Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do Girls keep on going on about their boyfriend... watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a girl in a relationship and I can't stand girls being defined by their b/f and would hate to be like the girls you describe! so I feel your frustration! Another pet hate is when people are like, 'Do you have a boyfriend?' in general get-to-know-you chit-chat, like that's a great conversation driver!
    I think that for some girls, if it's their first relationship, they're really caught up and over-whelmed by it so they talk a lot about fact they have a b/f. Especially if they liked the guy for a long time or if they've spent ages being the single girl of their group. After that first boyfriend bliss they grow out of it, prob get hurt along the way and approach relationships in a different way to their teenage self.
    some girls never learn tho, they really don't grow out of it and pretty much live their life in the shadow of their b/f. It's annoying but really they're caught up in a cycle of behaviour- they depend on other guys for fun and a personality and keep desperatly seeking a replacement when it doesn't work.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, the boyfriend is a big part of their life so would also be a big part of their conversation?
    I do agree when people just go on it can be annoying, but say you would talk about the same things if it were just a friend you were talking about, but if they were your boyfriend you'd still talk about them a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    ...ad the fact they have one? It's like so many define themselves by the relationship they have. Boyfriends are like fashion accessories for these girls. So many many women I know are boring as sin because they always talk about their boyfriend in everything. It's like every girl I know who used to be fun and exciting and my friends are now boring because they have boyfriends and don't even hang around and go for drinks and stay in touch because of it. It makes you wonder if women and men can be friends and if women settle down that fast when they find someone.

Sometimes I wish I could shake these girls hard and tell them that nobody cares about their boyfriend and to talk about something else. I don't hear guys talking about their girlfriends all the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol, I see you're the beta white knight they have to sue as an emotional tampon.

The guys probably got wind of this and acting all beta they'd told the girls not to hang around with you.

Oh woe is the beta!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe its because they're overly proud or just want the attention that they THINK they'll get.
    I'm proud of my boyfriend but I don't go shoving his face in front of my friends and family, especially good strangers.
    In a way, I'm not the type of person who ONLY talks about him in between friends because there's always other good stuff such as games or music - something that we can all relate to.

I only talk about him when different guys starts acting suspicious or if I need to set an example of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    ...so girls without boyfriends sound way more interesting to you and therefore more likely to get a boyfriend?

In all seriousness, I don't know many girls that talk non-stop about their partners - though I like it when someone acknowledges their partner and mentions them - after all, they are an important part of their life and it is nice to see that people love each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRgawdlike)
    lol, I see you're the beta white knight they have to sue as an emotional tampon.

The guys probably got wind of this and acting all beta they'd told the girls not to hang around with you.

Oh woe is the beta!
    Oh here comes the chest beating 'roarrrrr... me alpha and you beta' dudes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because they are competing with each other and trying to convince other people they're really happy and have the perfect lives when the reality is they're very insecure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Over The Rainbow X)
    I think it is the case that girls tend to go on a lot about their boyfriend during the 'honeymoon' period, and most of the time, when things have levelled out, they seem to have a bit of a reality check and start being able to hold normal conversations again. If your girlfriends have recently entered relationships, they probably will be completely smitten, hence the constant talking about their significant other.

It is severely annoying though.
    I'd agree with this. I probably talked about my boyfriend a bit too much to my friends when we'd first started going out, but now we've been together for nearly 18 months, I only tend to mention him when it's relevant to the conversation. I think I still talk about him quite a lot, but only because he's such a big part of my life - it's just like how I'll talk about uni quite a lot because that's a massive part of my life too.

One of my friends from school got into a new relationship about a month ago and she's been posting on Facebook about how wonderful he is and what lovely things they're doing together - I also remember her adding "love you baby" at the end of every single Facebook status when she was with a previous boyfriend before we were good friends, so maybe some girls are just more prone to doing it than others? When we met up this holiday, one of my other friends told her that she seemed obsessed with him, but I think that's just how you are when you get into a new relationship - everything's so fantastic and wonderful and you can't see anything bad about it at all and you just want everyone to know how happy you are. Once the "exciting and new" feeling wears off and the relationship enters the "comfortable" stage, girls will usually start to talk about them less and less.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.