Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When you look in the mirror... Watch

ReputationRep:
    If this is true, I must look like an utter potato.

ReputationRep:
    It's true, I've even put it to the test. Looking at the mirror I look perfectly fine, whereas when I look at my photos I look 10x uglier and older

ReputationRep:
    haha

its actually a fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paradoxicalme)
    Tbh, my looks confuse me. I look in the mirror, no makeup, t-shirt and jeans, and I genuinely look quite pretty. Not beautiful, but cute, and I feel good about myself. But I can take a photo right there and then, and the photo will look different - and far less flattering - than what I can see right in front of me. I think I'm just hideously unphotogenic, but from what I've heard, unphotogenic just equals ugly and unwilling to admit it. But I've looked at myself critically in the mirror and I honestly do not look like what I look like in photos. My skin tone and face looks different. I'm slim, but I always look fat in photos because what weight I do have is concentrated around my face and stomach and my face always looks fat in photos. It's just really getting me down, because when I'm in a depressive mood I convince myself I'm deluded and that I'm just really ugly. But occasionally I will take a lovely photo, just out of the blue. My profile picture on Facebook is me, no makeup, not posing, and I actually look pretty and like myself.

...it's just so damn confusing! Stupid society, making us all hyperinsecure.
    Don't worry, the way you look in a mirror is a perfect reflection of how you look in real life. Photos are 2D images and the flash/lighting can make everything look harsh. I know plenty of people who look fine in real life but look like **** in photos.

ReputationRep:
    When I look in the mirror I think I look quite pretty, but when I have my photo taken I look like someone who eats kebabs for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm am not photogenic at all, and it gets me down because some people say the camera never lies... even though I know I look better in real life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Don't worry, the way you look in a mirror is a perfect reflection of how you look in real life. Photos are 2D images and the flash/lighting can make everything look harsh. I know plenty of people who look fine in real life but look like **** in photos.
    This.

Photos warp the geometric of faces, therefore affect how you - the image - looks in photos, as well as lighting, the quality of the camera, and your pose. And other factors.

Basically, if you think you look attractive in the mirror, then you are attractive in the eyes of others.

ReputationRep:
    Well done thats bound to boost up people's confidence

ReputationRep:
    Is this a fact? For real? No, this can't be true; you haven't seen me- that's just not possible! haha Who even comes up with these studies?

ReputationRep:
    It is not true as there is no standardised method of measuring beauty as it is subjective, and there is especially no way of accurately applying a numerical value to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    It is true. Some people do look better in reality however, it has been suggested by a few researchers that what you see is not generally what others will see. How you look in a mirror is how you look in real life but from other peoples' perpectives, you look different.

ReputationRep:
    I see a very attractive fellow :yep:

Alas, this isn't reciprocated by others

ReputationRep:
    bloody hell i must look like the embodiment of disease and pestilence then............

ReputationRep:
    I might be in the minority here, but I reckon I often look better on camera than I do in the mirror

ReputationRep:
    If that's true why does another person look 99% the same whether you look at them in a mirror, camera or in real life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lakesx)
    If that's true why does another person look 99% the same whether you look at them in a mirror, camera or in real life?
    I believe the person knows he or she looks different but ofcourse through your perspective, they look the same.

The theory stems from the concept of taking different pictures. You may take 10 photos of yourself in the same angle or position but after looking through them, you are likely to choose one or two you think look the best because you simply think that is what you look like as well as what others would see. The ones you didn't select are obviously the ones you think do not accurately represent what you look like when 98% of the time they are.

ReputationRep:
    and don't like what you see, you can find out first hand what its like to be me!
    sorry bit of an MCR freak!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firmfrank)
    Apparently, when you stare at yourself in the mirror, you see someone who is five times more good looking than what other people see.
    how do you feel?
    Only five times? Mirror must need a good cleaning...

ReputationRep:
    If you don't see anything you are 5x more a vampire than people who aren't a vampire.

ReputationRep:
    My beer belly is symmetrical so I don't think any of this mirrors and flipping stuff makes the slightest difference!

ReputationRep:
    When I look in the mirror, I don't even recognised myseyelf!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.