Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisconcertingWink1)
    Be perfect, in other words?
    I can but hope!

I suspect the show's producers are conscious that they have both a young and an old audience who like different elements of the show for different reasons, so each season ends up containing a mish-mash of thematic elements and plots.

They really need to either work harder at reconciling those differences (maybe have a more collaborative writing team) or just clearly aim the show either at children or us older folk. Moffat wrote some of the best episodes of the RTD era, but as head of the whole show it feels like his scripts have been dragged into unnatural territory for him.

ReputationRep:
    Heroes went downhill. It was amazing, and it just got really rubbish after season 1 or 2.

I agree with what people are saying about lost, but I still loved it all despite all the confusion it created.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Torchwood: Miracle Day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lightburns)
    Torchwood: Miracle Day.
    OMG yeeeees! Brilliant (Children of Earth) to abysmal in one season!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would like to add Smallville.

Season 1 was great but I just did not like how it turned out and was dragged out and out and out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eloquai)
    Couldn't agree more - I absolutely loved Lost's first two seasons: the imagery, mystery and symbolism, but it very quickly became a convoluted mess that required two brains working full time to properly understand.

It would have worked far better had they limited themselves to two/three seasons maximum (with maybe a shorter number of episodes per season) to fully flesh out a coherent story without stretching it into chaos.
    I think I remember one of the writers admitting that thought they'd get cancelled before the story was finished and it was going to be one of those cult shows that the fans wish had carried on (which I suppose it started off as,) if they thought like that I'd guess they never had a gameplan. Even then I think season 3 was meant to be the last season, hence why some of them escape the island, but the network begged them to carry on because it was making them a ton of money so they had to invent some convoluted reason to make them go back.

ReputationRep:
    I think how I met your mother has been going downhill since the first few seasons especially after the Stella era(don't remember exact seasons) after that there were one a handful of good episodes each season. How ever I feel this current season has been an improv,net because they are not stalling as much but really angry that they're getting another season as the writers will now try and probably do major U turns on all the plot lines they were setting up and try and drag it out for another season.

I think Frasier after hikes and daphne got married kind of got stale, 2.5 men after jake grew up started sliding and now in the Kucher era is hurtling towards the lowest level of entertainment.

Good wife season 3 was pretty poor but they've picked it up in season 4
    Gossip Girl 90210 fell after there 1st seasons and I think one tree hill became very aimless/ mediocre episodes after Lucas and Peyton left.
    Homeland season 2 relative to the 1st was a pretty average I thought

As for animated shows I think Simpsons is a good example of a show that has been in a slump the last 5-6 seasons but is picking up again, Futurama new series was very poor. Family guy is very contrived these days. Only animated shows which I feel are improving are American Dad and Bobs burgers

Tbh the only show which since it aired has delivered season after season of consistently exceptional episodes is Mad Men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justanotherposter)
    I think I remember one of the writers admitting that thought they'd get cancelled before the story was finished and it was going to be one of those cult shows that the fans wish had carried on (which I suppose it started off as,) if they thought like that I'd guess they never had a gameplan. Even then I think season 3 was meant to be the last season, hence why some of them escape the island, but the network begged them to carry on because it was making them a ton of money so they had to invent some convoluted reason to make them go back.
    Yeah, I've heard very similar things. One of the main cast members (can't for the life of me remember who) said in an old interview that the producers would have been happy to leave it as a two-season show but were pressured into prolonging the show for much longer then they'd planned for.

So many American TV shows seem to follow this pattern - they start strong, get really successful, get unnaturally prolonged, lose success and then get abruptly cancelled. At least Lost managed to avoid the fate of Heroes though...

ReputationRep:
    Weeds! I used to love that show so much.
    Grey's anatomy
    Heroes
    Dexter maybe... don't know. as soon as it started becoming really soap opera-like I stopped watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absity)
    Heroes. Could have been absolutely brilliant - had a huge cast, great actors, appealing ideas, and stunning cinematography. Unfortunately they filmed episodes on the spot without thinking ahead and wrote the series into a corner with no way out. Still love every episode, but there's no doubt that it's first season can't be compared to and it really was a let down after that.

Also, Doctor Who. I'm not a hipster, just genuinely loved the family value of the show as a kid and now can't believe how much it has changed. The theme song (which always changed every series, but retained much of the original melody) now sounds like some kind of dubstep wibbly wobbly timey-wimey remix, and I can't even hear the famously recognisable Doctor Who tune anymore!
    Fixed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomavery)
    Weeds! I used to love that show so much.
    Grey's anatomy
    Heroes
    Dexter maybe... don't know. as soon as it started becoming really soap opera-like I stopped watching.
    Dexter's an odd one. Season 3 looked to be the death of the show for me after a brilliant first two seasons, but then season 4 picked it right back up again. Seasons 5 and 6 were a slow decline... but then season 7 just blew my mind. It was right up there with the first two.

