Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do you fear death? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Nay, I do not.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah. That's the worst thing about being an atheist, I have to accept that when I die that's it, finito.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really scared of death. I've thought about it a lot and feel at least somewhat prepared for it when it eventually comes. I don't believe there's anything after this life though.

ReputationRep:
    not particularly, we all die at some point, why bother spending time worrying about it? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livingstone)
    I read the thread title in a Davy Jones voice.
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    It's irrational to fear the inevitable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Livingstone)
    I read the thread title in a Davy Jones voice.
    Seconded. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    I'm not at all scared of death and what comes after. At the moment, I would welcome it. I've considered other possibilities before, such as reincarnation as another human and living another life, but not being able to remember your past one - perhaps deceased relatives being reincarnated as the children you or another person in your family bear, those kind of complexes have sprung to mind.
    what if u get reincarnated as a pigeon or a sloath? or if u get reincarnated as someone with down syndrome, ouch

ReputationRep:
    I used to not like the idea of there being a time in the future when I just... wasn't. But then I figured, I'm not bothered by the idea of the past not having me in it, why worry about the future not having me in it?

Besides, I'm going to live forever. From my own perspective, anyway

ReputationRep:
    I don't fear it. Although as some say maybe the act of dying would be very emotional. It's more the 'what comes after' that I think people (and myself at first) fear. However I decided to have a think about it a couple of years ago, something I never liked doing; it may be worth noting that I am not religious at all, I'm agnostic at the most.

I have been in existence for 19 years (I say exist rather than live or living for a reason) and I may have 60 or more year left. This fear of the unknown... I have already been there so to speak; 19 years ago I didn't exist and thousands of years of human civilization had passed before then.

If I were to die today, in effect it's the same situation as before I was in existence. I have never feared the time before I was here, why fear the time after I am here?

As I see it, we enter for a brief moment then we're gone again, and as we no longer exist before or after our time, it can't be feared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFlyinBallsack)
    what if u get reincarnated as a pigeon or a sloath? or if u get reincarnated as someone with down syndrome, ouch
    My previous theory was reincarnation as a human, not as an other animal

ReputationRep:
    I have passed out twice and I don't remember anything a few minutes before it or during it each time I was 'out' for about 10 minutes. If death is like that then I have nothing to fear as I didn't feel a thing! So I supose it depends on the manner that I was to go. As some deaths are more painful thann others.

ReputationRep:
    I do incase I haven't achieved everything that I'd like to.

ReputationRep:
    The only problem with me about the death is the concept of not knowing the nonexistance.Its not the fear of losing your life but more of how to not think,how to not feel :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ever since witnessing my own dad die, I'm so much more afraid of actually dying - brain dead.
    But in terms of what happens afterwards, I'm in no way fearful. I actually welcome the idea of death; some may believe that you simply cease to exist, but I'm a little more hopeful. Call me stupid, but I believe there's something there. I just don't know what.

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one? I am so terrified of death, not dying, but being dead and what that will be like. I believe it will be like an endless dreamless sleep, no thoughts, not even blackness and it scares me to death (ironically) often I can't sleep at night if I think of death, it is my biggest fear and I hate it :/ but I guess im weird :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    That being said, as one person has suggested, dying itself is rather terrifying. The process in which you die may be painful and that's something to be feared - for me, anyway.
    Exactly, drowning, burned alive, starved, the many ways in which the victims in horror movies die, it's that more than anything for me too

But if I'm old and my time has come, then I wouldn't say there was anything to be afraid of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Munrot07)
    Am I the only one? I am so terrified of death, not dying, but being dead and what that will be like.
    If you fear the 'Eternity' of death then here is a simple analogy to help. Before you were born you did not exist, you have no recollection of previous events preceding your existence. You have not existed for at least 13.7 billion years, yet you do not fear the time in which you did not exist. Rejecting the claim to the afterlife, when you die, you cease to exist; you ought not fear this as stated previously, non-existence conjures no thoughts of loneliness or emptiness.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I think I used to. But when I went through a rather bad phase of depression and actually at times wanted to end my own life I think I discovered that I actually fear the uncertainty of life more.

As for pain, if I could have my way, I'd die peacefully without any physical pain. But I have lost people before, and that pain is worse than anything else that I have ever experienced. So really I think that I fear losing my family to death more than death itself.

ReputationRep:
    If it's painful - yes, simply because of the pain.

If painless - no, of course not, because there'll be no pain.

And that's it really. If I'm dead, I can't really care or think anyway - even if others feel grief, I won't be alive or exist to feel bad about how they feel. I'll only feel such emotions whilst alive.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.