Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    We need to build more factories for people to work in. Chopping wood and whatnot.
    No-one would buy our wood, if we used people instead of machines, our workforce would be too unproductive in relation to the noncompetitive of the cost of labour in the Uk compared to abroad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thriftworks)
    No-one would buy our wood, if we used people instead of machines, our workforce would be too unproductive in relation to the noncompetitive of the cost of labour in the Uk compared to abroad.
    Wood is not simply a substance to be bought and sold. It is sacred to the children of the atom. Unemployment is a myth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Wood is not simply a substance to be bought and sold. It is sacred to the children of the atom. Unemployment is a myth.
    Ok. Sorry for any offense caused to the children of the atom

ReputationRep:
    No they don't, how does a working class entrepreneur gain capital to start a business in our economy, the banks won't lend to them. A missed opportunity for new business and further growth.
    Banks aren't charities .. In this economic climate they will not take that risk...
    Its nothing to do with being working or middle class they have to build up their credit, get a good job or other things that will allow them to get a loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeurmind)
    Banks aren't charities .. In this economic climate they will not take that risk...
    Its nothing to do with being working or middle class they have to build up their credit, get a good job or other things that will allow them to get a loan
    I never said they should take the risk, but if you have a lower income obviously it is harder to accumulate wealth to invest in capital for logical reasons of course (Generally the working class have lower incomes than the middle class). But this does mean that there is lots of entrepreneurship being missed out on within the working classes, that government should aim to help turn into new small bushiness and a more competitive market / all the other obvious benefits of having more firms.

ReputationRep:
    Manufacturing.

ReputationRep:
    I never said they should take the risk, but if you have a lower income obviously it is harder to accumulate wealth to invest in capital for logical reasons of course (Generally the working class have lower incomes than the middle class). But this does mean that there is lots of entrepreneurship being missed out on within the working classes, that government should aim to help turn into new small bushiness and a more competitive market / all the other obvious benefits of having more firms.
    and how are they supposed to do that ?
    I'm sure they do what they can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freeurmind)
    and how are they supposed to do that ?
    I'm sure they do what they can
    Groups of low income earners setting up a fund, partly funded by themselves + party the government They work together to set up each others businesses based on their business plans, debate the plans among st themselves. They then vote on the business plan they feel to be the best and each member of the fun gets a cut in the business proportionate to the funds they put in, thus they all become shareholders in the business, if it goes well, they can sell their shares and use the money to start their own business

I up voted you by the way, don't know why you were negged it is a fair critic.

ReputationRep:
    You can't champion something without it being present. Christ
    Lord will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HistoryHistory)
    Lord will do.
    Allah

ReputationRep:
    How can we help the working class within our country prosper. I come from a family in which my dad's side is very rich( executive director), whilst my mum and my step-dad earn meager wages, she is a social worker and he a cook. So after experiencing startling different lifestyle when they split, I've come to ask how can we help the working class in our country. I don't mean handouts, I mean championing aspiration and hard work.
    Simple. Cut benefits.

Where is the motivation if you can live very comfortably doing nothing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RtGOAT)
    Simple. Cut benefits.

Where is the motivation if you can live very comfortably doing nothing?
    You have to balance supply side reform with the human cost, so no just using one fiscal policy will not work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsplaya)
    Top tips to help the working class thrive

1) Increase minimum wage
    2) Provide sufficient education and training
    3) Eliminate competition from foreign workforces by preventing jobs leaving the UK and restricting foreign individuals from entering the UK.
    1) All the minimum wage does is make it illegal for firms to hire people. That increases unemployment. That isn't helpful.

2) Already available, but tend to agree with the premise.

3) That sounds very authoritarian. We'd have higher prices which isn't good for the working class. However, I agree we need controlled immigration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)
    1) All the minimum wage does is make it illegal for firms to hire people. That increases unemployment. That isn't helpful.

3) That sounds very authoritarian. We'd have higher prices which isn't good for the working class. However, I agree we need controlled immigration.
    1) Obviously when looking at something like the minimum wage we are missing lots of the debate when solely focusing on it's impact on the working class. May I add that the minimum wage helps increasing business start ups by providing a safety net for failed entrepreneurs.

ReputationRep:
    If you're a hipster, we don't want your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1607)
    If you're a hipster, we don't want your help.
    I'm not? Even if i was it'd be irrelevant, assuming you are trolling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)

3) Lots of things affect the prices of goods but considering our high import numbers and that any price increase will be matched by wage increases it won't matter. Also whether it is authoritarian or not is a non issue plenty of good things are authoritarian. For example forcing children to go to school, prisons and taxes these are all authoritarian but can provide good in the long term.

ReputationRep:
    I support government support, but when you go to far with measures such as income distribution you can have negative effects on the supply side of the economy and can fun up a national deficit. So whilst we should have progressive taxation etc, you need to take into account the wider implications and negatives of over genourous welfare or taxation that is too harsh
    I don't really agree with income distribution, but I would like the [email protected] wage to be increased.. But it's just illogical that some people on here complain about any form of a welfare, but they don't want the poor workers to earn more saying they should have worked harder. So what do they want them all to do? All achieve better and get better jobs?? :rolleyes:

How do you generate the productive benefits without incentive for them to be generated? If we simply redistributed wealth wholly equally you would deincentivise wealth creation as you could rely on others to create wealth and yet you would still receive as much as them.
    Aside from my assertion that it is morally wrong for the earth's resources to be monopolised by a capitalist class as they are, people have more incentive in participation in productive activity when they know they will benefit from the equitabe distribution of that productivity. And, equitability as I embrace it demands that everyone contribute according to their ability and receives according to their needs.

(Original post by Hart1995)
    Do you really think sharing capital equally amoung everyone will be beneficial?

If everyone earned an equal wage, what would the be the point in achieving higher grades than someone else, when both will obtain the same wage for their future careers. Also, there would be arguments like should a doctor be on the same wage as a shop assistant? Resources/money being equally distributed would never ever work.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My argument is that in the absence of an equitable distribution of the earth's resources there should be an equitable distribution of the productive benefits of those resources. The problem here is that you're looking at capitalism normatively. Under such capitalism wages are a mechanism for the satisfaction of needs and wants (the latter largely shaped by capitalist/consumerist ideology) when society should be organised for the satisfaction of those things, most obviously the needs, under an economically equitable system. The monopolisation of the earth's resources which capitalism facilitates, most obviously through private property laws, can hardly be characterised as equitable, and all other arrangements under capitalism can be traced back, ultimately, to this monopolisation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.