Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello calum)
    Well I use the Nokia 1100 and I consider that to be mint. I was given it on my 11th birthday and I'm now 18.

who needs apps and music on a mobile phone?
    Legend

ReputationRep:
    My mum has a pretty old phone as well. It's not quite as old as a Nokia 3310 but it's not much younger. She's dropped it a few times and it's held together rather well with an elastic band.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by SpunkyVanDros)
    if she doesn't need the fancy features why bother.
    Indeed. Mum was looking at her next phone. All she wants is someone she can call and text on. It was tempting to suggest the Doro phone. She currently has a Blackberry 8520 and within 9 months, she needed a new battery.

ReputationRep:
    My next phone is very important, it could be an iPhone 5, or a Samsung Galaxy SIII. Haven't decided, yet, though.

ReputationRep:
    And tell her to keep using it! The old ones are the best!

ReputationRep:
    a phones a phone man, i don't need internet i have a laptop, i don't need apps cos i never use them, and games wise; snake is king, the only thing i hate is having to text.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only answer is to put yourself up for adoption, OP.

ReputationRep:
    I actually volunteered to return to my 10 year old Sony Ericsson after getting frustrated with my crap-battery-too-complicated-terrible-memory-and-often-broken Samsung Galaxy Ace. I don't blame your Mum at all if she doesn't need anything fancier.

ReputationRep:
    Then your mum is a legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geetar)
    I think the only answer is to put yourself up for adoption, OP.
    Excellent answer :rofl: PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am laughing as I write this, so sorry for any typos.

Do I tell her she is decades behind the times, or do I trick her into believing she has the latest iPhone Killa?

Seriously, what is it with old people and mobiles? They have no comprehension of image.
    Why do you think she needs a modern phone?

Would she use any of the features of a smartphone? Probably not.

Like my mum I'm guessing that all she needs is something that makes phone calls, and for occasional texts, and as such an old brick like that works perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    I still have one. It was a "phone for life" where for a one-off fee I get 60 mins of calls a month. I can`t remember when I last used it though as I do have a smartphone. A HTC hero. My kids think that is ancient too, but for £5 a month I get 300 mins, 5000 texts and 250mb net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skeppy)
    3310 most reliable phone ever u could throw it ona hard floor n it would still work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Fairly true. Back in the day when I got a new phone, I would see how easy it was to destroy the old one (there weren't the major recycling initiatives and the provider wouldn't buy them back).

It took me several hours of throwing that phone at concrete and jumping on it before the case would even crack. I'd throw it several metres into the air and let it land on flagstones and it wouldn't break. I could just pick it up and it would still work (this was before it broke and I could destroy it).

The most awful part about this story though: My phone actually broke in the first place because it fell out of my pocket onto carpet.

The 3310 is one of the few good things from history which aren't warped by nostalgia. That phone was immense.

ReputationRep:
    So far as I can see the only reason to have a smartphone is because it's on contract. It only needs to last until the next upgrade, and contracts are a good idea, much cheaper, if you can accurately determine your usage. It is the contract business model which has allowed the rise of smartphones. However the contract business model can surely only last as long as phones continue to be a prestige symbol and a primary method of communication. That's why it was so essential for smartphones to be developed, because instant messaging and portable "desktop replacement" laptops encroached on the portable sphere to some degree and therefore drove down the effective price of each communicative exchange.

ReputationRep:
    My mum has the opposite problem. She has an iPhone 5 and her technological skills are seriously lacking. She can't even type properly, she uses one finger to jab at the screen. All she does is text and call. Prior to getting the phone I kept telling her that she didn't need it as a much cheaper phone could do both and probably do it better. She didn't listen and now rues the day that she ordered the phone. She is constantly complaining to me about the battery life and the rubbish signal

ReputationRep:
    Of course you'll have more problems with a smart phone. Considering a smartphone does a bazillion more things that the Nokia, you're obviously going to get more problems!

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is..... SNAKE! Them phones were the best Loved that game haha nostalgia

ReputationRep:
    Smart phones are only good for calls, texts and googling things to win an argument.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    My mum has the opposite problem. She has an iPhone 5 and her technological skills are seriously lacking. She can't even type properly, she uses one finger to jab at the screen. All she does is text and call. Prior to getting the phone I kept telling her that she didn't need it as a much cheaper phone could do both and probably do it better. She didn't listen and now rues the day that she ordered the phone. She is constantly complaining to me about the battery life and the rubbish signal
    I know how you feel. My nan (Yes, Nan) bought a Galaxy S3 mini. It was on contract and she used the majority of her minutes phoning me asking how to use it.

She has had it a good few months and just about knows how to phone, use the camera, text and play bingo on it.

ReputationRep:
    This thread seriously makes me think of finding my old 3310 and using it (thinks longingly).

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.