Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I remember in Orlando I went in aged 14 to investigate as I had holiday spending money and bad acne at the time so I wanted a nice foundation for family occasions and birthdays etc as I was very self-conscious however I am very fair so had burned quite a lot and was very pink in the face and I was looking at the foundations and highlighters and a MAC lady came up to me and said did I want to looks at shades etc so I said yes and she said well obviously you'll need to look at some of our pinker shades and I then decided I was okay without MAC for the time being seeing as it was pretty damn evident that I was sunburnt. Why would I want to invest in a foundations for the times I am sunburnt??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curved)
    I remember in Orlando I went in aged 14 to investigate as I had holiday spending money and bad acne at the time so I wanted a nice foundation for family occasions and birthdays etc as I was very self-conscious however I am very fair so had burned quite a lot and was very pink in the face and I was looking at the foundations and highlighters and a MAC lady came up to me and said did I want to looks at shades etc so I said yes and she said well obviously you'll need to look at some of our pinker shades and I then decided I was okay without MAC for the time being seeing as it was pretty damn evident that I was sunburnt. Why would I want to invest in a foundations for the times I am sunburnt??
    I'm not so sure she meant it in terms of your sunburn. MAC foundations have different undertones "cool" and "warm" based on the undertone of your skin. Nobody would want a foundation that is purely pink of course!

If you sun burn, then you usually have pink undertones so you'll want to find a foundation that is suited for that type of skin tone. I'm a redhead and I struggle to use the lighter foundation shades on the high street as whilst they are actually an okay colour, they're too yellow based which isn't suited to my undertone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0ls)
    I'm not so sure she meant it in terms of your sunburn. MAC foundations have different undertones "cool" and "warm" based on the undertone of your skin. Nobody would want a foundation that is purely pink of course!

If you sun burn, then you usually have pink undertones so you'll want to find a foundation that is suited for that type of skin tone. I'm a redhead and I struggle to use the lighter foundation shades on the high street as whilst they are actually an okay colour, they're too yellow based which isn't suited to my undertone.
    I used to have brunette hair until i was about 13/14 but since then it's become a lot more auburn-y but I actually take after my mum in my skin tone as she and her mum both have very dark hair with yellow undertones it makes lipstick a pain as I don't suit many colours being freckley, slightly yellow, very pale and auburn-y haha but no she was like 'obviously you'll need a pinker one' more tone than anything

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've never been to a mac counter, but I always get patronized when I go to these counters, especially when I'm just want to test out things and the lady/man keeps coming up to me. I've had bad experience with shu umera ( sorry for the wrong spelling) the lady there just kept on selling us stuff and everything me and my friend was looking at she'll come up to us and full on try it on her hand and saying how good the product is. The other one was Urban Decay last week, the man came straight up to us and asked us if we wanted any help, we said no and went to look at some eye shadows, he came up to us again and we said no again and walked off making a face.

But I have had some good experience with counter lady, me and my friend went to the lancome counter and the lady there was so helpful and lovely and she answered our makeup questions though in the end we didn't end up buying anything.

I really don't understand sometimes why they're like that, its just going to make people feel patronized or pressured in buying their products, yes they may buy it the first time but probably never again, cause they are put off by the attitude. The whole point that they are there is too help people with their needs (such as foundation) and not force them to buy stuff.

Drugstore brands don't have counter staff yet some still sell really well, one reason may be the fact that it gives people more freedom when they are choosing their products

ReputationRep:
    Btw I went to the Westfield mac store today and they were so nice! Maybe they're fixing up on their quality of service

