Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Advice: American working in UK after finishing postgrad degree Watch

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know the completion of a post graduate degree in the UK qualifies you for a 2 year tier 1 visa irrespective of your employer.

ReputationRep:
    Tier 1 post work study no longer exists.

You have to pick something up on your student visa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizlaswan)
    come to think of it, is it not some sort of discrimination? companies say that one is not eligible to apply without a work permit, which puts some people at a disadvantage because of their nationality..?

https://www.gov.uk/employer-preventing-discrimination
    The OP isn't being discriminated against on the basis of race or nationality (which would be illegal as those are protected characteristics) but their visa status. The law states that an employer can only sponsor a visa for a non EU citizen if they can't find an EU citizen to do the job. So in this case the employers actions are not just legal but legally mandated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    The OP isn't being discriminated against on the basis of race or nationality (which would be illegal as those are protected characteristics) but their visa status. The law states that an employer can only sponsor a visa for a non EU citizen if they can't find an EU citizen to do the job. So in this case the employers actions are not just legal but legally mandated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is the law discriminating against non-EU applicants then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rizlaswan)
    Is the law discriminating against non-EU applicants then?
    Arguably, but
    a) there's very little the OP can do about it - no MP is going to support open door non EU immigration
    b) the USA has immigration policies that discriminate against non USA citizens such as UK citizens just as much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    Arguably, but
    a) there's very little the OP can do about it - no MP is going to support open door non EU immigration
    b) the USA has immigration policies that discriminate against non USA citizens such as UK citizens just as much

I'm not sure what nationality rizlaswan is, but I'd have to agree with Origami Bullets... it isn't necessarily discrimination as the entire concept of nationality and citizenship--for better or worse--is about creating a sense of who does and does not belong; therefore, immigration policies are also discriminatory by their very nature.

However, as an American, I would like to see the US's immigration policies become much more open to anyone of any nationality with a Masters or PhD degree... that sort of educated immigration (like Canada's) would fuel economic growth, and we certainly have the low population density to handle it.

I would like to stay in the UK--not forever--but it doesn't seem like a plausible option.

ReputationRep:
    I may be ok with staying forever. Love the UK :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all of the help and thoughts, everyone. While I'm keeping my international options open (looking at some jobs in some of the BRICS), I'll most likely be returning to the States in four or five months.

Thanks.

(Original post by nicolew100)
    I may be ok with staying forever. Love the UK :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    And I hope you do find something =)!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.