Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Did you read one's OP?

I have things in common with him, but I find that he doesn't talk about it much, like he's expecting me to say something more interesting or exciting, or something.
    It may be with someone like this it is just how they are naturally. Just be as care free as you can and remember that you are there to enjoy yourself. I personally certainly think it is completely acceptable to talk about language and politics and would find that interesting.

Talk about what interests you and if you are at a loss of what to say just get ideas from what is around you, e.g. if there is a tv in the pub.

Also remember that people love to talk about themselves so just plan some non invasive things you can ask him about his life if you have nothing to say, or tell him an anecdote of yours and see where it goes. After a while and with a bit of drink, the conversation will begin to flow completely naturally.

If he continues to not be fully responsive, don't worry about it he just isn't giving enough to the friendship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Why would you post that?! I am going to be lost in the cat section of YouTube for hours now!
    I've lost many hours to that section regrettably. Couldn't think of a better way to spend time...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareyyyyyyy)
    of course, any time.

ps. to the doubters - SEE PEOPLE LiKE CATS ON TREADMILLS.
    If people don't like cats, they don't have a soul!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Did you read one's OP?

I have things in common with him, but I find that he doesn't talk about it much, like he's expecting me to say something more interesting or exciting, or something.
    Yeah... That sounds a lot like you don't have that much in common with him. It won't be that great a friendship if conversation is so forced?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clareyyyyyyy)
    I've lost many hours to that section regrettably. Couldn't think of a better way to spend time...
    Agreed! I am really trying not to bust out laughing in the library at the cats on treadmills videos, these are amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JagSan)
    If people don't like cats, they don't have a soul!
    (Original post by 1992LP)
    Agreed! I am really trying not to bust out laughing in the library at the cats on treadmills videos, these are amazing.
    i recommend this one also - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm3dm5J5r0A
    (amongst other flippycat adventures)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BoringPezza)
    If you run out of cats on treadmills, you should try this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w-58hQ9dLk

If it doesn't make them laugh, it will at least fit the mood quite nicely.
    Genuinely cried with laughter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Tbh if you can't sit down with someone and find something to talk about you just have poor social skills.

Unless the reason you 'can't' is that you don't see the point in such trivial bull****.

Though that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Dunno why you'd want to hang out with someone if you have no shared interests.

Why do you repeatedly make threads about pub etiquette?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AhzhaK)
    Why do you repeatedly make threads about pub etiquette?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because I am autistic and don't go down the pub very often.

I live in solitary confinement basically, because I cannot deal with my autism.

Ocassionally I am able to go out for an evening, but am out of practice as to how to do it.

ReputationRep:
    If he's your 'mate' surely you should be able to speak spontaneously. Don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    Tbh if you can't sit down with someone and find something to talk about you just have poor social skills.
    I agree with this like. After a few beers surely to god something must come up. If not you got problems dude

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oops didn't see the autistic post before I posted. Have a few beers and talk to him about that. May give you a bit of confidence about it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You treat a trip to the pub like a date, that's so cute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigbaldy*******)
    I agree with this like. After a few beers surely to god something must come up. If not you got problems dude

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's autistic..... :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Talk about Rain Man. If he says he doesn't like it, flip the table over and act like he's seriously offended you. HILARIOUS prank, he'll love your sense of humour.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.