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to jump on the 'bad customer service at mac' band wagon.
    I went to the mac counter in Glasgow airport about a month ago. I was looking for a new foundation and wanted some help from the lady working there. After checking herself out in the minute and re-applying her own make up in the mirror in the centre of the shop for a couple of minutes, she came over to me. I said something along the lines of "I'm looking for a new foundation, but I'm not entirely sure which one would suit me and I have no clue what shade I am in MAC as it's my first time at a mac counter".
    Without asking what sort of foundation I was after, she said "well I'd probably say studio fix" (I thought that was a bit off, I was the only person at the counter, so would it have killed her to ask whether I was after full coverage or whatever?).She then asked, do you prefer a warmer finish? Again, I don't know whether that's normal but I was always under the impression foundation should match your skintone, rather than what you prefer. But being the non confrontational wimp that I am, I said yeah.
    She then swiped two colours on the back of my hand (again, obviously couldn't be bothered to swatch it in on my cheek to shade match me). I think it was NC 20 and NC 30, one was too dark and one was too light. She stood there expectantly, waiting for me to chose one. I asked if she had another shade inbetween (NC 25 - which I knew they stocked because I'm a geek for looking up products before I buy them). She said well yes, but it means I'll have to find a new tester as the other NC 25 had ran out. I just thought that was ridiculous, she was going to sell me a foundation in the wrong shade because she couldn't be bothered finding a tester in the right shade?!?
    I just said, thank you but I think I'll just leave it today. I was really disappointed, I wanted to love MAC, but they really need to up their game with their customer service. I had holiday money and really wanted to buy a foundation and powder but their service cost them my custom. There were no other customers there the entire time, but the woman working there just treated me as though I was wasting her precious time. Anyway, rant over. I have nothing but nice things to say about the woman at the lancome counter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by penniroyaltea)
    Just wanted to jump on the 'bad customer service at mac' band wagon.
    I went to the mac counter in Glasgow airport about a month ago. I was looking for a new foundation and wanted some help from the lady working there. After checking herself out in the minute and re-applying her own make up in the mirror in the centre of the shop for a couple of minutes, she came over to me. I said something along the lines of "I'm looking for a new foundation, but I'm not entirely sure which one would suit me and I have no clue what shade I am in MAC as it's my first time at a mac counter".
    Without asking what sort of foundation I was after, she said "well I'd probably say studio fix" (I thought that was a bit off, I was the only person at the counter, so would it have killed her to ask whether I was after full coverage or whatever?).She then asked, do you prefer a warmer finish? Again, I don't know whether that's normal but I was always under the impression foundation should match your skintone, rather than what you prefer. But being the non confrontational wimp that I am, I said yeah.
    She then swiped two colours on the back of my hand (again, obviously couldn't be bothered to swatch it in on my cheek to shade match me). I think it was NC 20 and NC 30, one was too dark and one was too light. She stood there expectantly, waiting for me to chose one. I asked if she had another shade inbetween (NC 25 - which I knew they stocked because I'm a geek for looking up products before I buy them). She said well yes, but it means I'll have to find a new tester as the other NC 25 had ran out. I just thought that was ridiculous, she was going to sell me a foundation in the wrong shade because she couldn't be bothered finding a tester in the right shade?!?
    I just said, thank you but I think I'll just leave it today. I was really disappointed, I wanted to love MAC, but they really need to up their game with their customer service. I had holiday money and really wanted to buy a foundation and powder but their service cost them my custom. There were no other customers there the entire time, but the woman working there just treated me as though I was wasting her precious time. Anyway, rant over. I have nothing but nice things to say about the woman at the lancome counter
    I'm sorry you had to go through that, I can fully emphasise. I'm just like you, I wouldn't say anything or stick up for myself either. Wish I could.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i've had good experiences at my local mac store - the one in liverpool
    they seem friendly and willing to help BUT when you get colour matched, they like to point out your flaws haha
    my mate said it too, don't know if it was the same consultant
    i mean they're just trying to sell more products but it's not nice to hear

my first lipstick was cosmo - i had a phase of only wearing berry lipsticks and i've only used it twice since i bought it! i've realized darker colors don't actually look great me

ReputationRep:
    I find them to be a bit patronising, but I've never had a particularly bad experience. Considering they get 60% staff discount you think they'd be a bit more cheerful! If you're looking for a good make-up counter experience, I recommend Clinique, they're always incredibly helpful and are willing to take time to find you the right product.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.