Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Angry note on my car saying the police had been informed for "parking over drive" Watch

ReputationRep:
    I had something similar happen to me last year. I'd parked outside my friend's house while visiting him, he lives in a really small village and on the corner of two roads, one of which is just a parking area for some other houses. I'd parked half-on half-off the kerb, a good 15 feet from the corner, so as not to block his parents into their drive. There was still plenty of space for people to get past on the pavement and plenty of room for cars to go past in both directions, plus the roads are virtually deserted round there so I figured people would be able to get out of the parking area without any difficulty. Yes, I guess this was technically an illegal way to park but in the absence of any better options (the parking area was completely full) I thought it was reasonable).

Anyway, a couple of hours later I came out to get a jumper out of my car and somebody had put a note under the windscreen complaining that I was parked too close to the junction and shouldn't be on the kerb, and that I obviously don't read my Highway Code!

Having said that, though, the people round there do seem particularly crabby - there's a bench outside my friend's house backing onto their hedge and he once received a letter from the parish council ordering it to be cut back because it was slightly overhanging the bench (despite the fact that in 5 years of living there my friend said he'd never seen anyone use it! ) I guess it's just one of those situations where what's gone on is technically illegal, but in practice nobody except a major control freak is going to give two hoots, including the police.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caseyhayes)
    Oh, I didn't think of this, I just came home as I was a bit worried at the time. Will this be an issue?
    Just put it back quickly and snap a shot

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do feel bad about it... this isn't something I had considered. Will this not just lead to me getting lectured and them trying to get more details off me to make me feel like more of a criminal?
    They might give you a lecture, but it will draw a line under the affair and stop you worrying. The police wouldn't have any difficulty tracing you, if they already had the car reg number, so knocking on the door isn't going to increase the risk of the chances of them taking action (which are pretty much zero anyway).

ReputationRep:
    I had parked up in a space on a residential street this morning, and found a note attached to my windscreen later saying I had parked over someone's driveway and how selfish this was and the police had been informed.

I was really suprised at this and then went and looked and my back wheel was about 1ft over the white line demarcating where not to park. I must have just not pulled far enough forwards this morning. I feel really bad about this, however the driveway was very wide though and there was no way I had blocked anyone from leaving the drive.

I know I made a mistake, but realisitically am I going to get points for this? I am sure the person will have taken a picture or something? I am really worried.
    At most you'll get a parking fine, don't worry it was an honest mistake.

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine. The police may contact you and give you a verbal warning not to do it again but it shouldn't be anything beyond that.

ReputationRep:
    What a waste of paper to complain about something as trivial as that! Especially since you hadn't actually blocked their driveway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had parked up in a space on a residential street this morning, and found a note attached to my windscreen later saying I had parked over someone's driveway and how selfish this was and the police had been informed.

I was really suprised at this and then went and looked and my back wheel was about 1ft over the white line demarcating where not to park. I must have just not pulled far enough forwards this morning. I feel really bad about this, however the driveway was very wide though and there was no way I had blocked anyone from leaving the drive.

I know I made a mistake, but realisitically am I going to get points for this? I am sure the person will have taken a picture or something? I am really worried.

You may make an appearance on http://youparklikea****.com/

In all honestly, I am probably going to get negged here, but the way I see it, inconsiderate parking is a no go and ignorance is not a defense.

1 foot is a fair distance car wise and depending on the width of their drive and vehicle, it may have stopped them or made it very difficult to get in and out.

You should be aware of your vehicles dimensions and the space you are parking it and should be able to park within the lines.

Not attacking you personally as we don't have the full story on the situation, just my general opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DotDotCurve)
    You may make an appearance on http://youparklikea****.com/

In all honestly, I am probably going to get negged here, but the way I see it, inconsiderate parking is a no go and ignorance is not a defense.

1 foot is a fair distance car wise and depending on the width of their drive and vehicle, it may have stopped them or made it very difficult to get in and out.

You should be aware of your vehicles dimensions and the space you are parking it and should be able to park within the lines.

Not attacking you personally as we don't have the full story on the situation, just my general opinion.
    Haha I don't think I will - mine really wouldn't be very interesting compared to those!! But fair enough, I did make a mistake.

ReputationRep:
    So? That 1ft makes it harder for the owner of the driveway to drive out without hitting your car and damaging theirs. You deserve to be fined IMO

ReputationRep:
    The white 'H' lies you seem to be referring to have no legal meaning. They are simply something that residents can pay to have painted as a deterrent. If people choose to ignore it however, the police wouldn't do a thing as they are advisory only.

Have a google.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    I reported someone completely blocking in my car in a car park (residential one) and the police said that they couldn't really do anything unless it was at a time that I was needing to move my car (so when I was going to work or something). They may come to talk to you (altho given that it wasn't a complete obstruction I doubt it) but I think that'll be as far as it goes

ReputationRep:
    OP, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Sounds like an idiot making a fuss.
    It's actually not illegal to block someones drive at all so long as there isn't a car parked on it. We don't block peoples drives because it's inconsiderate but that still doesn't mean any laws have been broken.

Carry on as normal and forget about it.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your advice. I am just going to try not to worry and be more careful in future.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your advice. I am just going to try not to worry and be more careful in future.
    that's the main thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    It's actually not illegal to block someones drive at all so long as there isn't a car parked on it. We don't block peoples drives because it's inconsiderate but that still doesn't mean any laws have been broken.
    I am fairly sure that parking blocking a dropped kerb is bookable.
    Not sure whether a parking offence or obstruction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mphysical)
    I am fairly sure that parking blocking a dropped kerb is bookable.
    Not sure whether a parking offence or obstruction.
    Well, if you can find a law against it, post it up and prove me wrong!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster

How do you know you haven't blocked someone from leaving the drive? My parents have their own car in their driveway. (so, 2 cars) If someone parks anywhere over where the kerb has dropped, it means they can't get in or out of the driveway.

We get a lot of people who park and block the driveway and claim they're "only going to be a few minutes". There's plenty of room either side of our driveway and over the side of the road.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When i had the problem of people blocking the drive all the police said was we had to get a white line so they could get a ticket for blocking it, however the police won't come out and issue them one a traffic warden must walk past (this means the driveway owner can also get a ticket for parking on the white line) however if there is no white line the police can deal with it (but they could never be bothered to do anything about it)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

no you won't as the traffic warden has to be there to give the ticket, that's what i was told by them. but just be more aware where ur parking because it's annoying someone parking in front of ur drive, and when u have to go somewhere u have to find whoever it is, takes time and effort lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    How do you know you haven't blocked someone from leaving the drive? My parents have their own car in their driveway. (so, 2 cars) If someone parks anywhere over where the kerb has dropped, it means they can't get in or out of the driveway.

We get a lot of people who park and block the driveway and claim they're "only going to be a few minutes". There's plenty of room either side of our driveway and over the side of the road.:rolleyes:
    I was so barely over the white line that the kerb wasn't even dropped at that point- I'm not saying I didn't do something wrong, just am sure that, though I am sure I made it more difficult, they would still have been able to leave..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 21, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.