Most shows just get steadily worse, Dexter's just odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by March)
    Dexter's an odd one. Season 3 looked to be the death of the show for me after a brilliant first two seasons, but then season 4 picked it right back up again. Seasons 5 and 6 were a slow decline... but then season 7 just blew my mind. It was right up there with the first two.

Most shows just get steadily worse, Dexter's just odd.
    I found there were parts of Dexter which I didn't like so much, and some little story lines where just a bit boring and didn't fit in. But overall... I Love Dexter

ReputationRep:
    HIMYM - may as well be cancelled
    Heroes - They cancelled it at the right time, it completely fell off.
    Family Guy - Not even remotely funny anymore.
    Two and a Half men - Still funny, but nowhere as good as it was with Charlie Sheen
    Gossip Girl - Thank God it's over.
    90210 - I don't think there's a guy on the programme that hasn't banged Silver.
    True Blood - Has gotten a bit silly from what I remember.
    Breaking Bad - Hasn't quite been as good since what's his name got half his head blown off - but it's drawing to a close at least.
    X- factor - no more please.
    Big brother - must be stopped.

ReputationRep:
    True blood: So so good to begin with (big fan of the books) and to see them come alive was brilliant. Then season 5 happened. And then the season 6 trailer happened. Will only keep watching it because... Not sure.

Disagree with south park: I have loved season 16. Sarcastaball is a top five episode for me!

Doctor who: episodes with rose - fantastic (think it may have been the first three seasons of the modern series?). I have lost interest after Matt smith's first season...

Misfits: Without Robert Sheehan there was no misfits.

A series that has been consistent throughout for me is Six Feet Under... If you haven't seen it, see it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Sadly I have to agree. I love that show but Season 1 and 2 were so much better than 3 is atm. It's all about stupid Amanda this and Amanda that and I don't know "oh michael your hand your life sucks now". I'm hoping it's truning around again.

Another similar show that I love was The Unit. I bet it ended because it focused too much on trying to be like Desperate Housewives rather than embrace the amazing action/military show that it is.
    totally agree about nikita, but i still have to keep watching it for some reason lol

ReputationRep:
    Heroes - amazing first season, the second was terrible but it wasn't really their fault (big strikes going on in the production and writing industy in hollywood at the time, they had to cut the season short and tie it up in 9 episodes instead of 24) not that I'm complaining about Milo ventimiglia being shirtless all the time, but come on guys. It could have been incredible.

Doctor Who - I just do not care for Matt Smith one bit. It all seems so slapstick and childish nowadays, none of the realism or grit that eccleston brought to it, nor the spark that DT had

Gilmore Girls - maybe I'm just bitter that Jess left, but rory got dumb and lorelai did stupid things and Logan was a douchebagel after season 5 it was all crappy

Glee- not sure if it actually got bad or I just realised how bad it was, but couldn't watch after season 1

Outnumbered - I still watch it admittedly, but the kids aren't the same. it's not their fault they're getting older but it has lost its charm.

ReputationRep:
    Family Guy has always been bad.

ReputationRep:
    The last couple of episodes of HIMYM have been extremely bad. They haven't had a clear plotline, and the acting has been bad.

Season 4 of the IT crowd was really bad too.

TBBT has always been bad after season 1 or 2 really.

ReputationRep:
    Family guy is still good to this day.

TBBT was genius for the first season or two, now it's complete crap. South park also used to be very entertaining when it actually had a storyline, but now it just seems like they do bad parodies of current events in every episode, and nothing else. It's unwatchable.

HIMYM and 2.5 men were always terrible shows.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01Chris02)
    I don't agree with all of those, I still enjoy HIMYM, Big Bang Theory and Family Guy.

An example of a show that truly went bad would be LOST after season 2-3.
    N'aww, Lost only went bad in the 6th Season! Those who say beforehand probably just don't like that it turned from a drama to an all-out sci-fi in Season 4. I admit that the character development went way downhill after it was done with the Flashbacks but as long as you accept that additional characters beyond the original 815 survivors were introduced just to further the plot and cruelly disposed of very quickly, it didn't really matter too much.

It was in the 6th Season when it jumped the shark one too many times, but Season 5 was my favourite and had the best cliffhangers.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.