Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanilla-ice)
    I'm not surprised! I thought I'd be prepared by now but I'm definitely not beginning to regret taking it on at A2... AS was blissful in comparison! Our teacher gave us a pack of vocab to learn but it's a ridiculous amount so whatever goes in really How about you?
    Making sure I learn the John Taylor Beyond GCSE vocab, and then supplementing it with other words and the AQA list. There's so much to memorise and after that you've got to be able to apply it in context and use your knowledge, I personally think they ask you to memorise a hell of lot, maybe too much? I also think its the toughest A Level.

ReputationRep:
    It says A2 but is anyone taking the Latin Language exam this Friday (F361), that's for retakers or AS students. I'm taking it to try and gain a few extra UMS which could prove to be vital.

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I'm so glad to find some other people out there taking latin A2! I'm doing Aeneid 4 and Annals 15. One thing I'm unsure about on the essay front (a part from the ridiculously small amounts of time you get to write it) is quoting, specifically for the general essays - do you quote in latin from passages not given in the question paper or just paraphrase the English? Thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joereed)
    x
    I'm taking the AS lang paper on friday!

(Original post by ohmygosh)
    Could anybody post an essay they have done for the literature part of the exam (Aeneid or Catiline)?? it would be so helpful as I have been struggling to improve or get an idea of what to aim for. It would be SO appreciated!
    Right... a variety of my practice essays: (if my uploads work!)

This is a Sallust essay, got 21/25. As you can see it's not actually that long, so if you're worried about time this should be reassuring!

Page 1 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00090.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  498.7 KB Page 2 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00091.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  497.6 KB

This is a Virgil essay, got 22/25. Again, only 2 sides, you just need to make sure you're really concise and refer directly to the text

Page 1 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00092.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  498.6 KB Page 2 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00094.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  498.3 KB

If anyone finds this useful, I'd be happy to upload any more
    Sorry quality's not great x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emma2013)

I done a past paper today and got 90%, which believe it or not I was annoyed with, I made a couple of stupid mistakes! Hows your revision going? Have to say doing F361 is a welcome break from the Livy!

ReputationRep:
    I done a past paper today and got 90%, which believe it or not I was annoyed with, I made a couple of stupid mistakes! Hows your revision going? Have to say doing F361 is a welcome break from the Livy!
    Revision for this one's actually going okay, but then if it weren't there would be a problem for the A2! Yeah I keep messing up simple stuff like agreement, but hopefully as I've been doing as many as I can as quickly as possible, I'll have the time to be able to go through it properly in the exam! Urghh livy... You don't even get the satisfaction of finishing a sentence and knowing it's right as the whole passage is about the length of one of his sentences!

ReputationRep:

Right... a variety of my practice essays: (if my uploads work!)

This is a Sallust essay, got 21/25. As you can see it's not actually that long, so if you're worried about time this should be reassuring!

Page 1 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00090.jpg
Views: 763
Size:  498.7 KB Page 2 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00091.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  497.6 KB

This is a Virgil essay, got 22/25. Again, only 2 sides, you just need to make sure you're really concise and refer directly to the text

Page 1 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00092.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  498.6 KB Page 2 Name:  Cheltenham-20130521-00094.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  498.3 KB

If anyone finds this useful, I'd be happy to upload any more
    Sorry quality's not great x

This is absolutely brilliant! Thank you so much, they really help to give me a guide as to what to aim for. If you are able to upload any others that would be great too There is finally some enlightenment on the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Language-wise, memrise.com is such a good website for learning vocabulary! They have both AS and A2 word lists it's so so useful

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I haven't replied to some quotes, will do tomorrow, but good luck for anybody doing the exam tomorrow, for any A2 students, the exam should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    Sallust is slowly eroding my soul with his nonsensical arguments.

AS isn't much harder than GCSE in my opinion, but it gets a lot tougher for A2. They stop editing the passages and you don't get given a vocab list.
    oh... thank you

ReputationRep:
    I know its a bit late but thoughts on the Latin Language exam last Friday? As an A2 student I thought it was very basic, especially the first section with the Cicero being slightly more trickier but nonetheless, im hoping I must have got over 90 UMS

ReputationRep:
    I know its a bit late but thoughts on the Latin Language exam last Friday? As an A2 student I thought it was very basic, especially the first section with the Cicero being slightly more trickier but nonetheless, im hoping I must have got over 90 UMS
    I though it quite easy too, especially the first bit as well. I had a few hiccups with the Cicero- "sic vita hominum est:"...? I assumed this was some kind of idiom and tried not to translate it too literally, and I know I messed up some vocab as I had a complete blank with 'me paterer' and guessed... still hoping UMS to be favourable as I really need 90+, the Cicero's only 30 marks though so hopefully will have got the 90+

ReputationRep:
    I though it quite easy too, especially the first bit as well. I had a few hiccups with the Cicero- "sic vita hominum est:"...? I assumed this was some kind of idiom and tried not to translate it too literally, and I know I messed up some vocab as I had a complete blank with 'me paterer' and guessed... still hoping UMS to be favourable as I really need 90+, the Cicero's only 30 marks though so hopefully will have got the 90+
    oh yes "sic vita hominum est:" did stump me I think I put soething like 'in this way his life was human', maybe a bit too literal and yes 'me paterer' was slightly confusing and I couldn't quite understand the work from which it came from, I translated it as an imperfect passive subjunctive of a made up word! oh dear

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone looking forward to the verse exam? For me virgil should be ok, but I eally to crack down on the vocab! Otherwise the translations aren't too bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flyte12)
    Yay! I'm so glad to find some other people out there taking latin A2! I'm doing Aeneid 4 and Annals 15. One thing I'm unsure about on the essay front (a part from the ridiculously small amounts of time you get to write it) is quoting, specifically for the general essays - do you quote in latin from passages not given in the question paper or just paraphrase the English? Thanks for any advice!
    I'm glad to find someone who does the same set texts as me! Thoughts on the Tacitus?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Does anyone happen to have the AQA a2 vocab list? If so please could you upload it/ email it to me? I can't find it anywhere on the internet

ReputationRep:
    Is everyone looking forward to the verse exam? For me virgil should be ok, but I eally to crack down on the vocab! Otherwise the translations aren't too bad.
    More so than the prose- verse seems to be easier for some reason... I just need to do some more practice essays including some of the general ones for virgil

(Original post by ccy)
    Hi. Does anyone happen to have the AQA a2 vocab list? If so please could you upload it/ email it to me? I can't find it anywhere on the internet
    I'm afraid I only have a hard copy- AQA have removed it from their website since they stopped running latin
    this might be useful though, http://www.cambridgescp.com/ws2_tlc/vocab/aqa_a2.html it's no exchange for the real one, but should help with the vocab a bit

ReputationRep:
    More so than the prose- verse seems to be easier for some reason... I just need to do some more practice essays including some of the general ones for virgil
    Latin is stressing me out a lot. Verse should be ok but Prose...when I think of the Prose exam I die a little inside!

ReputationRep:
    Latin is stressing me out a lot. Verse should be ok but Prose...when I think of the Prose exam I die a little inside!
    Yeah ditto. Thankfully prose is last though, and verse is a week after my other exams have all finished, so 2 weeks for loads of cramming!

ReputationRep:
    also doing aeneid and annals, so difficult! thank god for last year. Can anyone tell me what I need to get this year to get an a overall? I got 190/200 last year.. thanks

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.