Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    One of the best chicanes in F1 was the final turns at Istanbul Park. You always got drivers diving up the inside, taking a wider line to get a better slipstream for the pit straight. There was always action. To have an exciting race, you need exciting corners and Istanbul Park got it right.
    That, and it had the pit entrance slap bang in the middle of it. THAT was exciting. I love that track. Was ragging round it vs my housemate and some AI only the other day. :moon:

ReputationRep:

Don't care what they have to say. If they wanted to make a difference they'd have made proper protest action during the ratification process of the 2013 calendar. Idiots.

Although, I wouldn't mind the Grand Prix getitng canned. Never liked the track. It's only defining moment in history was as the location of the mercurial SUPER AGURI team's F1 debut. Oh, and also the only front-row lockout in Toyota's history but, it's Toyota, so who cares? I couldn't care less if it wasn't on the calendar.

Kimi was strong here last year, hopefully he can get another win on the board this weekend.

ReputationRep:
    One of the best chicanes in F1 was the final turns at Istanbul Park. You always got drivers diving up the inside, taking a wider line to get a better slipstream for the pit straight. There was always action. To have an exciting race, you need exciting corners and Istanbul Park got it right.
    Agreed, it's such a fantastic track. Sad that it's wasted on a location that has limited interest in the sport and limited funding, it's a track that deserves to be on the calender.

ReputationRep:
    The DRS setup for this race looks quite interesting; the second zone doesn't follow directly after the first, which could make for some interesting strategies in the race.

ReputationRep:
    I think the number of times DRS can be used in the race should be limited.

Maybe limited to something like 5 times in total. It would stop the DRS trains that you get when numerous cars are within the zonez to each other, and also make strategies/defense more interesting.

I thought the whole point of the DRS was to avoid situations like Alonso-Petrov in Abu Dhabi where a faster car is stuck behind a slower car forever. Instead it's just made overtaking look so frivolous.

I use the term 'overtake' very loosely now anyway, it's just passing not really overtaking in a pure sense.

ReputationRep:
    Imo, the best use of DRS is when its used in the same way as KERS; you have a limited time of DRS per lap that you can use wherever you want. In the race this could lead to a myriad of possibilities. Though after the ban on using DRS across the whole lap in qualifying this is now unlikely..

Restricting the number of times it can be used in a race is perhaps more feasible with the direction F1 is heading in. Five uses of DRS in a race sounds like a good number too. Since it should only be used when you absolutely have to get past a slower car, you shouldn't need it too often.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully Merc can improve their race pace. They seem to be alright on the medium tyres.
    Yea, i expect them to be fighitng for pole but Kimi/Alonso fighitng for the win.

(Original post by SciFiRory)
    hopefully yeah, can definitely see another Hamilton pole here so that's their main issue right now (race pace), so glad they ditched the softs for this race, they were a piss take in Malaysia.
    They were a bit extreme but it was awesome watching Vettel flying at the end so quickly and gaining on the others. If he had pitted one lap earlier he could have got third place.

(Original post by FATchristopher)
    The Bahrain grand prix should be boycotted because of the human rights violation that are happening there. The people are protesting against the government and are being oppressed. Its not shown in the news but its happening. Peaceful protesters are being killed, children have died due to tear gas suffocation. The government are going to crack down further ahead of the grand prix. Saudi Arabia and Dubai are helping them oppress the people.
    Whereas China where they were last week has no human rights problems at all?

Wait that's not all over the news atm so no one cares.

F1 is not a political tool. It's a motoracing series.

ReputationRep:
    Drop DRS entirely.
    Make softs last 20 laps.
    Keep all of the other 2014 regs, including ERS in it's entirety.

F1 would be pretty beast then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Yea, i expect them to be fighitng for pole but Kimi/Alonso fighitng for the win.

They were a bit extreme but it was awesome watching Vettel flying at the end so quickly and gaining on the others. If he had pitted one lap earlier he could have got third place.

