Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Tell them that if they do not behave and study harder.......
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    you have to use a frightening, passive aggressive tone and stare them coldly in the eye whilst doing so.

But really, it's so dependent on what's going on and the feel of the atmosphere. I don't think anyone can find a solution better than yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shannahb)
    If you teach secondary, I would be firm but fair. If someone is misbehaving, pull them outside and explain that you don't like their attitude and if it continues you will take it to someone higher maybe like the head teacher of something? But don't embarrass them in the class - I know from experience (not me, because I was an angel student!) that they will just hate you and you'll become known as the strict ***** who nobody wants to see on their time table at the start of the year. Be jokey with them but get the point across that they're there to learn and if they behave like primary school children messing around and taking the pee you will treat them as though they are primary school children. As long as you're nice to the majority of the class you'll get a rep for being a cool teacher and anyone that gives you grief will probably be shunned by their peers for giving their fave teacher hassle. Hope it helps
    I agree that if you try and do it in front of the class, unless you get it absolutely perfectly, it can go wrong.Students are more confident in front of their friends. do it outside the classroom, not to avoid embarrassing them, but to stop them from talking back. And do give detentions if they continue, they should know that actions have consequences.

Or make them stand up at the front of the class for a bit if you don't want to give them a detention.

ReputationRep:
    Occasional use does not work. One of my high school teachers was infamous for being mega strict at the start of the year and getting nicer as he went along. So of course everyone trundled into his class at the beginning of the year with the 'nicer as he went along' bit firmly in mind, thinking they could muck about, having conveniently forgotten the 'mega strict' first bit. It works - you start by establishing the teacher-student relationship. You are in charge, not them, and you will use your authority if they muck around. Then once they respect this you can be a nicer teacher because hopefully you won't have to be too authoritarian as they will just behave.
    Worked on me anyway. I sat at the back mucking about for maths thinking nothing would be done. I got moved to the front next to someone I didn't even know and wasn't allowed to move back for the next two years. Ended up getting one of the best scores in our year for GCSE maths and the teacher was actually a really decent chap by the end!

[e] You can always refuse to teach them. One of my teachers did this to me for a bit (I was very persistent with how irritating I was) and in the end you realise you're going to fail. As in she kept kicking me out of the lessons each time I was rude or whatever, like the first time I'd talk back she'd kick me straight out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.