Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    I'm starting to read about matched betting, heard of it?

I'd probably be looking at 5-7 years with potential to increase the investment year on year by £2,500, if there's anything about.
    There is a thread on here that you might find useful.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...atched+betting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Makebelieve15)
    So, any ideas?
    Premium bonds are a difficult one to call. I know a couple who have £40k of premium bonds between them and they have won less than 3% interest on the amount. So you risk a very low return.

Stocks are notorious and I wouldn't bother unless you want to learn more about the industry and don't mind losing all/most of it.

I personally would just stick to ISAs, building society accounts http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/
    Just be happy with a 3-4% return, it is unfortunate but until you get big bucks no-one is really interested.

If you expect a reasonable income might be worth looking into endowments (ie legal and general), but they are a complicated business and again you need constant income to pay in every month.

ReputationRep:
    Who put a Neg against my post?? What do you expect to do with £2,500? Become a Millionaire? The best thing to do with that small amount of money is put it into an ISA until one decides what to do with it. It is better than it being in a current account or in cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    Believe what you wish. A quick google
    Unfortunately Apple have lost three of their greatest assets:

1 - Steve Jobs (RIP) absolute revolutionary, read into Apple's history he made and was the driving force of all the big great decisions (obviously not individually, but he is the picture of it)

2 - Their leadership in beautiful design, they have lost their flagship aluminium shaping as the patent expired and even HP are ripping them off. Iphone pretty much ripped off by Nexus 4.

3 - Investor and shareholder confidence, the above reasons compounded with the strong performance and backing of Samsung, Google etc.

Apple are an amazing company, but unless they pull something out of the bag they are not gonna be sitting on their own little mountain anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    Believe what you wish. A quick google search for the patents apple has been filing for 5 years will show you that nobody can beat them. The technology which is coming is mind-blowing, and it will be exclusive to apple.

You drop your iPhone by accident and it automatically rotates itself before impact to prevent the screen from being hit?

HEARD IT HERE FIRST
    Pretty sure my toast already does that.

Apple is still expensive (share-wise, and product-wise) for what it is. It'll decline steadily over the years and become just another struggling manufacturer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    Premium bonds are a difficult one to call. I know a couple who have £40k of premium bonds between them and they have won less than 3% interest on the amount. So you risk a very low return.

Stocks are notorious and I wouldn't bother unless you want to learn more about the industry and don't mind losing all/most of it.

I personally would just stick to ISAs, building society accounts http://www.moneysupermarket.com/savings/
    Just be happy with a 3-4% return, it is unfortunate but until you get big bucks no-one is really interested.

If you expect a reasonable income might be worth looking into endowments (ie legal and general), but they are a complicated business and again you need constant income to pay in every month.
    You assume that by investing in stocks the OP would lose all his or most of his money ? Why do people invest in stocks then ? or is it because it is possible to make money ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuzznbass)
    ISA's are good for the short term, yes but in the long term the OP wants something better , I'm backing stocks. You don't save up £2500 to have it eaten by inflation.
    Agreed. Maybe I should have read his post properly. As far as long term investment goes, that is above my paygrade . I worked for a well known Supermarket chain for five years in the boom years, and I hammered away five years of BAYE and SAYE shares in the company and invested heavily in ISA's, after five years of heavy saving, I left the company and made a huge profit when I sold my shares. Made enough to buy my house in full and buy a small bar in Scotland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelticSymphony67)
    Agreed. Maybe I should have read his post properly. As far as long term investment goes, that is above my paygrade . I worked for a well known Supermarket chain for five years in the boom years, and I hammered away five years of BAYE and SAYE shares in the company and invested heavily in ISA's, after five years of heavy saving, I left the company and made a huge profit when I sold my shares. Made enough to buy my house in full and buy a small bar in Scotland.
    Guess that beats bonds and 1.5% ISA's rates then

ReputationRep:
    Guess that beats bonds and 1.5% ISA's rates then
    Aye. I was buying £500 worth of shares at 95p a share (employee tied price) every four weeks after my Tax and NI deductions for five years. I left in 2007, with £28k shares invested, and sold them for £4.95 per share. I made a fortune.

ReputationRep:
    Aye. I was buying £500 worth of shares at 95p a share (employee tied price) every four weeks after my Tax and NI deductions for five years. I left in 2007, with £28k shares invested, and sold them for £4.95 per share. I made a fortune.
    Nice , that's what I'm talking about , I know alot of people work hard for their money but I think they should let their money work for them too, I hate seeing people mugged off by banks etc. I was thinking about investing some supermarkets too lol, I know my current place ( Sainsburys ) do a share save thing.

ReputationRep:
    Nice , that's what I'm talking about , I know alot of people work hard for their money but I think they should let their money work for them too, I hate seeing people mugged off by banks etc. I was thinking about investing some supermarkets too lol, I know my current place ( Sainsburys ) do a share save thing.
    I worked for Tesco, that is where I made my pennies. Share scheme when you work for Supermarkets are great. The more you put away, the more benefits you will see. I was only a team leader at Tesco's, I was not on big money so to speak, I just put £500 away, in safe SAYE scheme and the more risky BAYE scheme. They never used to have a cap on how much you could put away, but apparently they have a cap on it now, since the financial crisis, and Tesco Stock Price has tumbled, since 2007.

ReputationRep:
    I worked for Tesco, that is where I made my pennies. Share scheme when you work for Supermarkets are great. The more you put away, the more benefits you will see. I was only a team leader at Tesco's, I was not on big money so to speak, I just put £500 away, in safe SAYE scheme and the more risky BAYE scheme. They never used to have a cap on how much you could put away, but apparently they have a cap on it now, since the financial crisis, and Tesco Stock Price has tumbled, since 2007.
    Yeah Tesco aren't doing great, I need to find out more about the Sainsburys one but I think I missed the deadline for this year. These schemes are a good idea, especially as if you work in them you have essentially insider knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Tesco aren't doing great, I need to find out more about the Sainsburys one but I think I missed the deadline for this year. These schemes are a good idea, especially as if you work in them you have essentially insider knowledge.
    Exactly! I hope you get on the scheme soon and start making some money.

ReputationRep:
    Gold is usually a safe option. And it looks nice in your flat

ReputationRep:
    Exactly! I hope you get on the scheme soon and start making some money.
    Thank's I'm going to look into it, just saving up at the moment, I know they are expanding and I think they will do well in the future, I hope anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    Sainburys will do fine in the future. I like shopping there, can be expensive sometimes but it is a good shopping experience. I will tell you one thing, them store managers are on decent money.

ReputationRep:
    Sainburys will do fine in the future. I like shopping there, can be expensive sometimes but it is a good shopping experience. I will tell you one thing, them store managers are on decent money.
    Sainsbury's would be the supermarket I'd invest in. I also like M&S as an investment option.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the pay grade is very good, they get some benefits too I think like a lump sum towards a new car I think. I found the sharesave leaflet too, I'm going to have to wait till this December lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    Sainsbury's would be the supermarket I'd invest in. I also like M&S as an investment option.
    Yeah M&S would be a value shot, you could still do both though lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah M&S would be a value shot, you could still do both though lol
    I absolutely would do both and quite possibly will.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.