Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Technique Critique/Advice Thread Watch

ReputationRep:

Deadlift technique always sucked. Hurt myself in October deadlifting. Been squatting again few months now. Starting to deadlift again. forgot how lol.

Did some light stuff at 80kg today. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)

Deadlift technique always sucked. Hurt myself in October deadlifting. Been squatting again few months now. Starting to deadlift again. forgot how lol.

LMAO, the music combined with the post set dance was very disturbing indeed. I'm not going to sleep tonight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    LMAO, the music combined with the post set dance was very disturbing indeed. I'm not going to sleep tonight...

Lol, i was just too excited at getting 80*5.

Ooo, this is half my 5RM deadlift and a weight i can easily bench and almost push press for this many reps. Trollololololol.

Also, you're a reader of my blog, why are you commenting here and not there?

ReputationRep:
    Lol, i was just too excited at getting 80*5.

Ooo, this is half my 5RM deadlift and a weight i can easily bench and almost push press for this many reps. Trollololololol.

Also, you're a reader of my blog, why are you commenting here and not there?
    Haha, it must have felt light then for you. I'll comment on then for you as well
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

TBH with the camera position, it's difficult to see anything....

I would say though to lean back more when preforming the lift, your starting position doesn't look too bad, but the your bar seems to be far to far away from your legs during the rep causing your lower back to round ever so slightly. Maybe it was because the weight was lighter than what you are used to, but you should be using some of that body weight to help get that bar off the floor, and that means leaning back during the lift, even scraping the top of the shins and thighs if you need to. Having said that I would also say don't bother hyperextending at the top, there's not need to do this unless you are competing as it will cause you problems.

ReputationRep:

Your back seems "floppy" when you lift. It doesn't seem like you're keeping tight at all and your back rounds a fair bit even on this light weight. I'd work on keeping an arched/neutral back and keeping the bar into your shins and thighs and your scapula retracted. Focus on form rather than speed - consider resetting properly between each rep.

ReputationRep:

Some forward tilting that I want to get rid of. Help? I'm also getting some shoulder/biceps pain.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're already pretty upright for your leverages and bar placement. So I just don't think you're going to get much more upright unless you want to take a higher bar placement. Which I don't think would help your numbers.

For your shoulder/biceps pain, you might have a lack of external rotation in the shoulder. See BASL for the fix. (I think you have the book.) Also, you might want to widen your grip, possibly adopt a false grip and possibly lose your pinkie on the grip while doing this. Have a play around with those and that might help. Shoulder/biceps issues are a normal risk of that particular close/low bar placement though.

ReputationRep:
    Some forward tilting that I want to get rid of. Help? I'm also getting some shoulder/biceps pain
    If I may id like to offer a little feedback on your technique.

Based upon your video it is evident that your core musculature is not capable of maintaining a neutral spine position during the eccentric and concentric phase under the load in which you are lifting.

Firstly, when you un-rack the weight and assume the correct squat stance you are already leaning forward. As you eccentricly lower the weight your chest begins to lower, but stays in an acceptable position for this phase.

As you initiate the concentric phase of the lift your legs drive upward in a powerfull fashion, however at this point your chest drops quite dramatically and stays in this position until you correct it with an exadurated use of the lower back. You are almost performing a partial 'good morning' or 'stiff legged deadlift' in the final stage of your concentric phase.

The advise I would offer is to firstly lower the weight that you are currently backsquating to a load that your core musculature is able to handle throughout the whole lift alowing you to maintain an upright, neutral position. Secondly work on your 'front squat' such an excessive front tilt and lowering of the chest is not possible during the front squat as it will result in you loosing the bar forward. This will force you into maintaining an upright position throughout the whole movement. Thus ultimatley improving your back squat.

ReputationRep:

Same set, twice.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Appeal To Reason,

I have a little advice to offer, firstly please feel free to challenge or question anything I say as we all have slightly different views on the correct execution of the squat, after all a bit of debate is healthy

Can I ask why you use a lifting belt? Having read a number of texts relating to the use of lifting belts it can be said that they potentially pose a detremental effect to the development and strengthening of core musculature. By adding such a support you are dirrectly reducing the work required of the core structures. Whilst your quads, hams and glutes are progressivley strenghening in response to an increased load is your core up to speed? Personally I have never used lifting aids as the body should and will adapt natrually to the movement and load that is placed upon it.

