Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    I used to have bad acne as a teenager and went on Roaccutane. Things improved, and over time I've had occasional break outs.

Lately I've been getting some pretty bad ones. I have one on my chin right now, and it refuses to go away. It's really big and it's deep under the skin (and seems to never grow properly out). It's painful and there is literarly no way of covering it up.
    I've also had some mini pimples on my chest which almost reminds of a rash.

i absolutely hate this and don't know why I am cursed with such bad skin. I eat super healthy - I'm on a diet before summer and have no sweets or junk food. I also have a very thorough skin regime, never ever sleep with makeup on and use a lotion against acne I got on prescription.
    To sum it up, I pretty much do the right things to avoid to common causes of acne.

Now I'm starting to wonder whether I have some sort of hormone imbalance or something to cause this. Are there medical reasons which may be to blame?
    Go back to your GP. They may be able to provide you with a new prescription of something.
    Acne can be caused by high levels of testosterone which lead to the sebaceous glands producing excess sebum (oil). If the follicles are blocked with dead skin cells and the sebum can't get out to the surface, blackheads are formed. These can get infected by Propioniumbacterium acnes which causes the painful spots.
    If you exfoliate gently twice a day this reduces the dead skin cells that block the follicles. However, this probably will not make a significant difference until you are on another treatment like roaccutane again, or antibiotics, possibly topical prescriptions.
    I hope things start to improve for you soon.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.