Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Noble.)
    We are easily annoyed. One of the reasons I hate seeing this thread popping up all the time, every time someone posts a thread asking this question you can guarantee the following discussions takes place:
    Don't forget what General Melchett pointed out: it's always suspicious when people refer to the three great universities of Oxford, Cambridge and Hull - Oxford's a complete dump

ReputationRep:
    This is a simple one.

Obviously you have done some research, or else you wouldn't have some sort of list.

Suppose you got offers from all you have applied to. Surely you have some idea which you would firm.

So really, at the back of your mind, you already have the answers. It's just you would like others to agree with you.

ReputationRep:
    We are easily annoyed. One of the reasons I hate seeing this thread popping up all the time, every time someone posts a thread asking this question you can guarantee the following discussions takes place:

• Oxford vs. Cambridge
    • Oxford vs. Warwick / Cambridge vs. Warwick
    • Someone mentions how Oxford is crap because they don't ask for STEP
    • Why is satisfaction so low at Imperial?
    • Warwick vs. Imperial
    • Oxbridge vs. Imperial
    • Someone will post the usual list of COWI(BB)
    • Someone will mention how UK mathematics is a joke and how, in China, everyone has the equivalent of a Cambridge degree in mathematics by the age of 5
    • Someone will post a link to a Hong Kong A-Level maths exam, telling people it's more challenging than STEP
    • Someone will post a list of where the IMO winners end up and base their opinion on the best universities for maths on this

Also the fact that the majority of people who end up posting with their 'ranking' and 'opinions' have zero experience of undergrad. mathematics, it gets quickly tedious after you go through this 15 times.

You're definately correct on this one.

Here's my proof!

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52489790/al-pure-2011

ReputationRep:
    Clearly Aston ranks up there

Spoiler:
    Show
    On a serious note, I would strongly recommend prospective applicants listen to Noble. and just Google for information - if you need help making up your mind at that stage then I would be much more willing to give detailed advice. But there's no point if it's all going to go over your head because you have no idea what any university is like!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caveman123)
    Apply to Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial, then forget the rest.

If you don't receive offers from any of them, I suggest you retake.
    What a ridiculously silly statement.

If one gets into Oxford, Bristol or Durham for Maths, they should reject it and retake to get into Warwick?

You sure are heading for failure in life with that thinking.

@OP,

Cambridge
    Oxford
    Imperial
    Warwick

Those 4 appear to have the strongest reputation for Maths.

The following are also good:

LSE, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Bath, St Andrews, Manchester, Nottingham, KCL, Edinburgh and York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chapmouse)
    The OP asked for UK universities.
    I was responding to the title of the thread:

Which are the best Universities for Maths?

(Original post by LutherVan)

If one gets into Oxford, Bristol or Durham for Maths, they should reject it and retake to get into Warwick?

@OP,

Cambridge
    Oxford
    Imperial
    Warwick

LSE, Durham, UCL, Bristol, Bath, St Andrews, Manchester, Nottingham, KCL, Edinburgh and York.
    Depends how you define failure.

At least I've been through the system and seen more than most on TSR, so can express my views with some degree of confidence.

I am assuming the OP is a top mathematician so should be applying only to the top unis. As it's not possible (in the same year) to apply to both Cam and Ox, (and in any case I am of the view Cam tops Ox), he should apply to Cam, War and Imp as they are deemed the top.

If he fails to get into any of them, then either he's not a top student or is unlucky.

If he's not a top student, this debate is meaningless.

If he was simply unlucky, he should reapply to the top unis, rather than settle for anything less.

ReputationRep:
    I was responding to the title of the thread:

Which are the best Universities for Maths?

Depends how you define failure.

At least I've been through the system and seen more than most on TSR, so can express my views with some degree of confidence.

I am assuming the OP is a top mathematician so should be applying only to the top unis. As it's not possible (in the same year) to apply to both Cam and Ox, (and in any case I am of the view Cam tops Ox), he should apply to Cam, War and Imp as they are deemed the top.

If he fails to get into any of them, then either he's not a top student or is unlucky.

If he's not a top student, this debate is meaningless.

If he was simply unlucky, he should reapply to the top unis, rather than settle for anything less.
    That confidence is very misplaced as your opinion is actually quite rubbish. Which system did you go through that resulted in this failure in thinking?

