Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If You Were Offered A Space On A One-Way Trip To The Gliese 581 Star System.... Watch

• View Poll Results: Would You Accept The Offer?
    Yes.
    25.53%
    No.
    74.47%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    When I die, will by body be buried there?

USING THE TSR APP
    It will be - however, if you live for several more decades, there is a chance that mankind will have advanced to a sufficient state to have been able to send out extra missions to Gliese which are returnable.

In other words, you *might* get to see your loved ones/Earth again - but this is a remote possibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    It will be - however, if you live for several more decades, there is a chance that mankind will have advanced to a sufficient state to have been able to send out extra missions to Gliese which are returnable.

In other words, you *might* get to see your loved ones/Earth again - but this is a remote possibility.
    So 6 people are coming
    What if everybody died, and I'm the only one left? In the middle of nowhere? Trapped? Nobody to talk to? Nobody to communicate with?

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Would I be awake for the 5 years assuming we didn't find a habitable planet? That's why I said 10 years
    Yes, but not at a stretch - i.e. in 6-month stretches.

Whilst food provisions will only be available for those 5 years in the event of not finding a viable planet, the ship's energy will begin to fail only after 20 years total journey time (i.e. 5 years after the above 5 years). But if you ration strictly, you might just able to manage those extra 5 years, otherwise you would have died of hunger before the ship fails.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. So, contact with other humans is a major, major factor.

I noted in the OP about the remote possibility of other missions being sent to Gliese in the decades after you've gone, but this might not be enough to sway your minds?
    I think the Mars One is only considered interesting because you'd act as the first step towards greater colonisation, with a relatively small time frame until new members arrived.

Personally I'd be 10x more attracted to going to Mars than Gliese, purely on that basis :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Not a chance - I would probably grow to hate the 6 people plus if they are only procreators I'm out.

ReputationRep:
    So 6 people are coming
    What if everybody died, and I'm the only one left? In the middle of nowhere? Trapped? Nobody to talk to? Nobody to communicate with?

USING THE TSR APP
    6, but including the billionaire who will be in stasis for the entire period.

There are contingency plans - however, they rely on there being a minimum of 3 members to operate the ship.

Clarify if you mean on-board on on-planet?

ReputationRep:
    6, but including the billionaire who will be in stasis for the entire period.

There are contingency plans - however, they rely on there being a minimum of 3 members to operate the ship.

Clarify if you mean on-board on on-planet?
    On-planet, sorry I didn't mention.

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I think the Mars One is only considered interesting because you'd act as the first step towards greater colonisation, with a relatively small time frame until new members arrived.

Personally I'd be 10x more attracted to going to Mars than Gliese, purely on that basis :beard:
    Yet, if a planet in Gliese in found to be habitable, that would be fantastic in of itself. Additionally, there is still the remote possibility that in a few decades after you've gone, there *might* be additional missions sent out (but they are contingent upon a number of important factors).

But I do see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    You're not going to Mars. :lolwut:
    I must have only read the first 10 or so words of the title. I think I was reading some actual article about a mars mission a few hours ago.

ReputationRep:
    On-planet, sorry I didn't mention.

USING THE TSR APP
    It does depend on what stage you're on in the settlement-building process. As the "machines" and equipments that will be used in the settlement-building process are quasi-robotic, they will need the guidance of all team-members. So, if you got the settlements set up yet and you're missing the rest of the team, you might have a big problem because there will be limited contingency plans for such an event. It would really depend on how welcoming the environment of the planet is - if it is really harsh, you're in trouble; if not, you might be able to get by, but the mission would be on the point of failure as it also relies on "colonizing" which requires the minimum amount of team-members still participating.

In the event you have the domed settlements built and all of your team members have somehow died, you will have to cross your fingers and pray that mankind advances rapidly in tech so that an additional mission will reach you soon - but that *may* take decades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SnoochToTheBooch)
    **** that. it'd be fun for about 5 minutes then the novelty of being on mars would wear off and you'd be like "...this was a stupid thing to do".
    You obviously didn't read more than 3 words of the title.............

ReputationRep:
    Does the fame you will get after you die outweigh the fact you may not enjoy yourself whilst there?

In my opinion, no

USING THE TSR APP
    For some people, it might do. But it would depend on one's priority - the experience of travelling through space and out of our known neighborhood might be enough in itself to "enjoy", but I do see where you're coming from.

ReputationRep:
    No. If there is no guarantee of a habitable planet, then the entire trip is useless and you might as well send a probe. There is also a risk of death if you can't find a habitable planet, so I'd pass.

ReputationRep:
    For some people, it might do. But it would depend on one's priority - the experience of travelling through space and out of our known neighborhood might be enough in itself to "enjoy", but I do see where you're coming from.
    Yes, but I imagine that any enjoyment that you derive from it will wear off during 10-15 solid years of travel with no other human contact apart from 5 other people.

ReputationRep:
    Are the girls fit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siwelmail)
    You obviously didn't read more than 3 words of the title.............
    nah it was more like 10

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatPerson)
    Yes, but I imagine that any enjoyment that you derive from it will wear off during 10-15 solid years of travel with no other human contact apart from 5 other people.
    This is true. But you will be in stasis for half of the total journey time, given that you will be "awake" (i.e. not in stasis) every 6 months before returning to stasis again for another 6 months.

(Original post by bssjonny)
    Are the girls fit?
    As you are the first participant to be chosen, you will be given the option of noting your preferences in relation to females and whilst looking for the other participants, your preferences will be taken into account when pooling; however, it is not guaranteed that your preferences will be noted and no promises will be made to take heed of your preferences.

ReputationRep:
    You won't. As I stated, due to clandestine advances, ship journey time will be 10 years even though Gliese is 22 light years away. However, this was a one-time thing. It will take a decade or more (and even that's contingent on spending, willing donors, political climate and cooperation) to replicate the tech used to make the ship travel fast.
    "clandestine advances" would not allow the breaking of the fundamental laws of physics; nothing with mass can travel faster then the speed of light because as an object gets closer to the speed of light the required energy to accelerate approaches infinity.

ReputationRep:
    I'd take the offer because if you think about it, your family get £100m which will keep them financially secure for a couple of generations. On top of that, you go down in history and basically create a future settlement.

ReputationRep:
    You won't. As I stated, due to clandestine advances, ship journey time will be 10 years even though Gliese is 22 light years away. However, this was a one-time thing. It will take a decade or more (and even that's contingent on spending, willing donors, political climate and cooperation) to replicate the tech used to make the ship travel fast.
    I feel mathematically obliged to tell you that I think this is already possible - it would take something like 100 years Earth time, but in spaceship time (which is different due to special relativity) it would take about five years (just guessing numbers here, but if you can travel 44,000 light years in 20 years, I'm sure 22 light years is possible). See the bottom of page 47;
    http://www.maths.ox.ac.uk/system/fil...seLectures.pdf

I don't think I would go unless I knew there was a planet out there at least as interesting as Earth though. One human lifetime is far too short to see everything here, so I think you would just start to realise how amazing Earth is. Plus, I've spent a month on a tiny ship before, and I can imagine the novelty wears thin.

My heart says 'go' though

(Original post by hungergeist)
    "clandestine advances" would not allow the breaking of the fundamental laws of physics; nothing with mass can travel faster then the speed of light because as an object gets closer to the speed of light the required energy to accelerate approaches infinity.
    See above. It is possible, but the time taken from the point of view of Earth will be different from that on the spaceship.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.