Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

M157 - Motion to Commemorate Sir Robert Edwards Watch

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaki_B)
    Also, in response to the debate about Sir Robert Edwards bringing a 'my baby anti-adoption culture', it is one thing adopting someone else's child and learning to love and bond with it as your own, but it is completely different to experience pregnancy, developing that special bond and give birth to your own child and such an experience that many women could not have if it wasn't for IVF. But as mentioned, it's such a pointless motion and I feel by voting in agreement with it will only encourage more pointless motions to be brought forward.
    But to deny a child without a home one for a scientifically created baby just so you can experience pregnancy is utterly wrong. 17,041 babies were born through IVF in the UK in 2010-2011Source compared to just 3,050 adoptions in 2011 only 60 of which were under the age of one..Source Given we have a national looked after children crisis with 91,000 children defined as looked after last year the fact IVF babies so gigantically outnumber adopted children is sickening and we certainly shouldn't be glorifying IVF and the my baby culture. Those 17,041 parents were potential adopters and clearly wanted children badly enough to go through IVF, I'd bet on them looking at adoption if it wasn't there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    But to deny a child without a home one for a scientifically created baby just so you can experience pregnancy is utterly wrong. 17,041 babies were born through IVF in the UK in 2010-2011Source compared to just 3,050 adoptions in 2011 only 60 of which were under the age of one..Source Given we have a national looked after children crisis with 91,000 children defined as looked after last year the fact IVF babies so gigantically outnumber adopted children is sickening and we certainly shouldn't be glorifying IVF and the my baby culture. Those 17,041 parents were potential adopters and clearly wanted children badly enough to go through IVF, I'd bet on them looking at adoption if it wasn't there.
    Yes, but you have to look at it from the parents perspective. Many women want to experience giving birth, the bond during pregnancy and seeing their genes in their child - it's a completely different emotional road. Looking at it from another perspective (just to try and perhaps bring in more debate?), why do we have so many children up for adoption? Yes, I think more needs to be done to encourage adoption as much as possible, perhaps allow a couple to go through IVF once but after that try to persuade them to adopt if they want more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaki_B)
    Yes, but you have to look at it from the parents perspective. Many women want to experience giving birth, the bond during pregnancy and seeing their genes in their child - it's a completely different emotional road. Looking at it from another perspective (just to try and perhaps bring in more debate?), why do we have so many children up for adoption? Yes, I think more needs to be done to encourage adoption as much as possible, perhaps allow a couple to go through IVF once but after that try to persuade them to adopt if they want more.
    I'll never see wanting to experience pregnancy as an acceptable rational for having a baby. And in terms of seeing their genes, that's the my baby culture I hate. Whilst I'm not in favour of banning IVF, I'm against this kind of glorification of it.

ReputationRep:
    I shall be abstaining on this motion, I am not against the work he has done nor am I against families using IVF however I think it is absurd to glorify such a method when there are thousands of children in care that need loving families. I do understand that many women wish to experience birth and many men wish to see their genes passed on but the children in care should take priority over an IVF baby.

ReputationRep:
    Aye

ReputationRep:
    Lol at this motion. So enticing.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    Division! Clear the lobby!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.