Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hedgeman49)
    It's not balls. You will get dinged by the auto filter of most decent sized firms if you have crap A-level grades.

The employment landscape has changed a lot recently - your dad probably got chartered in a time before UCAS points mattered (or probably even existed).
    to get into an accountancy type degree u need some 220 ucas points. the likes of oxbridge and russel group unis dont offer accouncy. That is how crap it is! that is how much of an unintellectual, boring subject it is! Maths and physics on the other hand kicks butt! No direct job lined up at the emd of it, but at least I am mentally fulfilled, challenged and stimulated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    to get into an accountancy type degree u need some 220 ucas points. the likes of oxbridge and russel group unis dont offer accouncy. That is how crap it is! that is how much of an unintellectual, boring subject it is! Maths and physics on the other hand kicks butt! No direct job lined up at the emd of it, but at least I am mentally fulfilled, challenged and stimulated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oxbridge don't but the vast majority of Russell Group uni's do.

Clearly some people find accountancy mentally fulfilling, challenging and stimulating or the top grad schemes wouldn't attract some of the top graduates.

Clearly just a troll so I don't know why I'm bothering to reply :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)

Clearly some people find accountancy mentally fulfilling, challenging and stimulating or the top grad schemes wouldn't attract some of the top graduates.

LSE
    Warwick
    Durham
    Bristol
    Bath

To name a few..

I expect Oxbridge to offer degrees in accounting, or at least joint degrees relatively soon.

I'm personally from an engineering background and I managed to do a module in accounting. The mathematical operations are easy, but that's not to say it's an easy subject because there is so much you need to memorise (I'm sure people doing the ACA would attest to that). You don't do calculations in a law degree, and yet law is one of the hardest degrees out there.

[Btw I know I'm quoting you but this is more directed to the guy you quoted]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)

cos you know that i'm right maybe that's why you replied? I saw a guy studying for his ACCA exams today in the library and omg i thought of all of you boring people!!!!! :eek: There was me sitting with my book on yitzhak rabin. far more interesting! . An no i'm not jewish - i just love history.

ReputationRep:
    cos you know that i'm right maybe that's why you replied? I saw a guy studying for his ACCA exams today in the library and omg i thought of all of you boring people!!!!! :eek: There was me sitting with my book on yitzhak rabin. far more interesting! . An no i'm not jewish - i just love history.
    I'm glad you're judging the entire population of accountants on one guy who was sitting quietly revising (and he probably didn't talk to you because he was revising!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    I'm glad you're judging the entire population of accountants on one guy who was sitting quietly revising (and he probably didn't talk to you because he was revising!)
    i didnt even try to engage in a conversation with him, lol! have nothing in common with accountants :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have just finished a maths degree.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished a maths degree.
    and why are you going into accountancy? You could have gone into accountancy with GCSE maths. Why do a maths degree then become an accountant? I don't get it? :/

ReputationRep:
    and why are you going into accountancy? You could have gone into accountancy with GCSE maths. Why do a maths degree then become an accountant? I don't get it? :/
    Why not? Accounting is very business oriented. If you enjoy working with numbers, and you find business interesting, accounting is a great fit.

Accounting can also be lucrative.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe people are actually taking this rock climber fella seriously.

ReputationRep:
    roughly you need 260 ucas points plus theres a lot more accountancy firms out there than just the top 4 lol. But aim for atleast 280. Degree you can do anything, experience is always good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    roughly you need 260 ucas points plus theres a lot more accountancy firms out there than just the top 4 lol. But aim for atleast 280. Degree you can do anything, experience is always good.
    I didn't say that you couldn't get into accountancy without 320. I just meant that was a good place to start. Though i think I've given incorrect info on the ACA exemptions, and got them mixed up with actuarial ones. I've edited my post as a result.

ReputationRep:
    Even 280 is leaning on the low end. Many of the top 50 ask for BBB minimum. I've researched them. BDO and Baker Tilly ask for BBC but further down it gets tougher. Smaller firms are more stringent as they actually need you when they make an investment whereas the big4 have the resources to cope should they need to let people go because they've failed their exams (having said that, it is not easy to get a contract a top 6, but don't expect it to get easier further down the rankings is all I'm saying).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    Even 280 is leaning on the low end. Many of the top 50 ask for BBB minimum. I've researched them. BDO and Baker Tilly ask for BBC but further down it gets tougher. Smaller firms are more stringent as they actually need you when they make an investment whereas the big4 have the resources to cope should they need to let people go because they've failed their exams (having said that, it is not easy to get a contract a top 6, but don't expect it to get easier further down the rankings is all I'm saying).
    it depends who you know, im talking from personal experience. I know some people who got contracts with firms with 260 ucas points. Its not really that strict tbh it depends how you are in the interview,tests,experience etc.

ReputationRep:
    Because I now hate maths. Even though I could get some kind of mathematical role I don't want one. Accountancy is more suited to my current wants, and I can always move to another sector once I qualify.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    it depends who you know, im talking from personal experience. I know some people who got contracts with firms with 260 ucas points. Its not really that strict tbh it depends how you are in the interview,tests,experience etc.
    I'd like to see how people with BCC fair with the exams. People who went to Oxford fail these exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    I'd like to see how people with BCC fair with the exams. People who went to Oxford fail these exams.
    Going to oxford does not automatically equal good at their job or good at professional exams. Sure, educational background helps but really it's all about the individual. There are many intelligent people who didnt go to a top uni, or even uni at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Because I now hate maths. Even though I could get some kind of mathematical role I don't want one. Accountancy is more suited to my current wants, and I can always move to another sector once I qualify.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    i thought about accountancy at one stage but it's not mentally stimulating enough for me. I've found programming to be very stimulating and tutoring maths, so i do maths tutoring (GCSE and A-level), and when I get a lame office job i do some VBA coding. I'm teaching myself SQL at the moment too. TBH I think most people go into accountancy for the money; I have a firm belief that anyone that tells you they genuinely love accountancy is a liar. Football, cricket, rugby, travelling, running your own business, being a physio/doctor, being a mountain guide - all these are more exciting and fulfilling than accountancy.

Not dissing accountancy people, but remember folks - you only live once! Don't spend your working life adding numbers!

And for that guy who said he can't believe people are taking me seriously I say you to I'm just giving my view on the subject of doing what you love - not what pays well....I'm totally serious, not a troll. I could easily cope with accountancy but actively choose not to pursue it as it'd be a waste of time.

On the other hand yesterday I was having a look at doing a scaffolding course, but 2 years is a big commitment! I don't think I could do any job longer than that! :/

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.