Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    obviously shows we have englands best fan base its a shame we dont see it on match days.
    Unfortunately so true. I wish the club would make more of an effort to improve matchday atmosphere. It benefits everyone, the fans and the team. The new place has got properly rocking on a few special occasions and it clearly helped the team (barca, first 5-2 v spurs, Milan, Newcastle last year). Getting the jobsworth stewards to stop behaving like the Gestapo would be a start.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    Unfortunately so true. I wish the club would make more of an effort to improve matchday atmosphere. It benefits everyone, the fans and the team. The new place has got properly rocking on a few special occasions and it clearly helped the team (barca, first 5-2 v spurs, Milan, Newcastle last year). Getting the jobsworth stewards to stop behaving like the Gestapo would be a start.
    too much of the prawn sandwich brigade tbh at match days, half the time its empty which is pretty annoying. In contrast it was pretty amazing to see what the Dortmund fans did last week in the CL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soul of Mischief)
    I've never bought into the view that it's the infrastructure of the stadium that results in the disappointing atmosphere. At the Emirates it stems from the stadium in itself being a cash cow and the working class fans being priced out of attending matches. The few occasions that you have highlighted show that the stadium has the potential to be rocking a la Dortmund and the fact remains that our away fans are the best in the country. I don't even think an acoustic expert would help tbh, when only a particular section of the crowd sing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    I've never bought into the view that it's the infrastructure of the stadium that results in the disappointing atmosphere. At the Emirates it stems from the stadium in itself being a cash cow and the working class fans being priced out of attending matches. The few occasions that you have highlighted show that the stadium has the potential to be rocking a la Dortmund and the fact remains that our away fans are the best in the country. I don't even think an acoustic expert would help tbh, when only a particular section of the crowd sing.
    I do think the way in which our stadium is built does not enhance the noise in anyway but that I think will have a 1% affect at best but it would have been better if the stands were built straight up, that being said there may be a possibility of increasing the size of the emirates because of the way its made. Either way I would agree we have great away fans but at home we have too many emotionally detached attendees .

ReputationRep:
    Although it is mainly to do with the more vocal fans being priced out, I do think the lay-out of the stadium helps.

A lot of the European clubs, such as those in Germany/Turkey have much more compact stadiums and obviously I think this is more influential it getting fans to sing/chant. You'd be more encouraged to do so if a section that was close was singing rather if they were more spread out, I guess it's just the whole group effect.

So yes, it is mainly to do with fans being priced out, but that's why most teams have good away support, because it's the more dedicated fans that travel to the away games, have a drink whilst travelling and obviously they'll be more in the spirit to sing than those that have walked round the corner or the tourists.

ReputationRep:
    In.

ReputationRep:
    Subbed, or should that be 'watched'

ReputationRep:
    True. But I personally don't think the Emirates is a good 'home ground.' It's far too nice and cushy. It's not in the least intimidating, and the club missed a massive trick by not making either the clock end or the north bank a proper home end, like Sp*rs are doing with their new swamp. Just having that mentality that this is our end would have have helped the atmosphere. I think another thing is that there are barely any groups of young people who can afford to go together. I can only go because my dad pays (same with my brothers). When I leave home which is fairly soon my dad will probably stop paying for my ticket. Another problem is the ground is filled with middle aged geezers. They may have made a racket in the 70's and 80's, but they cannot be bothered anymore. All they do now is moan and complain, apart from the odd special match a la Barca, Milan etc. There are also far too many new breed fans who expect to be entertained instead of getting behind the team. All comes back to ticket prices and the gentrification of the game.

Also, I wouldn't particularly mind if we became a dirty team again for a while so all the guardian reading islingtonites and people there for the 'pretty' football bugger off. Only come to the ground if you want to see the Arsenal. Nothing else. http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...beautiful-life . Would this muppet have started supporting us if it weren't for the 'pretty football.' Does he know that yellow and blue are as much Arsenal colours as red and white. Does he know who Frank Stapleton and Liam Brady are. Maybe this bloke does, but he's symptomatic of the ignorant, beautiful football seeking luvies who are widespread at the Emirates, and have no appreciation for our club or our history, and make no noise. I have no problem with non-local fans (he's local) or middle class fans (we've always been London's most middle class club I reckon) I have a massive problem with the bandwagon jumpers, to whom the club are trying to attach themselves. Saw my dad get 'shushed' by a sloane ranger at the Arsenal fairly recently. Could not believe it...

ReputationRep:
    One thing for sure: there'll only ever be one Highbury.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www1.skysports.com/pfa/28802/...ennis-Bergkamp

Let's make it an Arsenal one-two! Favourite player from the last 40 years and Henry is in the lead (massively) with about ~54% and Gerrard is second with ~17% and Bergkamp third with ~13%!

