Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When will we relinquish Las Malvinas? watch

ReputationRep:
    I like to call them 'The Falklands', and No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsplaya)
    Which is why I support proportional representation. People shouldn't have to ask for democracy it is a right our country gives to all eligible citizens.
    They have their own democratic government though. I suppose the undemocratic aspect is that the UK can in theory overrule their government.

Another option to avoid them being over-represented if they were to vote in UK general elections would be to attach them to an existing constituency. Kind of like how Gibraltar is treated as part of South West England in Euro elections. Or perhaps if the same thing happened with other BOTs, the smaller ones could form a constituency together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chadya)
    What actual purpose do they serve? It's population is the same size as a small village, and we spend millions each year defending them. For what benefit? I keep hearing of oil, but when will that be harvested? I really am fed up of seeing my money go into defending Las Malvinas. I don't care if the inhabitants want to remain British. If they like it so much they can move here.

Should we just let these islands go?
    *Falklands.

ReputationRep:
    I can't see it happening in our lifetimes.

ReputationRep:
    What actual purpose do they serve? It's population is the same size as a small village, and we spend millions each year defending them. For what benefit? I keep hearing of oil, but when will that be harvested? I really am fed up of seeing my money go into defending Las Malvinas. I don't care if the inhabitants want to remain British. If they like it so much they can move here.

Should we just let these islands go?
    There is no such place called that- there are the Falkland Islands though, perhaps you mean them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    There is no such place called that- there are the Falkland Islands though, perhaps you mean them?
    If you wish to be pedantic, then yes, when will stop being so protective over The Falklands (those useless bits of rock 8,000 miles away)?

ReputationRep:
    when will stop being so protective over The Falklands (those useless bits of rock 8,000 miles away)?
    When Argentina realises it's wrong to dictate to a population who have lived on the islands for two hundred years that they have no right to self-determination and that Argentina has the right to grab territory on the basis of a dodgy land claim in the early part of the 19th century.

If a stranger stands outside your house and says they quite fancy taking it over and will force you to live under their rules, do you just surrender and hand them the keys?

ReputationRep:
    If you wish to be pedantic, then yes, when will stop being so protective over The Falklands (those useless bits of rock 8,000 miles away)?
    They are not useless to the people who live there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the mezzil)
    They are not useless to the people who live there.
    They're also particularly handy for fishing, oil and terratorial claims to the antartic.

But as the people wish to remain British, have the highest GDP per Capita in Latin America even before the oil has been exploited andare thoroughly nice people. I'll guess they'll be British for some time.

Did you know that at the start of the 20th Century. Argentina was the 8th Richest country in the world?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.