Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed17)

Econ and Accountancy 1st class degree
    Scottish Higher AAAAA Usual maths english accounting economics physics
    Big 4 internship
    Big 4 grad Job starting in September in Mergers and Acquisitions
    Also accountancy firms require (BBB) at A level to apply ie 300 ucas points (PWC require ABB) 320 Ucas points
    PwC is 300UCAS points also but there are roles ranging more or less this criteria

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm also thinking of going into a career and I'm wondering whether it's worth doing an Accounting degree to get a better idea or whether i should do another degree eg law then enter accountancy after. Some say you dont need an A&F degree to go onto it as a career so what do you recommend. I'm quite interested in law but don't really want to become a lawyer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spartz)
    Hi there, I'm also thinking of going into a career and I'm wondering whether it's worth doing an Accounting degree to get a better idea or whether i should do another degree eg law then enter accountancy after. Some say you dont need an A&F degree to go onto it as a career so what do you recommend. I'm quite interested in law but don't really want to become a lawyer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    An accounting,law or management degree will all help but degree discipline doesn't matter for employers. Although doing an accounting degree can prepare you in advance in having a first mover advantage of the technical skills required for an accountancy role and also gives exemptions from the ACA/ACCA qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there,

I an thinking of doing Accounting and finance although I have not done business before. I am quite knowlegeble i n business. I also love maths.

I have just started A2 mathematics and the second year of BTEC science level 3 double award (Edexcel examboard)

Please reply

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing A&F and already qualified by AAT.

You could go the AAT route, and ICAEW offer a great scheme for this called AAT fast track, straight from A-Levels. This can be a great way to becoming a chartered accountant without incurring the debt that university now involves, but this way will limit your earnings as there is only so far you can go without a degree. Not due to any inability to do the job, just bias at board room level.
    You could also go the traditional academic route, 300+ UCAS points, a first class honours degree and apply to the 'big 4'. Earning potential is massive, but don't expect to have much of a life outside of this, as the demands on your time are massive. I know of 7 accountants personally that trained 'big 4' but got out as soon as they could. It's cut-throat (one exam fail and you're out) but the monetary rewards are greater.

These are probably the two extremes and there's plenty of opportunities within them, but you can make your own decision while going through your course. A lot can happen in the 3-4 years you're at Uni, you could go in aiming 'big 4' but quickly changing your mind. You may even choose a completely different career path afterward, but a good degree can set you up for a successful future in any discipline.

As for the actual work, being AAT qualified means that my experience of the learning is different to others, but as long as you're willing to put the reading hours in outside of lectures, the first year is pretty basic and can be picked up quite easily.
    Don't worry about any great need for Maths, I have an A at G.C.S.E, but that's all. As long as you can use a calculator and work out percentages then you're golden. It's far more important to be able to interpret and understand what the figures are telling you, something you will be taught.

Accountancy can be a great career, there are many different specialties and you can choose the route you want to go down (advisory is where I want to be), but as someone else has said, you need to get some practical experience. If you're into sport I'd suggest joining that sports society and becoming treasurer of it, they always look to the A&F students for this, also look to see which Universities offer a placement year. This can really make a difference.

Enjoy your studies.

J

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very ,much for the advice.
    One of my degrees that I want to do is a pure maths degree although people keep putting me of saying it is to hard. I understand the concept they teach although I don't do as well in exams as I should no matter how much revision I do to prepare for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    What do you want to do in your career? A good degree (first or 2:1), in any discipline is obviously better than a 2:2 in a subject you like.
    I had a similar problem, I wanted to study Economics but, due to my accounting background, A&F gives me a better chance of achieving a first. I can always study Economics later in life as more of a hobby, I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What I am planning to do is that I am either to do a maths or accounting and finance degree and then after do a chemistry degree after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shahidk1)
    What I am planning to do is that I am either to do a maths or accounting and finance degree and then after do a chemistry degree after.
    Why?

ReputationRep:
    Since year 10 always wanted to do chemistry I always used to get excited about chemistry although I got stuck in btec level 2 science. In the second year of btec l2 I changed classes I worked hard for a D*D* although the teacher that was teaching me said no when I applied for A-level Chemistry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Penguin check ur pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spartz)
    Penguin check ur pm
    Been on holiday, now replied

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for english and law at university but i've changed my mind on this as I want to do something related to maths. I was thinking accounting and finance/economics, but i'm really not sure. My a level subjects are english psychology, maths and biology which I dropped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohamed17)
    I have just finished a degree in Economics and Accountancy at Edinburgh uni and I can say you will not find accountancy hard to get use to at all every uni starts at the basics. Take doing engineering you may not have seen it before you get to uni directly but they will start with basics. Accountancy in my opinion is significantly easier than economics and maths. Therefore by doing a degree in Accounting and finance I think you will max out your chance of getting 1st or 2.1 which is vital to get a job. Also bare in mind doing accountancy does not mean you have to be an accountant. You can easily get into banking/consultancy/investments etc.

To answer your question directly no you want find it difficult to start from scratch at all as all uni's teaching accountancy assuming no background knowledge. Overall accountancy is a lot easier than economics and maths but I would advise doing accountancy and finance not just accounting on its own as you will find that a bit more interesting. Also make sure you go to the best uni possible as this will set you apart ie LSE, warwick etc I am based in scotland so edinburgh was best for me.

Lol your point on asian parents was quite funny and true. Pretty much all Asians are bankers,accountants and doctors. But more and more asians are doing dentistry and pharmacy.
    Stop being so arrogant. There are far more successful English people than there are south Asians.

ReputationRep:
    Stop being so arrogant. There are far more successful English people than there are Asians.

ReputationRep:
    hey guys im currently at aston univeristy studying biomedical sicence, but i feel i dont really enjoy it and many people have told me its not worth carrying on with. so i want to do a different degree and an idea was account or business. I studied a level Biology and Health and social care at college, also i got a grade B in maths. Is it all maths based with accounts or buisness, or will i manage if I choose to study this new course. Thanks guys.

ReputationRep:
    After an accountancy degree what do you do after the 3 years? In terms of becoming a fully qualified accountant?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Can someone please help me and give me advice I am currently doing a level maths, biology and chemistry and I was thinking of doing accountancy becuase i feel like i wouldnt enjoy the jobs after a science degree but because I have done science all this time and have enjoyed it and haven't done business. Do you think I would enjoy accountancy and can u be a maths teacher after acccountancy degree if you do your pgce a year after if I don't enjoy it. I think I would enjoy the pharmacy degree but I feel like there are too many people doing pharmacy and less jobs so I am thinking of accountancy or maths teacher as an alternative. Can someone please help and respond it will be very helpful for someone's oppinion . thank youHi,
    Can someone please help me and give me advice I am currently doing a level maths, biology and chemistry and I was thinking of doing accountancy becuase i feel like i wouldnt enjoy the jobs after a science degree but because I have done science all this time and have enjoyed it and haven't done business. Do you think I would enjoy accountancy and can u be a maths teacher after acccountancy degree if you do your pgce a year after if I don't enjoy it. I think I would enjoy the pharmacy degree but I feel like there are too many people doing pharmacy and less jobs so I am thinking of accountancy or maths teacher as an alternative. Can someone please help and respond it will be very helpful for someone's oppinion . thank you

ReputationRep:
    Thanks my brother. By ismile Nagera

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.