Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ambition is the best form of contraception. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)
    I never once said people should have no choice.

I simply asserted that promiscuity is one of the weeds of modern society. Teenage pregnancy stems from wild promiscuity.
    No it doesn't, teenage pregnancy stems from people not knowing about contraception, not knowing how to use it or just being idiots. Providing people know how to be safe there is no problem with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    -nothing wrong with being promiscuous, issue is disease, pregnancy and understanding what youre getting yourself in to. etc

-teen marriage and getting kids? explain to me how that is better...essentially older kids getting married to have more kids :facepalm: what is better is making sure the majority of people who do get married are mature enough to understand marriage and those who have kids are mature enough to have them, ideally after marriage and being planned.
    Don't call teenagers 'kids'. I also referred to society back then. 'KIDS' or 'young men' started work from an early age, and by 16, it was not surprising to see them marry. Same for women. They both reached biological maturity.

The reason why people of similar age are 'kids' today is society has changed so much, there is no natural progression into the real world(earlier progression) so people hang on longer to the title 'kids'.

Whenever we look at customs of a society, we need to look at it through the context of how society worked.

Furthermore, it is your opinion that promiscuity is ok - and i concede, it is my opinion that it is not ok. Neither of us have any Moral ground unless we get into a debate, bring forth out proofs and arguments(which we can't do on this thread).

ReputationRep:
    Don't call teenagers 'kids'. I also referred to society back then. 'KIDS' or 'young men' started work from an early age, and by 16, it was not surprising to see them marry. Same for women. They both reached biological maturity.

The reason why people of similar age are 'kids' today is society has changed so much, there is no natural progression into the real world(earlier progression) so people hang on longer to the title 'kids'.
    i didnt, i said teens are essentially older kids, which they pretty much are, this references their age. regardless, it does not mean getting married young is the best thing to do, the same with pregnancy...

they are kids today as they are kids in the past. what youre thinking of is responsibilities and such

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    No it doesn't, teenage pregnancy stems from people not knowing about contraception, not knowing how to use it or just being idiots. Providing people know how to be safe there is no problem with it
    Many teenagers engage in un-safe sex. Many are uneducated. Many can be drunk - the part sex culture of today (how we are so liberated!).

So all in all, it stems from the culture - it is a contributing factor, a noticeable one.

You are right though, contraception is the key reason. Life is never black or white, there are always societal and complex combinations of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    That's just because men don't have as much of a choice. If men had a choice, the less ambitious ones would have children at an earlier age too. Remember men and women have just as much sex as each other.
    I don't get what you're trying to say here, you're essentially rephrasing what I said. Because women have the control, instilling more ambition in them is going to have a larger 'contraceptive effect' than doing it to men.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
    i didnt, i said teens are essentially older kids, which they pretty much are, this references their age. regardless, it does not mean getting married young is the best thing to do, the same with pregnancy...

they are kids today as they are kids in the past. what youre thinking of is responsibilities and such
    When i said i preferred it when teenagers got married to our promiscuous culture of no commitment and wild part-sex , i made sure i said 'back then'. I acknowledge that society has changed. A teenager in those days can not be called a 'kid'. Today - i agree- they can, and i admit, i am/was one. But when we examine society i.e early marriage we need to look at it through the context of the society at that time.

ReputationRep:
    Many teenagers engage in un-safe sex. Many are uneducated. Many can be drunk - the part sex culture of today (how we are so liberated!).

So all in all, it stems from the culture - it is a contributing factor, a noticeable one.

You are right though, contraception is the key reason. Life is never black or white, there are always societal and complex combinations of reasons.
    And that's the problem the unsafe sex. Sex itself is fine, they just need to make sure they're safe. Your suggestion of people getting married earlier doesn't solve any of it. It just means teenage parents will be married...

ReputationRep:
    When i said i preferred it when teenagers got married to our promiscuous culture of no commitment and wild part-sex , i made sure i said 'back then'. I acknowledge that society has changed. A teenager in those days can not be called a 'kid'. Today - i agree- they can, and i admit, i am/was one. But when we examine society i.e early marriage we need to look at it through the context of the society at that time.
    i know youre referencing liking the past rather than the present

sex, pregnancy, marriage, etc (mature things to do) should only involve those who have matured/developed. this is the bottom line. you could say that those of the past had more responsibilities than the present but does that mean they were mature enough for marriage or anything else? do you know if people usually mature at a younger age in the past?
    responsibility doesnt necessarily mean maturity

i have no issue with being promiscuous, a person should be able to sleep with who they want. the issue here and hence the thread should be the lack of thinking associated with it

ReputationRep:
    The promiscuious society we see now = pathetic.

The society as it was in the past where women MARRIED young (in their teens) and had kids was BETTER .

*BUT* it should be up to a woman what she wants to do. They are NOT mutually exclusive. Many ambitious women are mothers and consummate proffesionals.
    I wholeheartedly agree with you on how western societies have very promiscuous individuals within them, but I question the proposition that marrying young and having children is beneficial either. I think we should maintain a liberal attitude, while also making it socially undesirable for either sex to engage in regular coitus.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this thread was going to be about the high flyers spending all their time working and saying they don't have time to have a family :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.