Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind if a person would like to start a small talk with me but there are limits on what you should ask another person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    I don't mind if a person would like to start a small talk with me but there are limits on what you should ask another person.
    Agreed. I don't mind small talk at a bus stop or something, but I feel sometimes people get a bit intrusive and it can become quite intimidating.

I used to work late and have to get a bus home from the city centre between 10-11, it could make me feel a bit safer if I were talking to someone else but occasionally you'd get the right freaks asking you stuff "why are you here all alone and where are you going?". Creepy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0ls)
    Agreed. I don't mind small talk at a bus stop or something, but I feel sometimes people get a bit intrusive and it can become quite intimidating.

I used to work late and have to get a bus home from the city centre between 10-11, it could make me feel a bit safer if I were talking to someone else but occasionally you'd get the right freaks asking you stuff "why are you here all alone and where are you going?". Creepy.
    Oh now remembered when a man came next to me at a bus stop, started to ask where I am from, probably wanted something from me and I had to tell him that I don't talk with strangers. It was a day time but still and he wasn't alone, they all looked suspicious. He was quite close to me, I felt uncomfortable

ReputationRep:
    Just go for it dude.

Quite often, if I have been on a long plane, train or coach trip on my own I end up chatting with fellow passengers. Even just on the bus you sometimes get chatting to people. I even met an ex girlfriend on a bus once (to be fair, I met her at the bus stop but same rules apply).

I guess all the people who find it weird are probably from London or something.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind a little bit of small talk, but if its early in the morning I'm quite antisocial :lol: but I get the train from London to Glasgow and vice versa quite a lot so often end up having conversations with people who sit near me. If I'm on a bus or the tube I'm a bit more cautious as they're usually creepers

As a general rule I don't mind when people talk to me though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xStaceyy)
    The last thing I want when I'm travelling to uni is someone talking to me.
    I just want to be left in peace to read my metro and check facebook every five seconds :P
    If I ever see you I will make sure I talk to you about how your day was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sissoko46)
    If I ever see you I will make sure I talk to you about how your day was.
    Okey dokey..

ReputationRep:
    I've met my share of people here in the capital and abroad. I keep in contact with the nice ones.
    I think that at least smiling to strangers is a nice start, since I walk back and forth from and to my separate campuses. It actually saved my life once, because a couple on a motorcycle crashed into me while I was walking across a busy road on the zebra cross, and an old man started shouting to give way. The couple abruptly left and started shouting rude stuff at us.
    My parents always seems to be overprotective because they would ask about who I met and where I met them from. Its quite irritating knowing that they don't necessarily have to know all the tiny details of my acquaintances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C1hill)
    I'm currently in a phase of life where I travel a lot (bus, coach, train, plane, *insert your own communal mode of transport*) and I see so many people from all different walks of life. Most of them just seem to be bored, looking into space (although some are busy reading, texting etc). I appreciate that lots of you like that silence, but some of you (like me) must be intrigued and want to talk to these new people.

I do that sometimes and it's fascinating sharing stories/meeting up again- widening your horizons on an otherwise mundane lengthy trip! No matter how boring some people are, they always have a few interesting tales to tell and who knows you might meet some special

Anyways I am just fishing for opinions........

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem with it, as long as you pay attention and don't just start chatting away to everybody.

It's pretty easy to tell who wants to be left alone, so just make sure you don't bother people who are just minding their own business.

I'm a nosy *******, so often find myself joining in with other people conversations at random, not too long ago I spent almost 2 hours on a train having a proper chat with a group of Aston Villa fans, and was a great laugh, so you can have a good conversation with random strangers, as long as they are the right strangers!

ReputationRep:
    itt:socialy awkward people vs friendly people

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.