Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can a blind (from birth) person be racist? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes of course. Racism has nothing to do with sight. There will always be a way to discern two types of people and a blind person would still have the cognitive representation necessary to make judgements.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, of course. Anyone can be racist.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad went blind at a very young age and still manages to be incredibly racist.

ReputationRep:
    Clayton Bigsby from Dave Chapelle Show fits this description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Interesting. It's quite possible that they could distinguish between nationalities by accent etc, and between races by touch (in films you get blind people recognising people by feeling their face, I don't know how true that is), but I think they are far less likely to distinguish between a very British white person and a very British chinese person, and therefore are far less likely to care.

What about if they were conditioned by their parents to hate certain races even if they couldn't see them? That would still be a racist attitude.

On the whole I'm going to say it's possible for them to be racist, but they probably won't have that gut reaction of disliking someone upon seeing them that other people might have.
    That never happens in real life, ever. Voice, height and footfall patterns are generally how they recognise people who don't introduce themselves by name.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Mullah.S)
    Are you saying there are innate differences in humans of different races other that physical appearance?

I.e a newly born Chinese baby is innately different from a newly born English baby, aside from physical appearance?

You are saying there are behavioural traits genetically ascribed to different races? And the behaviour of the individual is directly related or caused by their race (in a genetic sense, not a social upbringing sense) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope (though there are innate differences of course, just minor enough to be statistically ruled out in most instances by individual genetic variation). What I meant to put across was that there are many reasons a person might be racist even if all of those reasons are poor ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidH20)
    Disliking someone because of their race is racism, no matter how you find out the race...
    What about someone who is not able to find out the race of someone?

Are you saying a blind person can tell the race of someone (genetically speaking)?

You put a Chinese baby in Arab country and raise it there, it will speak Arab and have Arab accent and learn Arab customs and pick up Arab behaviour and conform to Arab social norm. Is the baby no longer Chinese race? Can the blind person tell the baby is Chinese?

What does it mean to be racist if you can only be racist with the aid and cannot naturally be racist your self? This is what I would mean if I said blind people can't naturally be racist. This is why I pose the question : can a blind person be racist?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Nope (though there are innate differences of course, just minor enough to be statistically ruled out in most instances by individual genetic variation). What I meant to put across was that there are many reasons a person might be racist even if all of those reasons are poor ones.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But is that racism though? Is that being prejudice because of their race?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes, by a similar principle some Christians hate Muslims, and vice versa despite having never met one. That's just one example of many.

ReputationRep:
    It does happen.
    (Original post by Cake Faced Kid.)
    That never happens in real life, ever. Voice, height and footfall patterns are generally how they recognise people who don't introduce themselves by name.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about someone who is not able to find out the race of someone?

Are you saying a blind person can tell the race of someone (genetically speaking)?

You put a Chinese baby in Arab country and raise it there, it will speak Arab and have Arab accent and learn Arab customs and pick up Arab behaviour and conform to Arab social norm. Is the baby no longer Chinese race? Can the blind person tell the baby is Chinese?

What does it mean to be racist if you can only be racist with the aid and cannot naturally be racist your self? This is what I would mean if I said blind people can't naturally be racist. This is why I pose the question : can a blind person be racist?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can hold racist views, and thus be racist, without even meeting a person of said race.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Posted from TSR Mobile

But is that racism though? Is that being prejudice because of their race?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't see why the reason why a person was racist would affect their classification as racist. If believing white people are from Galacticon Alpha 4 causes you to be prejudiced against white people, then that's still racism, and just as ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents are blind, 6 other blind close relatives in my family, I have continually done charity work for Guide dogs, and work experience for RNIB and never have I ever come across or heard of people touching faces. The general consensus is that it's creepy and impractical, seeing as the person in question would recognise the voice much more easily than the facial features.

ReputationRep:
    [...]
    Therefore, if you are blind, can you really truly be racist without aid?
    A blind person could have racist views about people from country X, but not realise that someone in front of him/her is from country X. The blind person would be racist, but would not act in a racist way, unless provided with more information.

Sighted people can also become racist towards a stranger when their senses provide new information. I think that some Poles suffer from that in the UK - no discrimination until they open their mouths.

ReputationRep:
    Both my parents are blind, 6 other blind close relatives in my family, I have continually done charity work for Guide dogs, and work experience for RNIB and never have I ever come across or heard of people touching faces. The general consensus is that it's creepy and impractical, seeing as the person in question would recognise the voice much more easily than the facial features.
    Agreed. I have a blind-from-birth relative, and he says that only happens in films.

ReputationRep:
    OMA! i am so sorry i was thinking this post was quoting my post. i did not realise you saying "that never happens" in repsonse to what that other person said, i thought you were say it to my post.

i am on mobile so is difficult to see who you quoted.

when is say yes it does, what i thought i was meaning was "there are some people, where you can close your eyes and spend a day with them and you would not be able to tell they are arab or chinese for exaple"

read my post andbyou will understading this response

in conclusion, i am apologise, i was talking about something else when i saying "yes it does"

ReputationRep:
    OMA! i am so sorry i was thinking this post was quoting my post. i did not realise you saying "that never happens" in repsonse to what that other person said, i thought you were say it to my post.

i am on mobile so is difficult to see who you quoted.

when is say yes it does, what i thought i was meaning was "there are some people, where you can close your eyes and spend a day with them and you would not be able to tell they are arab or chinese for exaple"

read my post andbyou will understading this response

in conclusion, i am apologise, i was talking about something else when i saying "yes it does"
    It's fine, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't see why the reason why a person was racist would affect their classification as racist. If believing white people are from Galacticon Alpha 4 causes you to be prejudiced against white people, then that's still racism, and just as ridiculous.
    you know, this is being more interesting thought question.

if i write on piece of paper *racist comment*

give this paper to person x and telling it to read him

person x recites *racist comment*

is this person x racist?

with the criteria being postulated by many of responders on this thread, is logical to making this proposition that person x is racist.

the idea is that any racist action (which is be 'classified' by society) that occuring, the perpatrator of this action is racist.

to my opinion, this is idea is more a superficial prescription of the term 'racist'

the racism i postulating is this:

do thinking of this sequence

(a) person is believe - via his own conclusions - a particular race, by nature, holds certain characteristics

(b) person identifies someone as this particular race

(c) person overules his emperical judgment of this someone with the characteristics in (a)

(d) person acts upon his pseudo-judgment formulated in (c)

the racism i am talk about is a-b-c-d

many people response on this thread is discussing b-d , where the other steps is being skipped completely, and (d) is not based on a formulated judgement, but a prescribed judgement

this is not the racism i am intend to discussing as subject of this thread.

do you think born blind people is being able to do a-b-c-d

i am personal curious if born blind person is able to achieve (a)

what are you think?

ReputationRep:
    I see someone beat me to posting the Dave Chappelle skit
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    -snip-
    I think that in order for one to be termed racist, they must hold racist beliefs. Simply reciting a racist comment or acting in a 'racist' manner wouldn't be enough, however we might infer from racist behaviour that the person does indeed hold racist beliefs, and is therefore a racist.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.