected I would be ok with it, I wouldn't pay). Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you're in the right here, I'm just wondering if with the language problems mean he doesn't understand why he's being charged more. This is why I'd only ever live with people I already knew...

ReputationRep:
    Ah, perhaps I should have explained, then.

We signed individual contracts separate of each other. I had no idea who he was when he moved in. I didn't agree to him moving in, nor did Housemate 3, and I presume Housemate 3 didn't agree to me moving in either. The letting agents don't consult us. I only found out we had a new housemate the morning he moved in.

Unfortunately we were just lumped with him.
    That's your best bet of a resolution then, go to your letting agent. Of course, it's not their responsibility to ensure you pay your bills, but hanging around complaining in front of other customers/prospective tenants about how they can foist someone who refuses to pay their bills on you might pressure them into mediating.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Sorry to hear this happened, but are you sure he can't speak English? I just googled it, and the main language of Nigeria is English....Also, why didn't you just divide it by 3 this time?

ReputationRep:
    That's your best bet of a resolution then, go to your letting agent. Of course, it's not their responsibility to ensure you pay your bills, but hanging around complaining in front of other customers/prospective tenants about how they can foist someone who refuses to pay their bills on you might pressure them into mediating.
    Perhaps, but the letting agents aren't the most trustworthy of characters.

They're describing the flat on their website (right now) as 'stunning' (its really not) '10 minutes from the supermarket by foot' (at least 20) and with a an A-grade central heating system (it's a D...) and the rent next year is £10 more than it was this year.

No surprise then nobody has taken it yet

ReputationRep:
    Long story short, I broke up with my gf and had to move out of the place we were sharing. This was the only available place, so I had no choice over housemates.

Just my luck to get stuck with one person who is financially unable to pay the bills, and one person who refuses to pay the bills. Moving out July 5 at the latest.
    Have you contacted the Accommodation Office, or the relevant Sabb officer?

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, but the letting agents aren't the most trustworthy of characters.

They're describing the flat on their website (right now) as 'stunning' (its really not) '10 minutes from the supermarket by foot' (at least 20) and with a an A-grade central heating system (it's a D...) and the rent next year is £10 more than it was this year.

No surprise then nobody has taken it yet
    Is that Adam Bennett? It sounds like Adam Bennett?

Also what were you doing living with your girlfriend? Don't eat where you poo man

In all seriousness hope you get it sorted.

ReputationRep:
    It's no good writing down what he owes if he doesn't know how that's been decided and it wasn't explained to him initially (personally, is I was charged more and it was expected I would be ok with it, I wouldn't pay). Don't get me wrong, it sounds like you're in the right here, I'm just wondering if with the language problems mean he doesn't understand why he's being charged more. This is why I'd only ever live with people I already knew...
    I've written down also why he's being charged that much.

He's supposedly a computer science masters student and a lecturer back home, but I get the feeling that the standard of education in his home country is very poor. He once asked me (he's fine to speak to when he wants something :rolleyes:) how to network his printer, and also how to get rid of a virus.

His English is very, very poor. I'm very surprised he can study in English. Language barriers make so many difficulties. I'll have another word with him when he gets back home tonight. At the moment he's leaving the house early in the afternoon and arriving back here about midnight. He must have somewhere else to crash/get showered etc so it probably won't bother him when the electricity goes out.

Me and Housemate 3 have changed the internet password though. If he isn't paying for electricity, he's not using the router or anything else for that matter. He has no right.

Well, in an ideal world, I'd still be living with my girlfriend and my entire world wouldn't have fallen into some kind of abyss, but sadly that isn't the case.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.