Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Gaining muscle and losing bf at the same time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it goes against popular opinion, but i always felt if you did Weight training alongside some high intensity cardio (I like to do skipping and heavy bag work) , and make sure you eat clean , as in wholemeal carbs, enough protein and low fat (no fast food!!!) you can build muscle and lower your body fat

worked for me

ReputationRep:
    What help is itr to the poster to have so many different answers?! it is all genetics try it if it works great, if it does not try something else, what works for one will not work for everyone!!

ReputationRep:
    It's possible. I think it becomes more difficult once you reach your genetic potential and you plateau or you're naturally very skinny.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ronki23)
    You cannot lose fat and build muscle at the same time. However, you can increase muscle and decrease bodyfat % which means you put on more muscle than fat and the proportions change. If you're weak and skinny then doing cardio daily will stop your gains as you can't recover.

Lower carbs can work when losing weight but for trying to add mass you need carbs. Maybe in-between the amount you've have when you're extreme dieting and the amount you have when bulking up
    This exactly.

You can certainly increase you muscle mass without adding too much if any fat into your body, effectively changing lowering your body fat % as the ration of muslce to fat will increase. However to lose the amount of fat your body currently holds and at the same time increase muscle mass isn't possible. To lose fat you need a calorie deficit, to gain muscle you need a calorie surplus, can't do both at the same time.

Also as ronki said carbs are important when gaining muscle mass, you need carbs and protein. Many people don't realise how important carbs play in muscle gaining. A good good rule of thumb with regards to carbs is, eat plenty of carbs on lifting days, but keep the low/lower on non lifitng days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    This exactly.

You can certainly increase you muscle mass without adding too much if any fat into your body, effectively changing lowering your body fat % as the ration of muslce to fat will increase. However to lose the amount of fat your body currently holds and at the same time increase muscle mass isn't possible. To lose fat you need a calorie deficit, to gain muscle you need a calorie surplus, can't do both at the same time.

Also as ronki said carbs are important when gaining muscle mass, you need carbs and protein. Many people don't realise how important carbs play in muscle gaining. A good good rule of thumb with regards to carbs is, eat plenty of carbs on lifting days, but keep the low/lower on non lifitng days.
    Newbs can lose fat and gain muscle. I did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kelly3.htm

I've been following this for a while in terms of nutrition, I do my own workouts though with the same intervals, just on different days. It's definitely working, but you have to be pretty serious to follow it through. Good luck =)

(Original post by silent ninja)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm assuming he's plateaued, beginners can easily shed fat and gain muscle, since their ratios tend to be pretty awful.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I would assume you lost a lot due to a boost in your metabolism and the shock of starting lifting for the first time. But it doesn't last, also I would imagine over the so many months of being a newb lifter you lost the fat first the gained the mass.

ReputationRep:
    135lbs?? How tall are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    im 131.6lb now at 5'6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Just do one big bulk, then cut your BF

Remember this is a lifestyle, so what is the rush?

I want to looke swole for uni. I can't stand just being an average kid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3 Phase Duck)
    This exactly.

I'll do this thanks. I think I have been doing it already though. Is 80-120g of carbs on lifting days ok?

When I didn't know about unused carbs = fat promotion , on lifting days I ate 505g of carbs. since college has started I unintentionally went from 152-131.6.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Blade)
    I'll do this thanks. I think I have been doing it already though. Is 80-120g of carbs on lifting days ok?

When I didn't know about unused carbs = fat promotion , on lifting days I ate 505g of carbs. since college has started I unintentionally went from 152-131.6.
    Carbs are essential in building muscle - they are the macro that you can manipulate the most to get your results, so that is where you need to focus your diet around. How carbs affect you really varies from person to person. So that is something to experiment with.

