Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How close do you believe Messi and Ronaldo are? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitbd)
    In terms of talent Messi beats Ronaldo in dribbling, but their finishing is par
    Since you like stats:

Roanldo's scattergun approach to the game means he scores lots because he shoots lots. Messi shoots less and scores more. He is constantly hitting the exact corners of the goal with long range shots. It's freakish. Don't be fooled by Ronaldo, he shoots loads but a lot of them are miles off target.

Ronaldo is the more stronger player though, though Messi is the better provider, but in terms of Ronaldo having a stronger weaker foot than Messi and is better in the air, people talk about how Messi has a much higher skill set but in reality Ronaldo makes up for this in terms of how much more complete he is compared to Messi
    Messi has scored loads with his right foot though. Plus you're basically just agreeing with me, if Messi is a creator and a finisher then that makes him more complete a player than just being able to shoot with both feet (which Messi can do anyway.)

and how Ronaldo can be more useful for when the plan A isn't working in the sense that Barca have to put Pique up front just to have a target man when breaking down some opponents.
    I'm not sure how this works. Messi playing in midfield for Argentina and as a striker for Barca is surely proof of him being more useful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Authority_Song)
    Ronaldo is better at free-kicks and I would probably back him at penalties more than Messi.

No he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    messi is just better

ReputationRep:
    I would say Messi not the best penalty taker. Ronaldo is better there.

Free kick wise would say Messi. Messi is much more accurate and takes quite a few less. Ronaldo takes a sheer amount therefore one should go in after a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)

Free kick wise would say Messi. Messi is much more accurate and takes quite a few less. Ronaldo takes a sheer amount therefore one should go in after a while.
    Ronaldo's freekick taking reminds me alot of Roberto Carlos. Takes **** loads and but very few goes in but when they both set to take one, you're on the edge of your seat in high expectation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Ronaldo's freekick taking reminds me alot of Roberto Carlos. Takes **** loads and but very few goes in but when they both set to take one, you're on the edge of your seat in high expectation.
    Exactly I wont argue that Ronaldo hasn't scored some stunning free kicks. He has but so many of them end up like a rugby conversion or smack bang at the wall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Since you like stats:

Roanldo's scattergun approach to the game means he scores lots because he shoots lots. Messi shoots less and scores more. He is constantly hitting the exact corners of the goal with long range shots. It's freakish. Don't be fooled by Ronaldo, he shoots loads but a lot of them are miles off target.

Messi has scored loads with his right foot though. Plus you're basically just agreeing with me, if Messi is a creator and a finisher then that makes him more complete a player than just being able to shoot with both feet (which Messi can do anyway.)

I'm not sure how this works. Messi playing in midfield for Argentina and as a striker for Barca is surely proof of him being more useful?
    The stats may favour Messi but Ronaldo can score from anywhere in the opposition half, the way he makes the ball dip and swerve with power is incredible and finishes like 40 yarders and with his back heel are also what makes Ronaldo just as good as a finisher. Plus people are starting make Ronaldo seem like Gomez, he is involved much more heavily than people think, and I believe i depends on how you measure completeness, (never said Messi's right foot wasn't any good just Ronaldo'd left is better) as for me Ronaldo can do more things exceptional than Messi, though some of the things Messi does maybe of a higher quality, but that makes Ronaldo the better player most of the football clubs out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malevolent)

You know how this myth that Ronaldo is good at free kicks started? Because he hits them in such a way that when they go in, they dip all over the place at incredible speed and stay in the memory longer thus creating the illusion that he's good at them. It's the Roberto Carlos effect. Everyone remembers Ronaldo's Portsmouth one more than any Messi free kick for example.

But the vast majority of times he doesn't even clear the wall, or he clears it but it goes into row Z. If I was the Real Madrid manager I'd ban him from free kicks. You're basically just giving possession back to the other team. Messi makes the keeper work from the free kick more often than Ronaldo.

ReputationRep:
    A homeless person once kicked a football further than ronan keating

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo - More strength, amazing header, free kick master and he can defend the tad bit more than Messi.
    Messi - amazing dribbler, amazing finishing, amazing passing.

then again Messi mostly plays Central of the attack force - Ronaldo not as much.
    It would be good to see Bale on the left, Ozil on the right and Ronaldo Central attack.

Messi's physical weakness is compensated by his death touch and classical skill when he's dribbling.
    Currently Messi would just about take it - people forget to credit Iniesta for a certain amount of Messi's success, I wonder how many times/assists Iniesta has set up Messi for a goal.
    Messi's finishing is absolutely unreal, he can score from the most tightest of angles and beat the keeper like 90% of the time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Ronaldo - More strength, amazing header, free kick master and he can defend the tad bit more than Messi.
    Messi - amazing dribbler, amazing finishing, amazing passing.

then again Messi mostly plays Central of the attack force - Ronaldo not as much.
    It would be good to see Bale on the left, Ozil on the right and Ronaldo Central attack.

Messi's physical weakness is compensated by his death touch and classical skill when he's dribbling.
    Currently Messi would just about take it - people forget to credit Iniesta for a certain amount of Messi's success, I wonder how many times/assists Iniesta has set up Messi for a goal.
    Could say the same about Ozil and Alonso

ReputationRep:
    The stats may favour Messi but Ronaldo can score from anywhere in the opposition half, the way he makes the ball dip and swerve with power is incredible and finishes like 40 yarders and with his back heel are also what makes Ronaldo just as good as a finisher.
    Ronaldo isn't as good a finisher as Messi is, that much is obvious.

Plus people are starting make Ronaldo seem like Gomez, he is involved much more heavily than people think, and I believe i depends on how you measure completeness, (never said Messi's right foot wasn't any good just Ronaldo'd left is better) as for me Ronaldo can do more things exceptional than Messi, though some of the things Messi does maybe of a higher quality, but that makes Ronaldo the better player most of the football clubs out there.
    Messi at least matches Ronaldo in most aspects yet betters him in many more than vice versa. That's why he's more complete.

ReputationRep:
    I don't get it, he has scored 50 or more goals a season in the last 3. People use to say he didn't turn up in the big games (even though he had scored in a CL final and a 40 yarder winner) but surely this season he has been more consistent than Messi in the El Classico's though he started off the season weaker than Messi he still matched him in the early Classico's.
    its not just scoring goals its the way they play, messi is far better than ronaldo

ReputationRep:
    Considering skill it has to be RONALDO!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parasagarwal01)
    Considering skill it has to be RONALDO!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you mean by 'skill'? Because being able to do a flip-flap is irrelevant at the top level of football.

ReputationRep:
    ronaldo does get a lot of his goals from penalties and simple tap-ins, just saying

ReputationRep:
    zidane will ejaculate on both of their faces. messi and ronaldo are babies compared to zidane, maradona, pele and fat ronaldo (who by the way are all world cup winners)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    ronaldo does get a lot of his goals from penalties and simple tap-ins, just saying
    oh yeh and messi doesn't, ill be surprised if 95% of messi's goals are not inside the box.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack93o)
    messi broke gerd muller's record, but what people fail to mention is that 25 of his goals were penalties

good talk kid. ronaldo > messi for sure

messi's goals are all beautifully set up for him

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldo is a better individual player, while Messi is a good player I would like to see how good he is without service from Xavi and Iniesta....

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.