Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    What's a site history?

Sorry, if I'm being thick.
    The history of a website.

Like this.

ReputationRep:
    I'm hearing Banaboo to the tune of Olivia Newton John's Xanadu.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    And those that did submit gave us entries we couldn't possibly use.
    Those were the best kind of entries!

ReputationRep:
    Banaboo sounds like some sort of monkey.

On a serious note, to my mind TSR seriously fails to achieve the potential it could - where is the regular 'voice for students, the representative of TSR' in the media? Mumsnet has someone on the radio or the TV every other day representing the alleged views of mothers.

Part of the problem is the lack of linkage - if site membership had to prove student affiliation it would be a much, much better site. At present, the site is inundated with people not at college, political activists of the far right, old folk, etc. It would be better to have to supply a recognised university domain-linked email address for authentication, or to connect it with Facebook sign-in, or both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Banaboo sounds like some sort of monkey.

On a serious note, to my mind TSR seriously fails to achieve the potential it could - where is the regular 'voice for students, the representative of TSR' in the media? Mumsnet has someone on the radio or the TV every other day representing the alleged views of mothers.

Part of the problem is the lack of linkage - if site membership had to prove student affiliation it would be a much, much better site. At present, the site is inundated with people not at college, political activists of the far right, old folk, etc. It would be better to have to supply a recognised university domain-linked email address for authentication, or to connect it with Facebook sign-in, or both.
    It's not just a site for university-goers though. There are plenty of sections to the site, like the jobs section and CV help. You don't need to be a student to benefit from that information, not to mention the "The Parent Room" section for parents of students/potential students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    It's not just a site for university-goers though. There are plenty of sections to the site, like the jobs section and CV help. You don't need to be a student to benefit from that information, not to mention the "The Parent Room" section for parents of students/potential students.
    Non-students could still read it, the problem is that much of the potential of the site is undermined because threads are dominated either by older people in work who aren't students or by (frankly) schoolchildren who can't really contribute on the same level. Maybe there should be two sites - it would be better to have a niche site for universities only. Maybe someone should start one!

ReputationRep:
    Non-students could still read it, the problem is that much of the potential of the site is undermined because threads are dominated either by older people in work who aren't students or by (frankly) schoolchildren who can't really contribute on the same level. Maybe there should be two sites - it would be better to have a niche site for universities only. Maybe someone should start one!
    They might want to ask questions, not just read. I can see your point of view but as with a lot of things I think you have to put up with a few bad things for the greater good and I think the site is doing good at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    They might want to ask questions, not just read. I can see your point of view but as with a lot of things I think you have to put up with a few bad things for the greater good and I think the site is doing good at the moment.
    Not really, it does some useful things like provide a lot of information about universities and courses and enable information-sharing, but it isn't what it needs to be in the current climate, against a backdrop of terrible unemployment for grads and huge financial pressures on students, it should have much more of a campaigning edge. What weakens it is a combination of poor control of threads (the debate forums are painted over with repetitive extremist and irrelevant, out of touch nonsense from what appears to be a small handful of individuals, possibly with multiple accounts) and lack of a coherent policy towards membership, which means it constantly loses focus.

Shame really, as it has huge potential.

ReputationRep:
    Thank our lucky stars he just considered it rather than doing it.

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to split the site up and have a separate one for uni students. Not least of all because those in uni can and do give advice to people who are not in uni about....say...attending uni.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.