Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to get rid of VERY oily facial skin. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Just because he's male doesn't mean he can't use Clinique/Estee Lauder. :confused: Skincare shouldn't be gender-specific.
    Yeah that's true, but I was trying to help, and I didn't think suggesting to use Estee Lauder would appeal to him :p:

Maybe he could use Clinique, I heard they do actually have a mens range. Proactiv imho is the best though for very oily facial skin. I have combination skin and I only used it on my chin, nose and forehead and that worked wonders x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ash Pearson)
    Yeah that's true, but I was trying to help, and I didn't think suggesting to use Estee Lauder would appeal to him :p:

Maybe he could use Clinique, I heard they do actually have a mens range. Proactiv imho is the best though for very oily facial skin. I have combination skin and I only used it on my chin, nose and forehead and that worked wonders x
    Skincare shouldn't need to have a 'men's range'. It's skin, it's unisex. I understand that men can feel almost emasculated if they're seen to be take interest in skincare etc, but defining a line between 'women's skincare' and 'men's skincare' just magnifies that.

ReputationRep:
    There are some really good creams out there that can dry skin up.
    My sister said try this cream one time, i thought it was moisturiser and then she was like it dries the skin out and gets rid of the oil. :P At the time i had no oily skin. Next day my nose was flaking! Try Dove stuff, that works well when i have oily skin. Even just cleaning with their soap.

DOVE SOAP

ReputationRep:
    Skincare shouldn't need to have a 'men's range'. It's skin, it's unisex. I understand that men can feel almost emasculated if they're seen to be take interest in skincare etc, but defining a line between 'women's skincare' and 'men's skincare' just magnifies that.
    Actually that's not true there are differences between male and female skin.
    Male skin is thicker, has smaller sebaceous gland, produces more oil because of testosterone and is generally more fragile because of shaving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brahinmanc)
    Have tried so many products available but nothing seems to eliminate this. Any recommendations?

More severe in the t-zone, and just to give an example my face is always shiny because of the oily-ness and if I talk on my mobile, after the phone call you can see the oilly-ness on the screen of my phone too etc.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
    A few tips . . .

- Use only LIGHT, oil-balancing moisturisers. Body Shop Seaweed day cream, for instance.

- TEA TREE OIL will be your best friend, works wonders on oily skin. Use as a cleanser / toner / face wash (add a few drops to lukewarm water) / spot preventer.

- Benefit Porefessional is my favourite product for oily skin. Smooth on in the morning over your T-zone. It's not a foundation, it blends into the colour of your skin. It stops shine immediately. You can get a cheaper alternative to top up during the day if you notice it's starting to get oily again (you'll find lots of cheap versions under the main make up brands / moisturiser brands)

- Cucumber makeup wipes. These are great - not expensive either, 3 packets for £3 in Boots at the moment. Use one in the morning and one at night to clean your skin properly and leave it nice and refreshed. Even though you don't wear makeup, they help to clean your skin thoroughly.

:-)

ReputationRep:
    There are actually quite a few differences in male and female skin. And we have different needs, anyway - women tend to look for moisturisers that go well under makeup, guys tend to look for moisturisers that can be used after shaving, etc. Also we tend to go for different perfumes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heirloom)
    Actually that's not true there are differences between male and female skin.
    Male skin is thicker, has smaller sebaceous gland, produces more oil because of testosterone and is generally more fragile because of shaving
    Fair enough but what I'm getting at is just because something doesn't have 'FOR MEN' slapped on it, doesn't mean that men cannot use it. It's about skin types in general, not male/female skin.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by brahinmanc)
    Have tried so many products available but nothing seems to eliminate this. Any recommendations?

More severe in the t-zone, and just to give an example my face is always shiny because of the oily-ness and if I talk on my mobile, after the phone call you can see the oilly-ness on the screen of my phone too etc.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.
    A good exfoliant and a brilliant moisturiser.
    There are hundreds available, but it's best to find one that gives results that you feel comfortable with.

I'd try St. Ives Apricot Scrub, it's inexpensive and available in most pharmacies/stores.

I can't recommend a specific moisturiser, so have a look at what other members have suggested and reviews.

If your acne and oily skin is very severe, then visit your GP as they can give a stronger solution for it.

:hat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeekisChic)
    The best thing I've tried is the simple moisturiser range. I used to have very oily skin, but once I got over my fear of moisturiser and used light moisturiser regularly it seems to have got a lot better.
    Hope this helps you 😄 but every one's skin is different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which simple moisturiser did you use?

ReputationRep:
    Clinique do a range of face cleansers for oily skin which are an absolute godsend. They're expensive but totally worth it, a bottle lasted me about a year which I used sparingly but it really does work. I can't remember what it's called but if you ask in boots they should know what you're on about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george.e)
    Which simple moisturiser did you use?
    Sorry it took so long for me to reply- too much revision!! I use the simple kind to skin vital vitamin day cream with sun screens. It comes in a little white pot with a green lid.

ReputationRep:
    I had this issue for a long time and it was so depressing.

I now use 'Simple Blackhead eliminater' on my T-Zone every morning and evening as it has Zinc PA which apparently absorbs excess oils as well as clearing blackheads which can be a result of oily skin. I then use 'Simple oil balancing exfoliator' which I use every other day and it just gives my skin a lovely, fresh look. I then use Simple oil balancing moisturiser every day too.

I've been using it for 6 months now, routinely, and I don't have oily skin at all any more, it's smooth and blackhead free.

If you wear make up, switch to a BB cream which is oil-free or has oil absorbing products in it, and check your makeup wipes too, I've had some bad reactions to some fragranced ones/cheap brand ones. I like Simple, they really are my favourite skin care brand!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 4, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.