ReputationRep:
    The team I'd like to see tommorrow night:

Fabianksi
    Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Monreal
    Arteta Ramsey
    Cazorla
    Walcott Giroud Podolski

Mertesacker needs to come back into the squad to counter Everton's height/strength and Monreal should start as imo he is a bit more refined both defensively and offensively than Kieran, he will also be fresh as he didn't play on Saturday. Podolski is our best finisher and needs to be starting games again whilst Walcott needs to start as just his presence on the pitch will force Baines to limit his attacking forays. When Baines does go forward Theo should be able to use his pace to exploit that space in behind the Everton defence.

We will also have a very strong bench should we need to get a goal with the likes of Rosicky, Wilshere and Chamberlain as options.

ReputationRep:
    Rosicky is back in contention and Fabianksi is a "major doubt"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Rosicky is back in contention and Fabianksi is a "major doubt"
    If Fabianski is out do you think will it be Mannone that starts? Because Szczesny hasn't even been in the squad for the last couple games.

ReputationRep:
    in

The team I'm expecting to see:

Fabianski
    Sagna Mertesacker Vermaelen Monreal
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Cazorla Podolski
    Giroud

The team I think we might possibly see :ninja: :

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
    Podolski

It's going to be important to press Everton relatively high up the pitch, I think, as they have more brawn in the middle than we do; we'll have to rely on the movement and quickness of Cazorla/Rosicky and Wilshere to dominate the flow of the game. What we don't want, however, is for the play to go stagnant outside their box, so I'm really hoping Rosicky gets involved - Cazorla is quality but he sometimes goes missing when the other teams camp themselves in the box (perhaps not surprising given how much of an obvious danger-man he is when Rosicky isn't playing at the tip of the midfield triangle).

EDIT: If Fabianski's out, I'm expecting Mannone to start - and it'll be interesting to see who's on the bench then. I really wonder what's been going on in the goalkeeping department - I somehow doubt it's simply Wenger checking out the effects of mixing it up. I wonder if there's a fitness factor to it. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Cazorla Podolski
    Giroud

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
    Podolski

It's going to be important to press Everton relatively high up the pitch, I think, as they have more brawn in the middle than we do; we'll have to rely on the movement and quickness of Cazorla/Rosicky and Wilshere to dominate the flow of the game. What we don't want, however, is for the play to go stagnant outside their box, so I'm really hoping Rosicky gets involved - Cazorla is quality but he sometimes goes missing when the other teams camp themselves in the box (perhaps not surprising given how much of an obvious danger-man he is when Rosicky isn't playing at the tip of the midfield triangle).
    why would arsene drop kos??

I agree with your expected team except think mert or verm will be on the bench.

ReputationRep:

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Cazorla Podolski
    Giroud

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
    Podolski

EDIT: If Fabianski's out, I'm expecting Mannone to start - and it'll be interesting to see who's on the bench then. I really wonder what's been going on in the goalkeeping department - I somehow doubt it's simply Wenger checking out the effects of mixing it up. I wonder if there's a fitness factor to it. :holmes:
    Hasn't Ramsey done well playing in the double pivot with Arteta lately? Obviously not as clued up as you or others, but i'd think he'll keep his place with Wilshere being benched, so as to not rush him back so quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.Star)
    If Fabianski is out do you think will it be Mannone that starts? Because Szczesny hasn't even been in the squad for the last couple games.
    Dunno really I don't think anyone really knows whats happening with Szcz because there has been no mention of an injury that I have seen or heard of, he didn't get in the squad for Bayern then was in for 2 now out for 2 which suggests an injury or fitness problem so I would guess Mannone ?

ReputationRep:

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Cazorla Podolski
    Giroud

Fabianski
    Arteta Wilshere
    Walcott Rosicky Cazorla
    Podolski

I think it is difficult to break up the Ramsey and Arteta duo that has been working very nicely lately so that means either leave Rosicky out (I dunno if hes gonna be avialable to start anyway tbh just that he is back in contention) or leave out Jack who was off the pace on Saturday but it is still a big call to not pick him when he's available. In defence I hope he sticks to Vermaelen and Kos but that could go any of 3 ways really I wouldn't like to guess what he is gonna do there

(Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    why would arsene drop kos??

I agree with your expected team except think mert or verm will be on the bench.
    His recent public appraisals of Vermaelen and assertions that this is nothing more than squad rotation have made me wonder whether he's planning to phase the latter back into the first team. Of course, it might just be him trying to protect the current image of the squad (there have also been reports of an impasse between the two and stuff), but that's my gut-feeling. :holmes: It might be Mertesacker dropped instead as well, sure.

(Original post by DH1')
    Hasn't Ramsey done well playing in the double pivot with Arteta lately? Obviously not as clued up as you or others, but i'd think he'll keep his place with Wilshere being benched, so as to not rush him back so quickly.
    He has, but going by Wenger's previous habits in bringing players back from injury, I'd say he'll have Wilshere up and starting, and I can't see Arteta being dropped. I think if Ramsey does play, it'll be on the right in place of Walcott.

Although thinking about it, I suppose another possibility might be:

Arteta Ramsey
    Walcott Wilshere Cazorla
    Podolski/Giroud

:beard:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.