Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackoGeddes)
    what do you know about it? share the knowledge

water moves in via osmosis
    adhesion between water and xylem walls, water pulled up
    cohesion like particles causes water to be pulled up as the water at the top is evaporated
    it's needed to provide water to area of photosynthis/photolysis

am i close?
    Water enters the root hairs from the soil by osmosis. The water will then move across the cortex cells by moving through the spaces between cells. There is a continuous column of water in the xylem and root pressure will help move the water up the xylem. The force of attraction between water molecules, cohesion, will ensure the water columns will not break. The force of attraction between the xylem and the water molecules, adhesion, will adhere the water to the vessel walls. The transpiration pull will draw the water up the xylem. Water will evaporate into the air spaces of the leaf and diffuse out through stomata.

Importance = The transpiration stream allows the uptake of minerals, it provides water for photosynthesis, gives support and has a cooling effect.

I probably missed some stuff out because I don't have my sample essay questions with me but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    I LOVE my Bio teacher.
    He told us the essay topics for the second prelim, and some other topics that are likely to come up in Section 2 of the paper.

He didn't actually say what will come up, he just suggested But we all know what does that mean

So apparently for the essay questions we're getting hormonal influence and E.Coli !
    I personally love the e.coli stuff so I'm over the moon right now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessie162)
    I LOVE my Bio teacher.
    He told us the essay topics for the second prelim, and some other topics that are likely to come up in Section 2 of the paper.

He didn't actually say what will come up, he just suggested But we all know what does that mean

So apparently for the essay questions we're getting hormonal influence and E.Coli !
    Remember, what your teacher says isn't accurate. It's fair for him to make an educated guess at what it is, but don't bank on it coming up. If you dig out last years Higher Biology thread, you'll see the variety of essay predictions, which you can compare to the actual paper.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I LOVE my Bio teacher.

E. Coli? I don't remember any E. Coli when I did H. Bio. Why do yous get cool stuff after we leave?

Since I've started browsing the Biology SH forum, I've discovered that A levelers do so much more human bio than we do. Mentioned it to my PBL group, apparently the guy who did the Bio board with lots of human knew 20% of last year already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFOMaster)
    Remember, what your teacher says isn't accurate. It's fair for him to make an educated guess at what it is, but don't bank on it coming up. If you dig out last years Higher Biology thread, you'll see the variety of essay predictions, which you can compare to the actual paper.
    Oh I meant our second prelim paper not the actual exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    E. Coli? I don't remember any E. Coli when I did H. Bio. Why do yous get cool stuff after we leave?

Since I've started browsing the Biology SH forum, I've discovered that A levelers do so much more human bio than we do. Mentioned it to my PBL group, apparently the guy who did the Bio board with lots of human knew 20% of last year already.
    I'm sure you must have when did you leave school ? I have a bio textbook published in 2008 and e.coli its quite a big chunk of the genetic control topic. Its a part of the Jacob-Monod hypothesis of gene action in bacteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'm sure you must have when did you leave school ? I have a bio textbook published in 2008 and e.coli its quite a big chunk of the genetic control topic. Its a part of the Jacob-Monod hypothesis of gene action in bacteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nah, we just did straight up lac operon shiz. It was never put in context of an organism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    Nah, we just did straight up lac operon shiz. It was never put in context of an organism.
    There is no real context. We are just told that the mechanism for turning genes on and off was first investigated using an E.Coli bacterium...

ReputationRep:
    I like the lac operon! It looks confusing but it's actually really simple to understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.