Your technique is very good and only, in my opinion, requires a little fine tuning. Firstly your eccentric phase should be a lot more controlled and concentrated. I personally work on a 3-4 second lowering period, althought this is directly effected by the weight in which I am lifting. With heavier, low rep efforts it is much more difficult to control the eccentric phase but a maximal effort from the lifter should still be made to achieve this control. Such a controlled eccentric phase is directly beneficial to increasing strength and muscle mass.

With regards to your squat depth and positioning your technique looks good. Good intense lift of the rack, heads up, neutral spine assumed, chest held high and maintained throughout the lift, good depth and explosive concentric phase. I think any other advice from myself would be me being extremely picky.

In conclusion, more control during the lowering phase, dont let the weight control you.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, could I get form checks on my squat, c&j and snatch please? I'm aware there's a bunch of problems with the o-lifts specifically, but I'm just after some help from some people who know some of their **** (well, more than me anyway!).

Squat 60x10 (1RM 110): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bblu8sX0y6Q
    Snatch 8x2 @ 30kg (1RM ~50kg): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW1jKw1uIgw
    Clean and jerk 8x2 @ 40kg (1RM ~70kg): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWcYQiaKd9Q

Thanks anyone!

ReputationRep:
    I think you could do with pushing your knees out a lot more on the squat. Your knees come in more than I would like. Your weight also looks like it is on the inside of your foot, which is probably not very good for your knees/hips. You probably need to do some mobility work.
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/d...3-squat-cycle/
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/d...2-squat-cycle/
    Will probably help you.

For the weightlifting stuff: get a coach if you can. It's notoriously difficult to coach weightlifting via the internet because it's hard to slow the lifts down enough for you to have any time to think about stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    I think you could do with pushing your knees out a lot more on the squat. Your knees come in more than I would like. Your weight also looks like it is on the inside of your foot, which is probably not very good for your knees/hips. You probably need to do some mobility work.
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/02/d...2-squat-cycle/
    Will probably help you.

For the weightlifting stuff: get a coach if you can. It's notoriously difficult to coach weightlifting via the internet because it's hard to slow the lifts down enough for you to have any time to think about stuff.
    Thanks dude, flexibility has always been my problem. The two problems you mentioned are I think both the same problem - the knees coming in pull the outside of the foot off the floor (or possibly vice versa). Strangely though, I've tried to correct this the last few times I've squatted and it really really feels like my foot is firmly on the floor and my weight is in the correct position despite the video evidence to the contrary. Think I'm gonna start all squat sessions just by sitting down into the bottom position and holding there for 30-60 secs a few times and see if I can sort it.

Flexibility wise, I have been stretching like a beast for months and months now. When I first started I could (quite literally) barely reach a half-squat. Parallel was completely out of reach. So I'm hoping it's just a case of sticking with the flexibility training and making a conscious effort to force the knees out and keep the feet flat and weight central. I'm familiar with Kelly and mwod, thank you for the links

ReputationRep:
    C&J

Snatch

If anyone could look at these and suggest how I can improve, It'd be appreciated. I feel like my jerk and my snatch in particular could be improved quite a bit, but I'm not sure what to focus on... So I've been doing shoulder dislocates daily for the past week or so to work on shoulder mobility (so I can do some overhead squatting and catch my snatch lower).

ReputationRep:
    I'm far from an expert, but it looks like you're muscling the weight around too much because you've not quite got your second pull right yet. Reckon you'll be lifting more weight pretty quick if you sort that out. In your snatch and clean, remember the majority of the force should come from vigorous hip and knee (and maybe ankle) extension and not so much from arm pull. Wait a bit longer, and maybe try training more from the hang to get the right idea? Once you've got your second pull you need to be focussed on getting under that bar as fast as you can, atm it looks like you're catching it very high (looks like you could power clean 70 comfortably?) then riding it down, and this won't work at heavier weight.