Whereas China where they were last week has no human rights problems at all?

Wait that's not all over the news atm so no one cares.

F1 is not a political tool. It's a motoracing series.
    Are there mass protests happening in China? NO. People have no idea what is going on in Bahrain. Read about it, please.

The issue is that should a sporting event be held in the country at a time where the people are being oppressed and killed. If your priority is F1 over basic human rights then go ahead and watch and support the tyrants.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I just want flat out racing, with a little bit of tyre saving.

The Bridgestones were pretty good, you could push hard for 10 laps, but still had to do a little tyre management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stramala)

Don't care what they have to say. If they wanted to make a difference they'd have made proper protest action during the ratification process of the 2013 calendar. Idiots.

Although, I wouldn't mind the Grand Prix getitng canned. Never liked the track. It's only defining moment in history was as the location of the mercurial SUPER AGURI team's F1 debut. Oh, and also the only front-row lockout in Toyota's history but, it's Toyota, so who cares? I couldn't care less if it wasn't on the calendar.

Kimi was strong here last year, hopefully he can get another win on the board this weekend.
    Your an idiot if you think proper protests haven't been happening over the LAST 2 YEARS. Media don't portray whats really happening.

ReputationRep:
    Are there mass protests happening in China? NO. People have no idea what is going on in Bahrain. Read about it, please.
    Oh deary me :facepalm:

Stories from this week alone:

http://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/wo...lation-protest

http://www.thetibetpost.com/en/news/...ng-21-arrested

http://www.rfa.org/english/news/tibe...013190858.html

http://www.phayul.com/news/article.a...udent&id=33337

People have no idea what is going on in China. Read about it, please :rolleyes:

Didn't you say that the news is not covering it but it's happening? So it is, for China, India, Brazil etc.
    Human rights violations in plenty of places.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are mass protests happening in China but they have even stricter media so it's less in the news.

I have read about it ffs. I know whats happening but you act like it's happening in one country and not others when you're the one that is illinformed on this topic. Lots of other countries have mass protest but Bahrain protesting is the current "hip" topic to go get angry about on the internet.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, there are mass protests happening in China but they have even stricter media so it's less in the news.

I have read about it ffs. I know whats happening but you act like it's happening in one country and not others when you're the one that is illinformed on this topic. Lots of other countries have mass protest but Bahrain protesting is the current "hip" topic to go get angry about on the internet.
    Thats not really the argument is it. The argument is should F1 be held in Bahrain or China or wherever it may be, at the same time as mass protests and human rights violations are going on (Whats happening in Bahrain is far worse compared to China, in terms of anti-protest tactics by the government).

This will be the last I speak on this forum because I hate getting in these stupid forum arguments. Btw you shouldn't assume I'm simply saying this because its the "hip" thing right now. You don't know me, so you shouldn't judge the sincerity of my beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to be watching free practise sessions?

I will be watching FP1 at 8am then gym then should be back in time for FP2 but the gf will be arriving at the same time and whilst she likes the races she doesn't care about FP sessions.

ReputationRep:
    following the thread.

Think its going to be another Alonso/Raikonen weekend. Though with tyre choice think redbull may be more in the mix.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to be watching free practise sessions?

I will be watching FP1 at 8am then gym then should be back in time for FP2 but the gf will be arriving at the same time and whilst she likes the races she doesn't care about FP sessions.
    Haven't watched FP sessions live so far this season, got too much work to do. I record them and then fast forward through most of it...I get through both sessions within an hour :laugh:

But it's very insightful, and now that we're part of a fantasy F1 league it's even more important to gauge how cars are behaving.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone up watching the F1 then? I love just drive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stringer987)
    Anyone up watching the F1 then? I love just drive!
    Yea, i'm up, Missed the first 20 minutes but still have seen the one timed lap so far.

ReputationRep:
    Yea, i'm up, Missed the first 20 minutes but still have seen the one timed lap so far.

You missed my mention then? First ever time theyve read one of my tweets!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.