Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    If you will find university boring, you will probably find investment banking even more boring. Not very much risk involved in it for the first 5 years.
    What kind of jobs are new workers given?

ReputationRep:
    LOL this guy is considering whether or not he should go to LSE, when he got an unconditional from OXFORD?

ReputationRep:
    A troll is a troll is a troll
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Simon.H.94)
    I'm currently on a gap year since i was too lazy to fill out my UCAS application last year before finding out there was a deadline

Anyways i decided to apply for LSE, oxford, Bristol, warwick and UCL for economics, i got an unconditional offer for all of them but i'm not sure if i wanna go to uni or not

However i feel like i'm wasting my grades by not going since i've got..
    12 A* at gcse

A* A* A* A* A* in Maths, Further maths, Physics, Economics & French (Full UMS in all my french, physics & economics units)

I feel like i would be wasting 3 years of my life by going to uni because I find the education system EXTREMELY easy & boring, my brother is doing maths PHD and i was going through some of his work and it was pretty self explanatory for me. So if i do BSC Economics i won't really learn anything new that i haven't already read in a graduate textbook

I've been doing some research on Investment banking and it seems like it's the only career that i don't find boring, my uncle said he can get me a job at a bulge bracket IB firm(not mentioning the name) since he works there's and there's a role that needs filling, which means I could be starting soon, however my dad wants me to go to uni because in a few year down the line if something happens and i'm not working there anymore i'll be an adult without a degree and i won't wanna go back to uni when i'm older, so that could affect the jobs i can apply for in the future, but it would be a really pointless 3 years for me

I'd like some opinions on what the best option to take is
    Mate, Oxford doesn't offer economics, as a current student I know...

ReputationRep:
    University's not only for getting a degree. People have found that going through university has nurtured themselves as 'people' improving upon their social skills.

If not for the degree, I recommend you still go to University so you can become a better person.

By your way of talking, it doesn't seem like even MaccyD's will give you a job lol.

ReputationRep:
    I found it funny, 8/10

ReputationRep:
    What kind of jobs are new workers given?
    If you have no prior experience and no university degree - on the banking side you will receive mainly administrative work. You may need to compile a few reports and scour a few databases.

If you already have some training in accounting/valuation etc. you may do some cashflow analyses, comparables analyses etc. but you will be mainly tinkering with existing spreadsheets rather than building your own from scratch.

If you are on the markets side of the business you will mainly run risk reports and won't receive your own book immediately unless you have licences already and have prior experience of having actually quoted/traded similar products at another comparably-sized firm or serious player in that asset class.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    If you have no prior experience and no university degree - on the banking side you will receive mainly administrative work. You may need to compile a few reports and scour a few databases.

If you already have some training in accounting/valuation etc. you may do some cashflow analyses, comparables analyses etc. but you will be mainly tinkering with existing spreadsheets rather than building your own from scratch.

If you are on the markets side of the business you will mainly run risk reports and won't receive your own book immediately unless you have licences already and have prior experience of having actually quoted/traded similar products at another comparably-sized firm or serious player in that asset class.

How about if i decide to get a degree, what will the first few year be like then?

ReputationRep:
    How about if i decide to get a degree, what will the first few year be like then?
    Depends on which side of the business you go into. Specify which area, and then I can tell you more about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragonborn)
    LOL this guy is considering whether or not he should go to LSE, when he got an unconditional from OXFORD?
    What's your point?

ReputationRep:
    What college at Oxford gave you the offer? How was the interview? Did you apply this year, in which case could you give me an example interview question?

Excuse my pessimism but you're testimonial whiffs of bull's excrement to me. If you can answer me some of my questions regarding the application process at Oxford/your college then I'd be grateful.

