Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ohh ok.. :/ hopefully they do allow those masks?

btw how does equalising enable me to dive further..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenBeak)
    Ohh ok.. :/ hopefully they do allow those masks?

btw how does equalising enable me to dive further..?
    I'm just guessing that one of the things stopping you going down deeper might be discomfort caused by the fact that you haven't equalised. It certainly stops me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    I'm just guessing that one of the things stopping you going down deeper might be discomfort caused by the fact that you haven't equalised. It certainly stops me.
    Ok, so what I need to do is, put my entire head under the water, and then I need to have my mouth closed as I go under after taking a breath, and then I need to hold my nose and try to breathe through my nose? All whilst under water? And then how long should that usually last for? Until I yawn..? Like, do I have to keep equalising?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenBeak)
    Ok, so what I need to do is, put my entire head under the water, and then I need to have my mouth closed as I go under after taking a breath, and then I need to hold my nose and try to breathe through my nose? All whilst under water? And then how long should that usually last for? Until I yawn..? Like, do I have to keep equalising?
    You can practice now, without water. Hold your breath. Hold your nose. Blow out gently through your nose (but because you are holding your nose, the air can't get out). You should feel a small change of pressure in your ears (like you do if you're equalising your ears in an aeroplane). If you practice a bit in advance, you'll be comfortable with the technique when you're swimming.

Then next time you're at a swimming pool, try doing the same thing as you try to descend. Equalise gently every 5-10 seconds. It doesn't 'run out' as such, but as the pressure on your ears changes as you're descending downwards you may need to equalise again if you feel more pressure or discomfort in your ears. Once you stop descending you shouldn't need to keep equalising.

You don't need to equalise when you're going up by the way, only when you're descending.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bubblerings.com/bubblerin...fm#otherpeople

Go down to: How do humans create bubble rings with their mouth?

What I dont understand is, you can say POWP once, but if you try to say it again, you have to breathe in a bit..wont you choke on water? Ive never tried to breathe in???????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crumpet1)
    You can practice now, without water. Hold your breath. Hold your nose. Blow out gently through your nose (but because you are holding your nose, the air can't get out). You should feel a small change of pressure in your ears (like you do if you're equalising your ears in an aeroplane). If you practice a bit in advance, you'll be comfortable with the technique when you're swimming.

Then next time you're at a swimming pool, try doing the same thing as you try to descend. Equalise gently every 5-10 seconds. It doesn't 'run out' as such, but as the pressure on your ears changes as you're descending downwards you may need to equalise again if you feel more pressure or discomfort in your ears. Once you stop descending you shouldn't need to keep equalising.

You don't need to equalise when you're going up by the way, only when you're descending.
    forgot to quote

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.