Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Will you attempt to increase relations with the MUN following the motion calling for said increased relations passing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    Will you attempt to increase relations with the MUN following the motion calling for said increased relations passing?
    Yes, I've got a few bits and pieces in the works, related to the WFTZ.

ReputationRep:
    After yet another fraudulent election in Zimbabwe which looks set to return Robert Mugabe to power, what contribution can the UK make towards helping real democracy to flourish in this country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superunknown17)
    We will be seeking to increase relations with the MUN, as we believe that increased relations can only be good for both the MUN and MHoC. As Qwertish said above, there are measures in the works.

(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    After yet another fraudulent election in Zimbabwe which looks set to return Robert Mugabe to power, what contribution can the UK make towards helping real democracy to flourish in this country?
    We take all allegations of corruption seriously, and are concerned by the possibility of rigged elections in Zimbabwe. We will continue to condemn the apparent lack of democracy and will continue to follow international measures currently imposed on Zimbabwe in the form of economic sanctions etc.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Where does the Foreign Secretary stand on the current sabre-rattling by Spain over Gibraltar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Where does the Foreign Secretary stand on the current sabre-rattling by Spain over Gibraltar?
    We feel that Spain's recent actions over Gibraltar are unacceptable and are clear and deliberate attempts to disrupt the territory of Gibraltar. We reiterate to Spain that Britain's sovreignty of the rock is a non-negotiable issue and would advise them to cease their actions immediately.

ReputationRep:
    Plz no MUN cohesion. Ta.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Plz no MUN cohesion. Ta.
    ¿Por qué no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    ¿Por qué no?
    I think the MUN is generally a boring place. Don't get me wrong, I think the hypes and stuff look awesome (I'd love to do that), but I don't see the appeal behind choosing a minnow country and then commenting with generic statements on current intl affairs. I prefer the MHoC as it is, and, as I was away for the apparent passing of an increased relations vote, wanted to air my views. Why not just keep them separate? It's clear not everyone wants integration in the MHoC, and I suspect the same is true for some MUNers.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think the MUN is generally a boring place. Don't get me wrong, I think the hypes and stuff look awesome (I'd love to do that), but I don't see the appeal behind choosing a minnow country and then commenting with generic statements on current intl affairs. I prefer the MHoC as it is, and, as I was away for the apparent passing of an increased relations vote, wanted to air my views. Why not just keep them separate? It's clear not everyone wants integration in the MHoC, and I suspect the same is true for some MUNers.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    Also, with only 13 members voting in favour in increased relations out of the 33 members who voted on that petition, I don't think there is a strong appetite for it here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metrobeans)
    Also, with only 13 members voting in favour in increased relations out of the 33 members who voted on that petition, I don't think there is a strong appetite for it here.
    And yet (apparently) we're to be subjected to "a few bits and pieces...relating to the WFTZ". Ah well, see how it goes I guess.

ReputationRep:
    And yet (apparently) we're to be subjected to "a few bits and pieces...relating to the WFTZ". Ah well, see how it goes I guess.
    Its quite easy not to comment on the thread that will include linking the two forums together; I don't see why the 13 members who did vote aye cannot be allowed to take advantage of the fantastic potential the two forums linking together can have. It isn't one superseding another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Its quite easy not to comment on the thread that will include linking the two forums together; I don't see why the 13 members who did vote aye cannot be allowed to take advantage of the fantastic potential the two forums linking together can have. It isn't one superseding another.
    I think it depends how it's done really. One thread may not be a big deal, but any further changes to our procedures to link in the MUN might not be the best idea. I also suspect there's far more potential for the MUN in having the two forums linked, than there is for the MHoC...

ReputationRep:
    You may be forgetting that the WFTZ was originally a treaty which was written by the MHoC and then submitted to the MUN. You're hardly being subjected to anything; if you don't want to be involved in any kind of cross-Model stuff, then don't participate in that stuff

We've already decided, as a House, that any kind of integration must not involve the MHoC being in anyway obliged to follow MUN rulings (in a similar way that the MHoC doesn't need to follow EU rules). It'll just be an opportunity for people who want to be a bit more involved in the international side of things.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    By that logic nobody should try forcing parties to change their name, it's never stopped them in the past.

No, i'm happy with the current arrangement which is that each government can be as committed or uncommitted to MUN relations as it likes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    By that logic nobody should try forcing parties to change their name, it's never stopped them in the past.

No, i'm happy with the current arrangement which is that each government can be as committed or uncommitted to MUN relations as it likes.
    Completely different situations in that one (party naming issue) seriously concerned overall activity and the well-being of the house. The other is simply a fantasy for the MUN users to use in the HoC. Anyway, let's see how things pan out.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Completely different situations in that one (party naming issue) seriously concerned overall activity and the well-being of the house. The other is simply a fantasy for the MUN users to use in the HoC. Anyway, let's see how things pan out.
    Distinct but relevant.

Besides as the voting records and bill/motion challenge shows the problem is MP activity, not output.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Distinct but relevant.

Besides as the voting records and bill/motion challenge shows the problem is MP activity, not output.
    Voting still remains a large issue. There are numerous vacant seats in the House at this point, yet everyone seems averse to a seat reduction.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Voting still remains a large issue. There are numerous vacant seats in the House at this point, yet everyone seems averse to a seat reduction.
    There are 4 and 2 of these will be filled within a week (assuming the Greens don't take ages)..

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.