N.B. I did some of the interviews for my college this year with our senior tutor, so I may well be able to identify any inaccuracies. Secondly my mother was a fellow at Hartford until I was around 10 years old so I've spent quite a bit of time experienceing the Oxford college system. I'd be extremely interested to hear some of your thoughts on Oxford and the interview process.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on how to get an A* in Econ, I am predicted an A* but finding myself not motivated enough to revise. How did you find your experience with revision and what techniques did you use?

ReputationRep:
    Troll lol llol lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caveman123)
    You don't need advice, you need reassurance.

Go get that job in an IB. If you really are that bright, you might get in as a junior quant (anything's possible if you have contacts).

If after working a while you feel it's not your thing, you could go back to uni as a mature student.
    I agree.
    If you can earn good money and support yourself without having a degree, then you don't really need a degree. Plus, if you feel that spending three years at uni will be a complete waste of time, then you probably will not enjoy and benefit from the uni-life as much as you should.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Dragonborn)
    That's because LSE has a better economics department than Oxford...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimpleTom)
    Any advice on how to get an A* in Econ, I am predicted an A* but finding myself not motivated enough to revise. How did you find your experience with revision and what techniques did you use?

Yeah sure, i'm assuming you're sitting the national economy(unit 4) in June.

It's very easy to get 100% in economics but the majority of students just don't know how to answer exam questions. You have 3 topics to learn(macroeconomic indicators, managing the economy and the international economy) so buy an A2 textbook and re-write the whole textbook yourself. Sounds complicated but you have 6 months from January to do this so that's a lot of time to re-write all the main subjects that's covered such as inflation, economic growth etc

By the time you finish writing the textbook in your own word it's pretty much impossible to forget, now you just need to learn the exam techniques, you can read as much as you like but if you don't know how to write an essay the maximum you'll get is a C. This is where the boys are separated from the men.

There are 5 questions you need to answer, a 5 mark question, 10 mark, 15 mark and two 25 mark questions

5 marks
    Identify 2 features from extract A. This is a bonus question that anyone with more that 2 braincells should get 5 marks on, make sure each feature you mention includes figures & dates. If you do this for both that's full marks. You don't need to explain them since you get no marks for explaining so just identify them.

10 marks
    This is just as easy as the 5 marks question because you'll know how many marks each sentence you write is worth. It's kind of like a game actually if you look at it like this

-Definition (2 marks)
    -Your first analysis which is well followed through(5 marks)
    -Diagram that is fully labelled and described (4 marks)
    -2nd analysis which is well followed through(5 marks)

That should be your main structure which is worth 16 marks (so that's a guaranteed full marks on that question)

15 marks
    Very similar to the 10 mark question. Use the same structure but include and extra definition and more details to guarantee the full 15 marks.

2 x 25 marks
    This is the question that will determine what grade you get since they're worth 50 marks combined.

-2 definitions
    -Diagram to support definition/issue being discussed
    -Raise a point
    -Say what's wrong with that issue raised(This is where many people lose marks, you need a clear and logical chain of reasoning to get level full marks for the A03)
    -2nd point (make sure your points display how economic activities are inter-related, for example say how the balance of payment will have an effect on the exchange rate)
    -3rd point.
    -Then finally a conclusion, if you wanna get full A04 marks then you can't sit on the face, you need to make a clear final judgement, many people forget to find an extract from the extracts, you need to try and include a point from Extract A to support your final judgement.

You just need to look at each question like a game so that you know you're exceeding the marks required for each question, If you do this then you're guaranteed full UMS like me.

Which universities have you received offers from?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sure, i'm assuming you're sitting the national economy(unit 4) in June.

It's very easy to get 100% in economics but the majority of students just don't know how to answer exam questions. You have 3 topics to learn(macroeconomic indicators, managing the economy and the international economy) so buy an A2 textbook and re-write the whole textbook yourself. Sounds complicated but you have 6 months from January to do this so that's a lot of time to re-write all the main subjects that's covered such as inflation, economic growth etc

By the time you finish writing the textbook in your own word it's pretty much impossible to forget, now you just need to learn the exam techniques, you can read as much as you like but if you don't know how to write an essay the maximum you'll get is a C. This is where the boys are separated from the men.