For a bulk, I go at about these levels:

Protein: 1.1-1.2g/lb
    Carbs: 2g/lb
    Fats: 0.5g/lb (maximum)

For a cut:

Protein: 1.25g/lb
    Carbs: I cycle, usually with 2 "high" or "refeed" days @ 2g/lb, but the rest at 0.9-1g/lb
    Fats: 0.3-0.4g/lb

This is just what works for me. I've been able to lower my carbs down to these levels without losing much muscle mass at all. Just make sure that when hitting your macro levels (whatever you set them at) that you eat clean to reach them, and it'll go a long way assuming you set them even somewhat accurately.

As stated previously, you cannot lose a large amount of fat while gaining a large amount of muscle. One requires a calorie deflect (-500), and another is gaining more calories (500+). You can however alternate what you eat in order to minimize fat gains: eating the good carbs on weight-lifting days will generally increase your energy and thus having a better workout, but only the good carbs. Do not start eating a lot of sugar and fats. Stick to the rule of thumb above, and you should be fine.

Depending on your weight, either bulk or lose fat at first. If you're skinny, go for a bulking phase, but a clean bulking phase. Eat good fats, carbs, and protein. If you have a bit of fat after, you can then process your cutting phase.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I think when I see people micro managing their diet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf6yRDhZp60&sns=em

Seriously. You're trying to fine tune your car before you can drive. Do the basics. Stop being silly.

I can attest to the above. I generally eat whatever (with the aim of getting a good amount of protein), and I don't even count my calories, and I lost 2 stone and put on a decent amount of muscle in 6-8 months. Some of you have a tendency to look too far in to stuff and get ahead of yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tatsbrosfitness)
    When cutting your strength may decrease slightly as it is inevitable that you will lose some muscle along with the fat. There isn't really a way to increase the weight you're lifting during a cut as that is associated with strength increases.

Lower your calories until you lose the weight and then increase them again once you're happy with how you're looking.

Good luck bro!
    Thats what I find annoying the constant changing when the calories are increased more weight is put on and bulking occurs, which then has to be cut again, I prefere a regular routine not swapping ad changing.

I dont want to bulk as such I just want to increase my srength for sports performance (by doing weights twice a week) but at the same time i want to lose fat to look more toned. I do a lot of interval track work too and just hope for the best lol

ReputationRep:
    im 131.6lb now at 5'6
    Well you don't need to target losing body fat then, you're probably not much over the ideal anyway...? I was skinny as all hell when I was 70kg at 6 foot!

Just hit them weights and any fat have should fit in fine with your muscles, just make sure you don't overeat if your body 'fattens' naturally

ReputationRep:
    Sorry bro,lean gains take a long time.
    Either bulk and cut or take your time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

I can't say what how many carbs for you is ok only your body can tell you that. However depending on your goal, if you want to bulk and limit fat intake I thing you want to have carbs at roughly 25% of your overall calorie intake. But again this may not be the case for you, you may need more or less.

Also 505g, that's nothing, when I was rowing competitively I was eating carbs until they came out my eyeballs but still had a very low bodyfat %.

ReputationRep:
    It is possible but its incredibly hard and takes a ****load of dedication and willpower. I did it for 2 months and it suprisingly worked

My plan was to train as I usually would but manipulate my diet and carbs, some days would be over maintenance and some would be under, cutting out almost all my carbs

Screw the diet stuff, way too complicated. Just try lifting weights and eating healthy. If you dont achieve what you hoped, only then should you study the rocket science it seems that goes along with body building. Like someone else said tho, everybody is different and will probably require some sort of personalized input in their routine. Sounds major head work!

ReputationRep:
    You can. It's called recomping. It's difficult to do sucesfully and takes longer than bulking/cutting. Look at lyle mcdonald's UD2.0 if you are interested. /thread

ReputationRep:
    Its possible, one of my mates went on this carb backloading diet in the summer, where he would be low carb on rest days and pre workout & time his workouts in the evening and absolutely eat loads of carbs with protein 4 hours post workout with low fat and looked amazing at the end but said it was such a drag and not possible if you've got work/uni/school. The idea around it is that the body after the workout the muscle is more likely to use up the carb & not store it as fat, but due to low carbs during the day his bf will be burnt for energy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.