So an unlucky top maths student that does not get into COWI should just forget about doing Maths in any other UK uni because ........?

I just hope you never go into any "advisory" or "critical thinking" job. That would be a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    That confidence is very misplaced as your opinion is actually quite rubbish. Which system did you go through that resulted in this failure in thinking?

So an unlucky top maths student that does not get into COWI should just forget about doing Maths in any other UK uni because ........?

I just hope you never go into any "advisory" or "critical thinking" job. That would be a disaster.
    At least I haven't got any warning points.

ReputationRep:
    Apply to Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial, then forget the rest.

If you don't receive offers from any of them, I suggest you retake.

They are the four UK universities .....

There are universities in other parts of the world that, despite not receiving the same level of publicity, have some of the best brains.

After all, judging by the UK's A-Level standard, it's not exactly a world leader.

Even if you add STEP /AEA and MAT, it's not at the top.

@OP,

Cambridge
    Oxford
    Imperial
    Warwick

You don't understand logic do you?

If you only applied to Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial, how could you possibly get offers from Oxford, Bristol or Durham and then rejecting them for Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallytired)

If you only applied to Cambridge, Warwick and Imperial, how could you possibly get offers from Oxford, Bristol or Durham and then rejecting them for Warwick?
    I take it maths is not your strongest point and you are one of those terrified of the subject.

Logic too must be quite an alien in the space between your head (pun intended).

Let me teach you a bit of logic.

- Each applicant has 5 choices to apply to.

- An applicant applies to Cambridge, Imperial, Warwick, Bristol and Durham

- The applicant gets offers from Bristol and Durham but rejection from the others.

- This is the part you hear "doh" in the space between your head.

- Have you heard it yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reallytired)

Ignore LutherVan, he's an idiot who can't read.

The secret's in the word ONLY,

ReputationRep:

And the sense is in the fact that people don't only apply to 3 universities.

Never say something as dumb as "if you don't into X forget about going to university" again.

ReputationRep:

Yeah I agree.

Noticed he's picked quite a few fights on TSR.

Easier to let him stay in his own bubble!

ReputationRep:
    right haha, also does anyone know if when applying to Oxbridge through UCAS in October, do you also apply for your other 4 Universities at the same time as that application, or are they sent off in January when everyone else applies for non-Oxbridge Universities?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JC95)
    right haha, also does anyone know if when applying to Oxbridge through UCAS in October, do you also apply for your other 4 Universities at the same time as that application, or are they sent off in January when everyone else applies for non-Oxbridge Universities?
    They're sent off at the same time as your Oxbridge application.

(Not to say I told you so, but do note that the majority of discussion on the second page of your thread is hilariously pathetic and pointless)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _JC95)
    Hi guys, I have been told I have the potential to read Maths at any top UK University. I am currently in Year 12 and need to start thinking about which unis I want to visit.

My priorities are: high mathematics teaching and research ratings, good location, quite a bit away from my current South Yorkshire location.

I want to apply to one of Oxbridge, Warwick and then obviously 3 others. I want to apply to 1 London based uni, which is the best for maths?

Also, are there any other universities very good at Maths such as Durham etc?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Whichever you choose in London, make sure it's NOT the LSE.

ReputationRep:
    They're sent off at the same time as your Oxbridge application.

(Not to say I told you so, but do note that the majority of discussion on the second page of your thread is hilariously pathetic and pointless)
    However, not on your list of predicted topics. Add 'increasingly hysteric and pointless debate about logic' to your list? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Imperial now requires the MAT I hear. I wonder what mark they're looking for any suggestions?

They also ask for STEP in replacement of MAT. An attempt to "overtake" Warwick or specifically, an attempt to be perceived as a better university for Maths than Warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savvy Sage)
    Imperial now requires the MAT I hear. I wonder what mark they're looking for any suggestions?

I jest. They're not going to look for a specific score, just use to to compare scores against other people applying to Imperial (and potentially Oxford applicants as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    However, not on your list of predicted topics. Add 'increasingly hysteric and pointless debate about logic' to your list? :rolleyes:
    Typical I know. I think they all read the list and were determined not to start a discussion involving the points on it, so came up with this current ridiculous argument.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.