Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xania*)
    Hi! Are you talking about the self catered rooms they have in the city center? Is the location good? I've never been in Edinburgh before and I'm still a bit lost with the neighborhoods...
    They have flats that they sublet They're not really in the city centre, more just outside of it. My flat was in Dalry, which is about 20-30 mins from the uni and 10-15 mins into Princes Street, there's about 4 different buses you can take that will take you straight into the city centre. Good places to find a flat would be Haymarket, Dalry, Gorgie and Foutainbridge.

ReputationRep:
    I just accepted my online offer for on campus accommodation. Christina miller west. It's a self catered room, en suite in new halls. But the rent is a pain in the ass. I'm an international though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys!

Another girl and I were also hesitating a lot... Staying in the city center is quite far away, so we found something in Slateford. It's a really pretty flat 25 min from HW and 20 min from the city center. Would that be a good choice as a first year postgrad? Also only for one year!

Btw: We are still looking for one person to join us..! It might be you!

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone know are the rooms mixed? Like boys and girls.. or are there separate halls for both or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Irish-Cailin)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Does anyone know are the rooms mixed? Like boys and girls.. or are there separate halls for both or what?
    Mixed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

So all kitchens and bathrooms are shared with male and female unless you have an ensuite?

ReputationRep:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

So all kitchens and bathrooms are shared with male and female unless you have an ensuite?
    Ah sorry I believe that non ensuite has segregated kitchens and bathrooms. I just forgot because there are barely any non ensuite rooms. I believe it's less than 50 compared to over 1000 en suite?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjrm95)
    Ah sorry I believe that non ensuite has segregated kitchens and bathrooms. I just forgot because there are barely any non ensuite rooms. I believe it's less than 50 compared to over 1000 en suite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah okay thanks. So its just the building that is mixed then and your flatmates aren't?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay thanks. So its just the building that is mixed then and your flatmates aren't?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was in non Ensuite last year.

We had a flat of 10, 2 bathrooms and 2 kitchens. 5 in each kitchen. One kitchen had 2 girls and 3 guys, the other kitchen was all guys. The whole thing was open plan except rooms and kitchens, so it was Upto to you to decide amongst yourselves who went in what bathroom. We decided as a group that the 8 guys would share one bathroom, but the compromise being that we got the better shower.

Every corridor has at least 2 bathrooms so there's the option to distinguish males/females

For what it's worth the non Ensuite halls are also more sociable.

ReputationRep:
    Confirmation at Lord Thomson Hall, room: 137 !
    Any neighbors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaypees89)
    Confirmation at Lord Thomson Hall, room: 137 !
    Any neighbors?
    Hey I got into G36! wea u from ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by petroll)
    Hey I got into G36! wea u from ??
    I am from India!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaypees89)
    I am from India!!!
    so am i ..check ur inbox!!

ReputationRep:
    Are the halls strict about having partners that don't live in the halls come and visit/stay overnight? I'm an international student and my Girlfriend is coming over to Edinburgh later on in the year, she'll get her own place but I'm expecting her to visit me a lot?

Can I get another key/pass that she can use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark_nz)
    Are the halls strict about having partners that don't live in the halls come and visit/stay overnight? I'm an international student and my Girlfriend is coming over to Edinburgh later on in the year, she'll get her own place but I'm expecting her to visit me a lot?

Can I get another key/pass that she can use?
    I think it should be fine. They did say that you should tell the warden but I only told him the first time I had guests staying over and it was fine. I mean there's people sleeping with each other in halls anyway so I don't imagine it'll be a problem! Not sure about the keys though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.