There are 5 questions you need to answer, a 5 mark question, 10 mark, 15 mark and two 25 mark questions

5 marks
    Identify 2 features from extract A. This is a bonus question that anyone with more that 2 braincells should get 5 marks on, make sure each feature you mention includes figures & dates. If you do this for both that's full marks. You don't need to explain them since you get no marks for explaining so just identify them.

10 marks
    This is just as easy as the 5 marks question because you'll know how many marks each sentence you write is worth. It's kind of like a game actually if you look at it like this

-Definition (2 marks)
    -Your first analysis which is well followed through(5 marks)
    -Diagram that is fully labelled and described (4 marks)
    -2nd analysis which is well followed through(5 marks)

That should be your main structure which is worth 16 marks (so that's a guaranteed full marks on that question)

15 marks
    Very similar to the 10 mark question. Use the same structure but include and extra definition and more details to guarantee the full 15 marks.

2 x 25 marks
    This is the question that will determine what grade you get since they're worth 50 marks combined.

-2 definitions
    -Diagram to support definition/issue being discussed
    -Raise a point
    -Say what's wrong with that issue raised(This is where many people lose marks, you need a clear and logical chain of reasoning to get level full marks for the A03)
    -2nd point (make sure your points display how economic activities are inter-related, for example say how the balance of payment will have an effect on the exchange rate)
    -3rd point.
    -Then finally a conclusion, if you wanna get full A04 marks then you can't sit on the face, you need to make a clear final judgement, many people forget to find an extract from the extracts, you need to try and include a point from Extract A to support your final judgement.

You just need to look at each question like a game so that you know you're exceeding the marks required for each question, If you do this then you're guaranteed full UMS like me.

Which universities have you received offers from?
    That is awesome although I should have explained my situation better - we are doing the 2 year A Level course, so I have AS and A2 to do in May/June.

I find everything easy apart from the 25 markers, I always structure them really badly but your summary clarifies things nicely. At the moment I am getting around 90% in AS and 70-85% in A2. However I want to achieve 90% in A2 to be sure of the A* (not sure how that correlates to UMS).

In terms of universities I applied to the LSE, Warwick, York, Exeter and Sussex for Law.

My predictions are A*AAA however I got rejected by the LSE a few weeks ago but got an offer from the rest. Still deciding between York and Warwick or if I will re-apply next year if I get better grades than my predictions.

Do you recommend any good textbooks? The ones I have currently really suck.

ReputationRep:
    In relation to this thread - go to the LSE. My brother's friend did and she was in a similar situation to you - she graduated with a first. However what she found most useful was the links the LSE provides you. It is positioned in such a pivotal part of London that you are bound to meet and get a chance to impress people who work in IB. That gives you much more possibilities than you currently had prior to going to university as if you apply to most jobs now - if you don't have a degree you will automatically get rejected.

You seem like a smart block so I advise go to the LSE - learn an added language - French or Mandarin (free and most unis) and solidify your knowledge of your chosen degree choice.

You will be surprised how 3 years of your life can have so much impact on the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    You say you have good marks in french, why not study at Paris1?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSbzxB24GNU Introduction to the Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne

http://www.univ-paris1.fr/ufr/ufr02/...on-en-licence/ is the link the economics course

Additionally, the Bibliothèque de la Sorbonne is incredible!

Name:  bibliotheque+sorbonne.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  255.4 KB

SciencesPo and Columbia have a dual degree programme with majors in economics.

http://gs.columbia.edu/sciences-po/prospective

Columbia, too has an incredible library.

Name:  dsc_0874.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  123.6 KB

And go to Oxford or Cambridge for postgraduate?

ReputationRep:
    Rejected all my offers on ucas last week!

I've accepted the job offer and I'll be starting on the 3rd of June got all my suits and shoes sorted just need to find a nice watch now, post some link in this thread

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.