Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Skiving off school to revise? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nich01as)
    ...One of the most retarded posts I've seen in a while :P

How in any way are the two similar?
    They aren't similar but they're equally pointless. Why not go to school to revise? At home there's no teacher to clarify things whereas in school you can ask and have an answer in 10 seconds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    They aren't similar but they're equally pointless. Why not go to school to revise? At home there's no teacher to clarify things whereas in school you can ask and have an answer in 10 seconds.
    Because at school there are many distractions. Unavoidable distractions (I avoid computers and TVs by revising in the dining room)- such as people talking around you. And time is wasted- waiting for the next worksheet, walking to the lessons, chatting. Generally I find working at home more productive. As for the lack of teacher- I think revision guides these days are so clear that you can pretty much get anything from these. (I'm teaching myself AS Chemistry at the moment, and doing both exams in May/June) Plus you can't decide what to revise at school- For example my Biology teachers are focusing on Maths questions at the moment, but I'm fine on all the Maths questions and don't really need any extra teaching time on it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm ill during most of my time at school so I wouldn't call it skiving, but I certainly spend lots of time studying at home. If you are desperate enough for good grades you should be willing to revise at home as well as going to school. In some subjects like English I miss out lots, but I'm on triple science and find that I can cover several topics in about an hour whereas in school we would only cover one in an hour-if that! If you really want to study at home it will only work if you are very dedicated and have great self-discipline, good luck with your exams

ReputationRep:
    just do it and pretend u have an extenuation circumstance, say that u go to a funeral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nich01as)
    I did a lot of work when I was at home- around 5 hours a day (I was away for 4 days in devon, then my birthday, then a silver duke of edinburough hike) I'm no slacker- but I just think every extra hour revising is a bonus- at school so much time is spent waiting (Ie after finishing set questions) And talking (Hard to avoid really) And some teachers are just so bad.

It shouldn't drop below 90% I don't think- and would they really do that? I would of thought they'd support my application as strongly as possible, despite slightly lower attendance (I probably did the best in my school year of 250 students, and hope to continue that)
    They're not allowed to put anything negative on your application. And they won't, why would they? However if your attendance isn't good they just simply won't mention it - may be a small indication to universities like Cambridge, or not

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.