Your snatch atm is more of a power snatch but you're starfishing it a bit - you should be receiving the snatch with your feet at the same width as your overhead squat (very close to or the same as your back/front squat stance). You say you're doing shoulder dislocations to catch your snatch lower, but I think you'd automatically be able to catch it lower if you just brought your stance in a bit since you already seem to have great hip mobility. How bad is your shoulder mob?

Jerk wise, I'm not sure but it seems your back heel is flat on the floor - it doesn't need to be / shouldn't be. You're jerking very shallowly and that again will knock a lot of weight off your max.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Appeal to reason)
    I'll try and keep my advice actionable because some stuff is very annoying to explain via internet. I personally think riding down powers is ok because I think it is very hard to coach getting just enough oomph into the bar to catch rock bottom with no riding down.

Snatch
    • Slow down on the first pull
    • Stay over the bar a bit more
    • Less arms/more hips and legs
    • Actively pull under (I like to do snatch balance from the tip toes to 'get' the lower body bit of this)

Jerk
    • Get under the bar. The bar doesn't need to go that high to make it.
    • Push your front knee out, it's collapsing in.
    • Get on your toes for your back leg. Preferably bend it more as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    I'm far from an expert, but it looks like you're muscling the weight around too much because you've not quite got your second pull right yet. Reckon you'll be lifting more weight pretty quick if you sort that out. In your snatch and clean, remember the majority of the force should come from vigorous hip and knee (and maybe ankle) extension and not so much from arm pull. Wait a bit longer, and maybe try training more from the hang to get the right idea? Once you've got your second pull you need to be focussed on getting under that bar as fast as you can, atm it looks like you're catching it very high (looks like you could power clean 70 comfortably?) then riding it down, and this won't work at heavier weight.

Your snatch atm is more of a power snatch but you're starfishing it a bit - you should be receiving the snatch with your feet at the same width as your overhead squat (very close to or the same as your back/front squat stance). You say you're doing shoulder dislocations to catch your snatch lower, but I think you'd automatically be able to catch it lower if you just brought your stance in a bit since you already seem to have great hip mobility. How bad is your shoulder mob?

Jerk wise, I'm not sure but it seems your back heel is flat on the floor - it doesn't need to be / shouldn't be. You're jerking very shallowly and that again will knock a lot of weight off your max.
    Yeah, I'm planning on starting Pendlay's beginner routine in january, which would have me alternating the full lifts and hang variations from one workout to the next, and I could even just do hang variations for the first few weeks until I get my second pull nailed. Yeah, I have Power cleaned 80kg before, its my jerk that was preventing me from attempting anything more than 70kg. Surely if you can power clean the weight, your pull on a full clean would end that high anyway? If you were to get under the bar before then you'd just be cutting the second pull short?

I noticed the stance thing as well, its not as bad with lower weights, its just something that creeps in the heavier the bar gets - it avoids having to squat down properly. With regards to shoulder mob: I can't do an overhead squat anywhere near parallel with a snatch grip. I have to take an even wider grip to get anywhere near parallel (still can't quite make it), but at that width I can't hook grip so can't snatch. (and the bar is no longer in the correct place at the end of the second pull - it would be above the hip crease).

(Original post by The Blind Monk)
    I'll try and keep my advice actionable because some stuff is very annoying to explain via internet. I personally think riding down powers is ok because I think it is very hard to coach getting just enough oomph into the bar to catch rock bottom with no riding down.

Snatch
    • Slow down on the first pull
    • Stay over the bar a bit more
    • Less arms/more hips and legs
    • Actively pull under (I like to do snatch balance from the tip toes to 'get' the lower body bit of this)

Jerk
    • Get under the bar. The bar doesn't need to go that high to make it.
    • Push your front knee out, it's collapsing in.
    • Get on your toes for your back leg. Preferably bend it more as well.
    What kind of weight on the bar would you recommend doing technique work to address these? I struggle to get anything to feel right with just the bar, it doesn't feel like there's enough resistance?

ReputationRep:
    It's a skill thing. You should be able to get the right feeling with just the bar. Personally, I like to do my technique work with 40kg because 10kg plates are the smallest full size plates you can drop without damaging the plates.

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone advise me on how to improve my squat form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Womre3iZtpY

and my Bent-Over Rows:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-SGlTIfTuo

Thanks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.